Match 22 - ITA : IRL - CAKIR (TUR)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 17, 2012.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday, 18 June - Poznan - 2:45 EST
    Italy : Republic of Ireland
    Referee: Cüneyt CAKIR (TUR)
    Assistant Referee 1: Bahattin Duran (TUR)
    Assistant Referee 2: Tarik Ongun (TUR)
    Additional Assistant Referee 1: Hüseyin Göçek (TUR)
    Additional Assistant Referee 2: Bülent Yıldırım (TUR)
    Fourth Official: Viktor Shvetsov (UKR)
    Reserve Assistant Referee: Oleksandr Voytyuk (UKR)
    UEFA Delegate: Adonis Procopiou (CYP)
    UEFA Referee Observer: Jozef Marko (SVK)

This thread is for all pre-, play-by-play, and post-match discussion of the referee and other officials on the match. Only news and analysis or other facts/information related to the referees and the officiating should be posted here. This is not a team or rivalry thread and will be heavily moderated to ensure it remains that way. Please read the stickied thread at the top of this forum if you have further questions. Thank you.

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty shout for handling 30 minutes in. Would have been against the Irish and probably needed a red, too. Replays showed it hit the shoulder. By the letter of our instructions, there'd be some validity to the call... but I think common sense says you can't award a penalty for that. Too much doubt for a ball shot from that close. I like the no-call.

3. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay for the AAR.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AAR calls a goal. Gets it right on a bang-bang play. Don't think the AR could have had that given the distance and speed in which it left. Platini must be smiling.

5. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    That wasn't a foul...come on.

6. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    And it nearly flipped the group!

7. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    getting hairy

8. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Yeah this is gonna get tough for Cakir which is good.

9. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    JESUS Christ why can't these players stop acting like complete asses?!

10. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    even after the goal, he has the shirt pulled 10 in!

11. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Well got outa there alive.

12. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    I hope whoever ends up giving Balotelli his inevitable red doesn't do it from up close

13. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I liked how right after the goal he looked like he was gonna say something and his teammate grabbed him and covered his mouth...awesome.

14. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Since it was from a corner kick, the AR could have definitely seen that the ball went over the line. There was quite a good bit of grass showing between the ball and the back edge of the line. I don't think it was these situations that the AARs are for. It is more for the long shots where otherwise no-one is on the goal line.

PH

15. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Is there some way you know the AAR made this decision? Or is is somply that it makes sense that he would???

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could, yes. But maybe not. Great deal of distance and the post and player are in between him, plus an onrushing Italian. My only point was that an AAR, 25 yards closer, does give a higher degree of certainty. One of the reasons the AARs are there is because ARs have missed this very call before, even though it is possible to get.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who else would? It's the reason he's there. Can't imagine a scenario where the AR says it's over but the AAR says no! So to answer your question... It's the only logical possibility to me.

18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005

I don't disagree that the AAR is nearer and provides a decision that can be sold more easily, but I still think the AR can and should be able to make this call. The post is always there, and often a player also, but the ball is beyond both.
    The distance to the corner flag is about 34 yards, not all that "great"

I don't recall any big matches where this call, with the AR already on the goal line as from a corner, has been missed. All of the other major controversial incidents have been with the AR way up the touchline and impossible to get to the goal line with the ball. Examples are WC 1966 (England W,Germany Final) possible false positive, WC 1986 (Spain-Brazil) probable true negative, and of course England Germany WC2010 definite false negative. The latter case was probably the trigger for the AARs in UEFA competitions.

PH

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't really disagree with you, PH. Only one small point: the AARs were used in the Europa League in the 09-10 season. So they did predate WC10. They then got added to the UCL in 10-11.

20. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Remember that with the new AAR position that he is actually blocking the ARs view of the goal line, so this was surely called by the AAR.

As for the AAR, wasn't it the Henry hand ball incident that got them put in? The England no-goal in the WC just made sure the experiment continued. And I'm still not impressed by the AAR's, who seem very hesitant to make any decisions.

21. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is unclear is what decisions they are making or not making. I am not sure how you can say they seem hesitant when we don't know what they are or are not communicating to the Center. With A/Rs, we have a set of signals and behaviors we are accustomed to seeing that help us interpret calls - with AARs, we don't have that.

22. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    YES. :p

If the AAR called the goal, why didn't he DO something, dammit!
    And, just to be contrary, what if the headsets failed? Is he supposed to run over and grab the AR's flag?

23. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Really? Honestly, I would like to hear more if someone has info.
    (and, iirc, wouldn't they be on the wrong side of the goal now to witness Mr. Henry's close control? :ROFLMAO:)

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AARs were already in use in Europa League when Henry's handball occurred (Henry handball is Nov 09... AARs started Aug or Sep 09). They were on the referee's diagonal for that season and for the 10-11 UCL season. They switched sides in August of 2011.

People speculated that the AARs would have caught Henry's handball. And it probably helped expand/justify their use. But they already existed. And, yes, the irony is that, in their current position they would have missed the Henry handling.