Match 22 - Slovenia vs USA - 18th June - PbP and Post Match Discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by Prawn Sandwich, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The Baseball Commission said they would not overturn the Umpire's call...even though he admitted he was wrong...how's that for "injustice" and "evil". I'm guessing basefall fans will and Armando Galarrago will just have to move on and get over it....
    http://open.salon.com/blog/rarobertsjr/2010/06/03/the_perfect_game_ruined

So before you say things like, "Well, I don't know how things are in YOUR country, but in MY country..." take a closer look at what is going on with Americas favorite pastime...

2. cinnaminson

cinnaminson New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Philadelphia

baseball is not the #1 sport anymore. it hasn't been since about 1970. its american football by far, both nfl and college. and anyway, that was one club game out of a 162 game season, not a world cup final match. there is no comparison.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I never it said it was the #1 sport, I said it was American's Favorite Pastime...which is Baseball's catch phrase. And it was a response to these quotes:
    And by the way...pitching a Perfect Game...IS A BIG DEAL!!!!

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't disagree with any of that....just the whole, "Americans don't put up with that crap because we don't believe in injustice, maybe your county does but, oh no, not the US of A."

Jesus, I didn't Glen Beck posted on Bigsoccer. :rolleyes:

5. WorldCupRene

WorldCupRene New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    If that is the only thing they see in it, then I say good riddance and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

There are some of us that see this more as a work of art... it is not beautiful because it is crafted to perfection, but due to the pleasantness it brings. I don't care if Maradona did the infamous "Hand of God", or if Shumacher sent Battiston to the hospital, or if Argentina forced its way into a final in their local World Cup... it is the goal where Maradona dribbled his way past half the English team, the banana shot from Nelinho in 78, the beautifully crafted soccer by Brazil in 82, watching Johan Cruyff in action... those are the things that make a World Cup worth while. It transcends being just a sporting event. If a bunch of Americans (and I'm not bunching all American soccer fans, mind you) don't see this and are unable to see past a couple of poor referee calls, then they truly don't get the essence of the game.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fact is that we wouldn't be talking about this call if the U.S. didn't play like DC United in the first half and put ourselves in a 2-0 hole. Fact is that the Germany call was certainly questionable, but hardly rises to the level of a "worst call" in the last few World Cups. not to mention that there was still time on the clock in both cases, (and in the the case of the Germany game, there had to be a winner so another goal would have been scored or PK's).

Did the calls suck? Yeah. But there's no guarantee that without them we beat Slovenia and make it to the semifinals in 2002.

Get over it, move on, and focus on Algeria. A number of people are saying that the Mail ref needs to take lessons form Jim Joyce. We the U.S. fans should take a lesson from Armando Galaragga. Mistakes happen, you can accept them and move on, or obsess over them.

7. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hate to be the one to break it to you, but the situation is completely different. This one play did not do anything but deny a statistical milestone. It had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Had this play knocked a team out of the World Series? Portions of games have been replayed here to make up for bad calls. And like I said, this will be something that a competition committee looks at and rules on. You can bet that it will be addressed.

As for the official, he immediately acknowledged his mistake, apologized to Galarraga, and appealed for the out to be overturned. Its what we expect, and the official delivered it. He earned respect because of it.

8. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If the essence of the game involves throwing 4 years down the toilet because of incompetent management, then you can bet that they wont "get it".

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, injustice is only "evil" if it happens at the "bigstage"??? :rolleyes:

Yes, of course, what was I thinking?? God bless the so righteous USA.

So, is that what it'll take to get everyone's crying to stop??? An apology from Malian referee Koman Coulibaly???

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you think we are? We are US fans. And we never forget! :D

11. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why on earth are you even so interested in this subject? You clearly do not have a grasp of the cultural impact of such a thing here, but you continually complain about it.

The fact of the matter is simple. Our sensibilities are offended harshly by such things. You complain about American complaints. Our complaints should reveal to you our standards.

12. cinnaminson

cinnaminson New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Philadelphia
    it is actually "national pastime" and that was last really accurate in probably 1952. baseball is popular mainly with older people.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So instead of answering you got defensive. Well, you dodged the question but let me help you understand: I am a naturalized American married to an American, I went to college here, have lived in FL, TX, CA, VA and correctly in NY...so I think I have a pretty good grasp of American culture.

My point: I just don't think crying about it is going to accomplish a damn thing, THAT is why I say - Move on!!!!

Thanks for the correction, but I still don't see where I said it's the 1# sport and you showing me where I did...

14. WorldCupRene

WorldCupRene New Member

Jul 10, 2006

I'm on the same boat as he is... Naturalized citizen as well. I do have a problem with all this whining, since I have no choice but to watch the news and matches on U.S.-based T.V., and at some point I would love for people to move on and focus on something else. Once again, we are letting one bad referee job hostage an event that involves more than the U.S.

15. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Coulibaly sucked. Badly. For both teams. As an American with an interest in Slovenia, I think a draw with a call blown by an incompetent ref helps the sport gather interest on a busy news day. I hope it helps both teams qualify. I'd respect Coulibaly more if he apologized. I don't care too much for baseball, but Joyce earned my respect for apologizing.

16. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Not to mention that many viewers around the world have acknowledged that it was the most entertaining match of the tournament to date.

17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POT meet KETTLE.

18. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any misconduct that occurs before the free kick is taken, negates the kick entirely, and the correct restart would be the same free kick over again. So that can't have been the foul he was calling.

19. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if I'm not mistaken, it's still the only match where both teams have scored at least 2 goals.

20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    OOooohhh, so Clever...:rolleyes:

But the "move on" wasn't about the moving on from this discussion, after all, this is a forum isn't ? ...we are here to discuss shit.

The point was, "Look ahead to the next match instead and stop the "woe was me" attitude."

21. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    The best part is people saying "This shit happens get over it and beat Algeria.", no this shit shouldn't happen in the biggest sporting event in the World. If the NFL can get their shit straight what's so hard for FIFA? Not to mention they still have given ******** all for an explination cause they now that dumb bitch ********ed up.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You are giving FIFA way to much credit...they are probably one of the most backward organizations out there. I don't believe they do it on purpose, but they are just so good to shoot themselves in their own foot because they have no idea what they are doing.

I am pretty sure the NFL is a much, much tighter organization that FIFA is.

They did give an explanation, weather it is believable or not it doesn't matter. If the ref believed what he saw at the time he blew the whistle, that is all that matters...and even if he was mistaken - the call stands.

The last thing FIFA would want to do is start a precedent for something they could not handle anyway...ask Ireland's soccer team.

23. urko

urko New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    who said anything about judging ppl? stop complaining so much.. listen to the video that i posted here..maybe u will understand then....

How can you compare NFL to FIFA?? NFL is national and FIFA is international..
    You could try to compare UEFA and NFL, but not FIFA.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    UEFA is also international. You can compare USSF and NFL.

25. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    I can compare them because they're both professional organizations. It's quite funny that the national one has their shit together far better than the international one.