Match 22 - Slovenia vs USA - 18th June - PbP and Post Match Discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by Prawn Sandwich, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    If the US can get a goal they have a chance at a draw. They were getting dangerous chances before that 2nd goal slipped past them. They can do this, but they must score early in the 2nd half.

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    And if Serbia manages to draw against Australia, they'll be first in Group D and will face the second of Group C... which may be England, but it's too early to tell.

Then, Group C winner vs. Group D runner-up might be Slovenia vs. Germany.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exciting match so far. The US had chances, they need to come out strong in the 2nd half, and if they get an early goal then it's on.

4. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 is a very tricky score in soccer--all USA need is 1 goal and the tenor of the game immediately changes--assuming they dont allow in any more opposition goals.

5. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Time for Operation: Slovenian Freedom.

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    HT

We're being out-Americaned right now.

7. Lono

Lono Member

Jul 1, 2000
    Campinas, SP - Brasil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    This is the same John "Captain for Life" Harkes. Nothing he says surprises me anymore.

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am counting the minutes until he takes over in Portland or Vancouver.:mad:

9. summers

summers Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Not that it really matters much, but can the US appeal to FIFA to get that Findley yellow stricken from the record so he can play next game? I know appeals usually aren't granted, but that's such an egregious mistake by the official, you'd think if any appeal would be upheld, that would be the one.

10. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I said Slovenia had a bad day vs Algeria, on a good day they can however beat just about anyone.

11. Ronaldinho_M

Ronaldinho_M New Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    No it won't. Unless England bungles up against Algeria, Slovenia won't have anything to play for.

With Gemany losing to Serbia, there isn't even a "you need to make sure you win the group to avoid Germany" logic at play.

England will win that one handily, without Slovenia even trying. The schedule was great for the US if we could get a point today, but otherwise it clobbers us.

12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am upset. It is just liked 2006. The Americans had no problem with Italy, but played over confident against a weaker side.

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Slovenia started the match more brightly than the US and deserved taking the lead early in the first half. They continued being the better side, but ironically at around the time when the US was beginning to create good chances and looked like it would equalize, Slovenia ran a nice counterattack and put the result in the 1st half beyond doubt.

This match is still not over, but the result so far highlights what I have previously said about the US team: a "pesky" side as far as the elite teams are concerned, but quite beatable for decent sides that are aspiring themselves to make a name in the World Cup.

14. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Well...its not over...

BUt still, ref can prevail. No faul against Altidore and funny yellow card for Cesar, counter attack and he whistles and situation when the big guy at the back was pulling Novakovic in 1vs1 chance....

15. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sux, down 2-0. :mad:

16. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama

offside trap ain't working cause Gooch has been a step late every time.. he's not 100%..but who to sub in ???

17. kirktrobot

kirktrobot New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    St. Louis
    bye bradley I WON'T miss you

18. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe I waited four years to see my team - USA - play this poorly... we need to score... wow what a letdown... Robbie Findley?

19. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    I think the U.S are getting out-coached. I like their style of play but it's obvious that Slovenia has done it's homework and know how to counteract it. U.S on the other hand don't seem to realize that they are doing exactly what Slovenia expected them to do.

20. Lono

Lono Member

Jul 1, 2000
    Campinas, SP - Brasil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    2-0 can be a misleading score line. If the US manages a quick goal the momentum switches and Slovenia will be in panic mode. Not saying it is likely or unlikely, I'm just saying...

21. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    USA dont worry: ref will help or Slovenia will beat themselfes.

Dont worry...;)

Yes Lono, its better to not score.

22. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And who would that be?

Czech? Ghana? I wouldn't say either are them are weaker then the US if that's what you mean.

23. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The US needs subs at half. Bradley needs major changes if he wants to keep his job.

24. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The worst part is that it was not a secret what Slovenia were planning on doing. The entire build up to the match centered on their defense-to-counter transition game. And, yes, we did nothing to attempt to disrupt that style of play.

Typical World Cup, though. We come in on a high from CONCACAF, play like crap, while Mexico moves into the knockout rounds.

25. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    It would probably be pointless. FIFA never overturns referee decisions unless they're blatently incorrect in law. Judgement calls, like in this case, are always backed.