Match 20 - DEN : GER - VELASCO CARBALLO (ESP)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 15, 2012.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday, 17 June - Lviv - 2:45 EST
    Denmark : Germany
    Referee: Carlos VELASCO CARBALLO (ESP)
    Assistant Referee 1: Roberto Alonso Fernández (ESP)
    Assistant Referee 2: Juan Carlos Yuste Jiménez (ESP)
    Additional Assistant Referee 1: David Fernández Borbalán (ESP)
    Additional Assistant Referee 2: Carlos Clos Gómez (ESP)
    Fourth Official: Mark Clattenburg (ENG)
    Reserve Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup (ENG)
    UEFA Delegate: Jozef Kliment (SVK)
    UEFA Referee Observer: Bo Karlsson (SWE)

This thread is for all pre-, play-by-play, and post-match discussion of the referee and other officials on the match. Only news and analysis or other facts/information related to the referees and the officiating should be posted here. This is not a team or rivalry thread and will be heavily moderated to ensure it remains that way. Please read the stickied thread at the top of this forum if you have further questions. Thank you.

2. Moonwalk

Moonwalk New Member

Jun 17, 2012
    can anyone tell me why this guy i allowed to get a second game after he failed that much in the first game? I can see many cards incoming...

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24 games, 12 refs = 2 games per ref.

Short of a complete disaster, like pulling a Graham Poll, everyone was going to get a 2nd game. He harshly sent a player off on a team that still ended up drawing and advancing. It wasn't exactly the most controversial reffing decision in history.

4. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    There is absolute nothing going on in this game. Carbello's yellow card must be burning a hole in his pocket by now.

5. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He heard you....so he's giving one....

Scrabbleship repped this.
  6. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Well if Spain's progress and the poor performance in the opener weren't sending him home, his AAR is after not having the bottle to give a penalty against Germany for dragging at Bendtner's shirt. Carballo couldn't see it and needed help from the guy looking right at it. More evidence, if needed, of the pointlessness of having another human being to make human mistakes.

7. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    This is true but I don't understand why it has to be. Get some AARs with some balls or something...make it more of a black and white thing like an AR "He grabbed his shirt referee and prevented him from getting to the ball" then it's a penalty.

8. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More fodder...

9. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    1) I'm not convinced that this shirt tug rises to the level of a non-trifling foul in this tournament. I could understand it either way, actually.
    2) I really wish we had some more transparency on the AARs responsibilities, especially outfield.

Presumably, they are #1 in the decision-making hierarchy when it comes to ball-over-the-endline-between-the-pipes decisions. Just from the whole history of how they got there, it's hard for me to imagine a CR (or AR?) not taking their opinion on one of those decisions. But even there, we don't know what magic signal they would give to communicate their decision. It's as if the guys who designed this system didn't really want anyone without ref talk to know what these guys are seeing. (What happens if AAR is screened and CR has the best view???)

When it comes to outfield decisions, it's even worse. We talk about how the AAR should "see this" or "help with that." But, has anyone EVER seen an AAR call a foul? How do you even know? And, if they can call fouls, then why can't they signal it? Why the mystery?

As for this decision, if you were AAR, are you convinced that this is a stone cold decision YOU have to make? In other words, if you were AR, would you flag this? idk

I guess I'm still not sold. Hopefully, it's just my ignorance, and I'll be a convert soon. :geek:

10. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what it means that said shirt tugging incident was not even shown/discussed (I'm told) on GER TV during post-match analysis ??
    To me that's a bit disappointing.