Match 20 Argentina vs. Korea Republic Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I hope we were taking notes of the Spain Swi match.

2. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maradona looks like an idiot right now, he says he wants a flatback 4 of all CBs which he uses to justify excluding Zanetti... Then he goes and picks a right winger who has never played in the defence as his starting right back, I suppose we will see Di Maria leftback next game and Messi Defensive Midfielder.:rolleyes:

He should just be man enough to say he dislikes Zanetti and the leadership he brings (Deigo prefers his "yes" men, who listen only to him).

3. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Umm does not ANY coach in the world want his players to listen to him and not let their egos get in the way???

4. mike5th

mike5th Member

Mar 21, 2004
    My prediction,

If Korea doesn't win, Argentina will win. If neither team win, then it will be a draw.

You can take that to the bank!!!!!!

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh wow, really? You sir must be related to Alexi Lalas :D(May not get this if you are not in the US).

6. mike5th

mike5th Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I do live in US, and I find him annoying.:eek:

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am going going to slightly off topic, but after the Spain game. He was talking about how the Swiss were like a blind squirrel and just found a big nut. I am sitting back and saying, what is this guy talking about??

But anyways hope our match is a good one, I feel like its going to be today because I do not plan on sleeping just taking a couple siesta's.

8. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Which strategy to play is up to him, he doesn't have to play this 3-4-3. He wants to, and Zanetti would still be playing out of position, just like ClementeRod, they are fullbacks, not defensive wingers.
    If we really have to pick the most suited player for that spot, it would probably be Pablo Zabaleta.

9. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    LOL. The guys in the booth are probably thinking WTF?

10. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zanetti and out of position don't belong in the same sentence, he can play anywhere, both sides of the park as a winger of fullback or centrally. Seriously he plays every position but forward... Funny you mention Zabaleta since he is often called the new Zanetti.:cool:

Anyway obviously my opinion is biased based on who I support, but I still think Maradona has put his foot in his mouth with the "flat back 4" thing he has pulled the last couple of months then all of a sudden he does this...

11. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As you struggle with your confusion Argentina will pass right by you. While all the "great DT's" are wondering why Zanetti and Cambiasso werent included Diego has been training this team to win by all costs, setting up set pieces and executing them with precision. But yet Diego is the idiot? hahahahhahahahahha

VAMOS DIEGO PAPA!!!!

DE LA MANO DE MARADONA!!!!
    TODOS LA VUELTA VAMOS A DAR!!!!!

12. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But that's the genius that you just dont see, because you are stuck on words and can't see the actions. He has you wondering about the flat back 4 and how that system is going to work but then he pulls our a 3-4-3 and plays a chess match with Lagerback and WINS.

DIEGO HASTA LA MUERTE!!!!!!!!!

VAMOS ARGENTINA!!!!

13. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You sure he wasnt talking about the USA? I mean cmon now...US NATS have a serious horseshoe stuck up their asses. Never fails...in some form or another they always seem to get a lucky break in the WC.

14. Geoff442

Geoff442 New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Essentially, Maradona has stuck with a fairly rigid 4-4-2 system throughout qualifying. This hasn't changed. He's made it very very clear that he likes to have fullbacks that don't attack and don't venture past the halfway line. He has steadfastly refused to play 3 or more up front despite the wealth of talent he has at his disposal.

The choices he's made with players and formations have left a lot of people asking a lot of questions about him. The obvious omission of Zanetti and Cambiasso has rasied even more questions.

The problem was, just when Maradona finally looked predictable and had started to play a fixed system in the 4-4-2. He played it in the friendlies as well, no experimenting at all. Just a solid system, almost as if he was perfecting it.

Then randomly out of nowhere he changed everything. Training became all about the 4-3-3 to accomodate Tevez, the fullback situation went out the window and the whole formation became more flexible. But in all the time he was manager he had never really done this. It was the best decision, but it made no sense because of it's timing.

Essentially it left most people shrugging their shoulders and wondering what on earth is going on. As just when you think he's an idiot, he does something brilliant and when it appears he has a steadfast plan... he erm... changes it.

Oh and I don't get him! He makes less sense to me the more I think I understand him. But thanks anyway!

15. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    You're putting words in my mouth, I never said he 'knows nothing about football' .. rather that "tactical astuteness isn't something I'd attribute to him".

Simply put as a coach his style seems more of a keegan than a mourinho, ie. his strength is more on the motivational side of the game (that's obvious merely from observing his passion during matches).

You're overreacting buddy, I never claimed that he was stupid only that he doesn't strike me as a tactical coach, none of the above have anything to do with tactics ..

Considering hypothetical scenarios it'd one of the considerations.

16. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    After writing all that, you should understand very clearly. If you are confused by this, there it is.

17. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Which break, the phantom penalty called on us in the last WC or the non-call German handball on the line that literally prevented a tying goal in 2002?

18. corporatesam

corporatesam New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Korea 1
    Argentina 0

19. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mod Note:

It's time to start getting this thread permanently back on topic. Pupi and Cambiasso aren't here and talk of them has zero bearing on this match so please do not bring them up anymore. Also talk of other matches have no place in this thread if you must discuss it please find the appropriate thread in the appropriate forum.

20. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    this make sense. u got messi, he can make score chance w/o FBs, so why not keep them back stop brakeout. and honestly, ur frontline isn't air threat so FB crosses dont mean much.

i think every great athletes smart as hell, stupid guys cant play like Mardona did.

but it sound like he's tactic smart and strategic not that great. i think its good idea built roster with broad skillsets so u can change ur strategy insted of same thing all the time. it sound like maradona started realize this, change his mind but it's to late.

21. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

22. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    So back on topic.

Is Jonas going to play at RB or is he moving up to MF with Burdisso at RB? Jonas in the MF seems to make sense as I think he'd be the mock Dani Alves.

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    must spread rep before etc etc etc!!!!!!:D

Can someone please rep this gentleman for me, and several times as well!!!

24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was:)