Match 20 Argentina vs. Korea Republic Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The logic is that Maradona is more comfortable with Jonas and he's the one who makes the decisions.

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I do not get how people are still throwing around Zanetti and Cambiasso's name around. Still can not get over it?

3. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    @ SupaMario: agree, with you on this one. no need to go there.

[Edit: you edited your post - but i'm agreeing with your comment about not needing to get into debate about ref calls]

by the same token, Messi might have potted a hat trick without what has undoubtedly been the best individual performance of the tournament so far by Enyeama. everyone would be lauding Argentina and saying it was only a matter of time before Messi had a stellar performance for his national team. and the bandwagoners, would be touting Argentina's steamrolling of Group B.

but we all know, that's hindsight and regardless of what is on paper, the match MUST be played.

likewise, for the Korea match, any Argentinian fans expecting a cakewalk would be speaking blindly. they would most likely be talking from an ill informed pre-conceived notion of Korea and Korean football.

4. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Thats exactly what we're saying. What so hard about it? Argentina should win on paper, but their results are actually quite crappy (for the amount of talent in the team), and dont be shocked if korea wins.

Do you expect world football fans to simply say since messi cost 100 million euros so koreans dont stand a chance?

5. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    That's not logic....that's circular reasoning, he picked Jonas because he makes the decisions. nycosmos was saying that he completely understands Maradona unlike me. "He is more comfortable with Jonas" isn't a reason, it's the result of something, so what's the reason why he's "more comfortable with Jonas"?

6. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I'm only bringing them up because NYC says he completely understands Maradona. Hence an explanation of his logical thought process would be in order.

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I took it out because it is a touchy subject for most and would rather not stir the pot.

Nothing is a cakewalk anymore, teams just shut down. There is a difference from arrogance and belief, maybe some of our fans have a mix of both or one or the other. I for one believe we will win this game by a 2 goal margin. Messi is knocking on the door and is waiting to explode, not just him the team. I do not want a 5-0 or a 6-0 game that we did vs Jamaica and S&M in past WC's, then it somewhat goes to their heads. But I believe Diego is keeping the guys grounded and not letting them get ahead of themselves but when they do good he will let them know and tell them to continue their progress. Yes a game must be played and it is the only way we will see some answers.

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What about our past coaches that had left behind the likes of Redondo,Riquelme,Saviola,Pupi,Samuel in previous World Cup's. It is not something that is new. Diego is not a dumb man, lets be serious here.

9. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    why the confusion? what angles?

from my perspective:

on paper Argentina should win - no doubt. there's no angle to this, this is literal. Argentina are the superior team. period.

won't be a massacre & Don't be shocked if Korea wins - lot of Argentinian fans had expected this to be a cakewalk. what's wrong with Korean fans thinking their team has a fair chance? everyone has a right to have confidence in their team no? regardless of how terrible the Greeks were, Korean fans liked what we saw from our team and from many of our friendlies.

to be fair, i think any sane Korean fan, would be thrilled with a tie. as things stand, i think it's ludicrous for fans supporting either nation to underestimate the other side.

10. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yes, i hear you.

about Diego, i can't believe he had the sense to delegate and hand off the reigns to certain personnel. has he swayed much of the Argentinian press in his favour? or would they just as easily turn on him if the team did not get a good result on THUR?

with all the uncertainty and potential for Diego bashing back home (in Argentina) it really is fascinating to see his storyline unfold in South Africa.

11. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I'm not saying he's dumb, he definitely has a reason, Pekerman left off Zanetti just as well. But I don't claim to understand him. I was mainly responding to NYC's comment that he understands the man since the beginning. Hence the question of why?

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, let me put it this way. I'm a big fan of Zanetti and I would have picked Zanetti over Jonas, but I presume that Maradona knows both players better than I do and that he knows futbol better than I do, so while I can state that I don't agree with his decision, I'm not going to assert that it's illogical. And especially when we consider that Pekerman arrived at the exact same decision at the last World Cup, -not with Jonas but with players like Cufre and Scaloni- back when Zanetti was four years younger and in his prime.

I don't think Diego would argue that Jonas is a better player than Zanetti. My guess is that it probably has to do with chemistry within the team, and with leadership issues. Sometimes players who assert leadership cannot co-exist with each other and tough choices have to be made, and maybe that is a logical explanation to this riddle.

13. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I appreciate your positiveness but what on earth is making you believe in Diego all of a sudden? His dog doesnt even like him. :D

No seriously...he isnt out of the woods yet. He hasnt proven that he's any better than he was about 6 months ago when the shit was really hitting the fan. That Nigeria victory was less than convincing. I think youre fully beatable. Maybe not by us but I doubt you make it into the final 8.

14. Geoff442

Geoff442 New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Unfortunately the reason Zanetti and Cambiasso are brought up so much is because much of Europe saw how good they were and have no idea about how Maradona plays his system. Neither one of the players as astoundingly good as they are fit into the system he likes to play. He plays rigid systems and this is a shame. But let's move on... we are at the World Cup now.

The most shocking thing for me was that he didn't play his 4-4-2 system and just jumped to the system he should have been playing for all this time, the 4-3-3. Unpredictable he is and that is his strength...

A backs to the wall, seige mentality. That is the real strength of this Argentina side. Moving the pressure away from his players to himself. (I'd suggest that Domenech has done the same, but that man is actually just an idiot, at least Maradona has some idea of his ideas)

15. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ok i gota hear this

how can he be "rigid system" and than change it? i just dont got what Mardona is doing, u sound like u get him, plz explane it beter thanx

16. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Sorry, I wasn't really questioning the exclusion of Zanetti, I was really more responding to NYC's claim about "understanding" Diego.

But what you said about Zanetti does makes sense.

17. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem lies in that you want a logical explanation. You want your answer to come in a nice package and wrapped with a bow. Unfortunately, for those that don't understand Diego, Jonas' inclusion and to a certain extent Garce, are all based on intangibles. And those intangibles are all the realm of the DT.

18. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes it's time to stop with the nonsense about Diego being stupid.

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    People all need to fit into roles when you are making a team. You need a on the field leader, the mental leader, the motivator, the guy who sacrificies it all, the workhorse and of course soldiers.

Diego was looking to build just that an army of players that are willing to do anything to get this CUP.

20. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF

Ok thanks for clarifying, that is what I wanted to know. Btw what does Garce add?

21. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Must be because Argentina won lots of trophies with those 2.

22. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Kudos.

23. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    so from all of argentinas vast deep talant pool he found 4CBs that fit his rolls and 0 fullback thats gonna do anything for the cup?

i'm sorry, i get theirs a method of his madniss but i still dont get it

24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Because this team is finally getting it. Wins in Uruguay,Germany has made the team have a belief system. The style we been playing is similar to what Bilardo had put down, just win at any cost method. And Bilardo just might the man behind this and Diego is the voice and face that is pushing the team.

You do not believe the Nigeria game was convincing, and under what analysis is this by? The scoreline? I believe we had 4-5 golden chances but Nigeria's GK had drank some of that Buffon juice from 2006. But fine, you do not believe we make it in the QF and that is your opinion.

25. olimpialv

olimpialv Member

Jun 13, 2010
    las vegas, nv
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I enjoyed watching swiss defensive so strong. Except Senderos theyt were great. Didn't even pressed much. DT Huh's thinking to replace Cha with other player who can stop Messi better. I like Cha, he is a full time robot in defense and also move forward constantly. The big day is tomorrow