Match 22 - Slovenia vs USA - 18th June - PbP and Post Match Discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by Prawn Sandwich, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urko

urko New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Do you know how many times similar things happened??? so many that ppl lost count years ago.. It's a refs decision, either we like it or not..this time it was US turn..unfortunately.

But all im trying to say is, that despite the bad call, you guys should accept it. Ur still in the game and have better chances to go through than we actually.

I knew vuvuzela's wil be big problem not just for fans but for players also, as im sure if there were no vuvuzela's the US and SLO would turn to the ref looking at him why he blown the whistle...ball would fly by and noone would even touch it...
    This is why i said even if there was a goal, it wasnt.. hope u understand what i mean.

2. urko

urko New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I never said whistle should be blown.. im saying that decision was made..my post above explains why.

3. RobbyW

RobbyW New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I have known this for a long time:

BTW, my two favorite US players are Dempsey and Bocanegra. But sporting injuries piss me off. It's a game and you are playing against other human beings. If you are recklessly elbowing playing in the head - red card. And any ref not prepared for it, should not ref a match involving the US.

4. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say Dempsey really mixed it up rough with the Slovenians. Borderline dirty, and I also say this with Dempsey being one of my favorite players.

It's a tough game, and the ref didn't call the game well.

I think the result was fair. Slovenia was great in the first half, we owned the second half. We need to stop whining and take care of business against Algeria. Much respect to Slovenia, I hope they do a number on England, and join us in advancing from the group.

5. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    It's not Slovenia's fault that the referee made a mistake. They played a great game. In all fairness, the USA and the Slovenes would advance, but Algeria still has something to say. England, a bunch of neurotic frauds who are only capable in the minds of their deluded fans and their hack tabloids, are the worst team in the group.

Let's all laugh at England. It won't be long before they pretend that football is less important than cricket.

6. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, if the ref had blown the whistle while the ball was in the air heading toward the goal on both of Slovenia's goals, would you just have accepted it? Would you have said "it's the ref's decision," and said "Slovenia didn't score any goals and that happens in football?"

7. urko

urko New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Believe it or not we've been in similar situation, when we played qualifying game for world cup 06 and the ref has made bad calls throughout the game which cost us the easy win. So yes, i was angry and much more but i accepted it and moved on..nothing we could do, the decision was made, so we had to look for our chances in following games...

8. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but that wasn't what I asked you. Hypothetically speaking in this game, if this ref Coulibaly had whistled the plays dead on Slovenia's goals, with the balls in the air on their way to goal, today, would you just accept that an move on?

9. urko

urko New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    yes i would. at first i would be pissed..maybe another 20 or so mins. after the game, but would accept it..maybe fans that are not posting on forum have already, and here it's a little more difficult as we all kinda make the atmosphere, so it's little more difficult. I can understand your anger, but at the end of the day, you guys were 2 goals down, made an awesome comaback, and yes, could won the game, too. But don't forget ref made mistakes on both side, so with proper ref who knows how the game would turn out. This is why i see no point to be talking about that as ref took the game away long before that last free kick.

10. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, maybe you would. But I don't think most people would with the lack of an explanation. Accepting requires having it make some degree of sense. Bad calls people can understand--it's the phantom call that doesn't make sense that's different. We can argue about whether Dempsey's elbow in the first minute of the game should be yellow or red, we can argue about whether the contact that lead to the free kick in the first place was enough for a foul....those are things where everyone understands what was or wasn't called. And no matter how adamantly one held a position on such a debate, they'd accept it and move on. Heck, things like that happen in every game with offside calls, just as an example, and we move on in 30 seconds.

Problem here is we have nothing to go on. There's nothing to assess, dispute, understand and move on from. It's just a big mystery that makes no sense. I know the US coach has come up with "make up call" in order to allow the players to accept it and move on because they have no choice. I don't know that I buy that since I don't see what we're making up for...that lack of card on Dempsey...seems too bizarre since the whole game transpired in between. I think before we can move on, we just need a simple explanation. And we might gripe about it a great deal before we moved on, but that's what's needed...an explanation of what the call actually was just so we know it wasn't that he had the whistle in his mouth and coughed and blew it by accident.

11. urko

urko New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Well ur right..we could argue alot.was it a foul or not? foul on US player that enabled u to have free kick, or what foul? why disallowed goal, etc.. So many things happened that we sometimes forget what lead to the free kick anyway. And just because of what happened there, I'm saying that you guys could forget it. But i understand that appetite grows especially when someone make such a comeback..Im sure if u have been 2 goals down and this was the only goal from your side, we wouldnt talk much about that..

Unfortunately this has, is and will happen in future. And some things will never be told to the public. So yes, it will stay a big mystery...pretty sure there are plenty of those already.

Trust me, you wont get the satisfaction in any explanation by FIFA. The answer will be very diplomatic and some of you will be probably more angry after that. It is the way they run things. We know, we have been burned or robbed, call it what you will, and FIFA never gaved us the proper answer. And the apology wont do either..So better to let it go, and hope for the best in last game. I would really prefer talking here about the game, chances, maybe some fouls too, but not about something that was made by a dumb ref which led that 50 or 60 pages of this forum are all about him.

To end this kind of stupidity at world cup, FIFA should have made some sort of qualifing matches for refs..Im sure they follow all refs around the world, but if the ref, lets say from Africa isnt good enough, then sadly Africa wont have its ref represented in the WC.

12. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even though we are in Africa, PLEASE STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!

13. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Seeing as this thread has devolved solely into a discussion of a refereeing decision I think it's time to close it. Should you wish to continue to discuss this aspect please feel free to do so on the WC Refereeing Forum