Match 21: DEN : AUS - MATEU LAHOZ (ESP)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 20, 2018.

1. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    That's a ridiculous extension of what-if reality, which demonstrates to me that you have no meaningful response.

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I will say of all the PKs called via VAR this World Cup, there probably only have been two that really NEEDED to be called where it would be outright scandalous if they weren't called.

The Peru vs. Denmark one and the Korea vs. Sweden one. The others would fall more into the lines of "seen them given."

You can maybe make a case for the Harry Kane takedown to also fall into lines of it has to be called.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about? He asked if the Australian arm in the air would constitute deliberate handling. I answered the question. I directly responded to the question and then asked what he would do if the ball hit the outstretched hand.

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those that missed the first half, this was the replay given to Lahoz. He looked at it once and spent about five seconds in the RRA.

[​IMG]

GreatGonzo repped this.
  5. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Which is exactly what most defenders do. You see then put their hands behind their back when defending one on one in the box, or keeping their hands on their sides when jumping, because they know that if a ball hits your hand when your arm is over your head or far away from your body it’s going to be a penalty.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to use your arms for leverage--I get that. You don't have to have your hand up even with your face or above your head. It's pretty simple.

As there are other things happening in this game, it's worth noting that Mateu Lahoz's unique management style seems to be working quite well this match. While we argue about a penalty that I don't think FIFA will blink twice about, he's putting on a very solid performance overall.

Geko, footyref1 and akindc repped this.
  7. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    I was just about to ask if anything else meaningful happened since there isn’t any other discussion about it.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might have missed a foul in favor of Australia at 90'.

9. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Lahoz is the best. I've never seen a referee able to manage so many fouls in a game. Let's face it, he chooses to ignore a lot of clear fouls in midfield, but the players accept it and move on.

It's really unique.

10. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    In order to bolster your opinion about what really happened, you bring up a fantasy about what might happen.

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny that when Cuhna was being really animated yesterday that Fox praised it as "strong management" but when Lahoz does it he's "eccentric". It's almost like Warren Barton has negative views of him from their Champions League coverage.

12. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    But those are not opposing decisions. If the ref feels they should use the LOTG to minimize pachinko goals and maximize "skill" (keeping in mind that a lot of goals bounce around a lot without handling) then the two decisions are consistent. Pings off an attacker's arm - call it handing and avoid the goal. Pings off a defenders arm don't call it and avoid the PK goal.
    This play is a situation that has always been on the bleeding edge of soccer officiatiing and highlights the crudeness of available remediation - give .3/4 of a goal or don't. VAR doesn't change that, but as you say keeps one from ignoring it.
    That said, he did have his arm up pretty high

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    These are the types of plays that clearly demonstrate that "deliberate" is a term of art, and that the dictionary is of little help. (Indeed,I don't even think the bullets in the LOTG really help that much--taken by themselves they would seem to suggest this play should not have been considered deliberate.) But I agree that this play is an expected handling call under current expectations--especially at the professional level. The defender (offender ;)) is aggressively challenging the attacker on the play. On these plays, we hold players accountable for where they choose to put their arms--and we hold the pros more accountable than low skilled players. (I would likely not call this in a 12U game where there is far less arm control; I hope I would in 19U game.)

14. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Well, in the 74th minute, Nabbout got hurt and stepped off the field of play, and then it looks like the Australian bench had him return to the field to be attended to there.

15. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

This probably isn't the best place to discuss it, but since it's been brought up... I think PKs will inevitably have to be tied more to goal scoring chances than random direct free kick fouls in a certain location on the field. There is a certain unfairness in my mind with the penalty kick and it makes refereeing a lot more difficult in trying to balance what is deserving of a PK by the spirit vs the letter of the law. An alternative to the PK should be created and a PK reserved for DOGSO offenses.

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That would result in more physical play in the PA. PK is intended as a deterrent.

17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems to fit pretty squarely into an expected penalty and the “taking a risk” concept we’ve been instructed to follow.

An argument against this PK is a philosophical one. Under all the instruction recently and enough of the prior language as well (bigger, unnatural etc). This is a PK.

If you think we should dial back how it is being taught that is one thing. But to argue this isn’t handling under the current instruction is wrong.

rh89, Bradley Smith, akindc and 2 others repped this.
  18. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

I am just saying that in some cases PKs are too extreme for the offense. They're appropriate in other cases. It's not an easy answer, but VAR is going to force the issue. Either players adjust or the game is less enjoyable.

I am also not saying that whatever punishment is created to deal with the types of fouls I am describing can't be more than just a Dfk. I have ideas, but the best thing would be that players adjust. Of course that does nothing for the game at the lower levels and the disparity between the top and middle levels of soccer will become even more disparate than they already are.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably a case where hearing the referee audio would make it clearer. I'm guessing Lahoz probably communicated that he thought the hand was in a natural position. Geiger is able to see that the contact is against an extended out hand that is above shoulder height which makes it very easy to justify as a clear and obvious error.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Mateu Lahoz didn't see the hand-ball contact at all.

refinDC repped this.
  21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps but his body language suggests to me that he did.

22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Still not convinced this is deliberate. When the arm starts up, the ball is traveling parallel to the arm. The two are not in the same plane. They are not going to make contact. There is no deliberate attempt to make himself bigger. It is a natural motion from the way his body is moving.

When the ball changes direction and becomes on the same plane as the ball, there simply isn’t time to react and pull away the hand.

This was not deliberate handling. He was trying to head the ball himself.

Tigerpunk and espola repped this.
  23. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Yes, with his raised right hand he indicated “no” to the protesting Australian players.

Editing to add video. Australian corner starts at 0:49.

24. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    We can debate what deliberate is until we're blue in the face, but at some point you have to accept that when two highly rated FIFA refs have absolutely no doubt that this should be considered deliberate, then we should as well.

Again, as others have pointed out...what's deliberate at a WC level might not be deliberate at the games we ref.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point. But don't put it past Mateu Lahoz to have a regular mechanic like that which is "no way, not calling it" regardless of whether he saw hand-ball contact or not when an appeal from the attack occurs. It makes a little less sense in the VAR era, but habits die hard.

To me, the raised mechanic is an acknowledgement of the appeals and not necessarily an acknowledgement that he saw something.