Match 20 Argentina vs. Korea Republic Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina vs. Korea Republic

June 17th 6:30am
    Venue: Soccer City (Johannesburg)

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. We will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Match 20 Argentina vs. Korea Republic

i'll be at this match live - if argentina doesn't get their act together - i can see south korea pulling a surprise victory here.

i can see argentina with this lineup:
    romero
    zanetti-dimichelis-heinze-insua
    maxi-mascherano-bolatti-di maria
    messi-higuain

there are still so many players up in the air for who maradona can call up - i guess it depends who is on his good side by the time final teams are decided. i have a bad feeling some good players will be left off the squad...

3. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

anyone here going to this game or planning to go? i plan on going with a few friends - our final head count is still undetermined. i believe the hotel where i am staying is arranging transport to / from the stadium.

PM me if you are going to the game or trying to go....

4. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

Not going but whatever you do have a safe trip. How many matches do you have tickets for?

5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

going to 5 games, but i have tickets for 7. when i signed up for the first lottery i signed up for 7 games thinking i would get 2 games at the most - i got 5...

my friend signed up for 7 games and got tickers for 4 games, so together we have tickets for 7 different games.

all group stage games...should be a blast. i hope maradona puts out the right team, to make my vacation go smoother and less stressfull =)

6. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

I hope he doesn't w/ Korea :D
    Have fun anyway with Nigeria & Greece.

7. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

After watching our mediocre performance on defense in last few friendlies, I think we should go 9-0-1 to get a point. Argentina has so much luxury on their offense.

8. GolDeLetra

GolDeLetra New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador

I will be going to this game, even though I am not a fan of these teams. It will be exciting to watch Messi playing live.

9. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA

Don't know what to make of this match, Korea Rep. are a potential giant killer(Cote D'Ivoire friendly) while Argentina are a team that is not as good as they are on paper, I'd say if they were, i would'nt give Korea a chance(unless the stadium is full of screaming fangirls). But reality is that Argentina is vulnerable and the teams in their group are very confident in taking them on. Tevez, Higuain , Messi have been picking up their form at the same time and their needs to be a system in which each of these players can have an effect on the game. Crossing my fingers for the return of
    [​IMG]
    (of course, he wouldn't be wearing number 10 this summer)

10. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I wouldn't entirely disagree with you but with reference to the defense, just by virtue of the addition of Samuel we got more secure in the back. He couldn't get a recall to save his life then we qualify and he's back. Also Gaby Milito has been playing pretty well so he could possibly add depth. Where we struggle is in the midfield and there is where we are most vulnerable at the moment. I don't see Roman coming back but if he continues to play like he did this past match then he'll be hard to ignore. He's played well but as a whole Boca has been bad this semester. We could lose this match but I feel more confident now than a few months back.

11. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul

Well majority of people are going to think Argentina will walk all over Korea
    and many Korean fans do admit Argentina is the better team and most likely walk away with a win.

Looking at Korea's past WC performances against top teams have actually been pretty good

94: tied Spain 2-2, Lost to Germany 3-2
    98: 5-0 loss to Holland, yes this was bad
    02: 1-0 win over Portugal
    06: 1-1 tie against France

I will be more than happy with a draw. But if Korea does somehow manage to get a goal early, it can get our young players fired up to play some good defense.

12. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

That Germany game was one of the best games ever in the history of the World Cup. Shame you lost. Didn't deserve to though.

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I agree with this. Diego has essentially made Argentina a counter attacking side which puts a ton of pressure on a defense that while on paper is solid but in reality they haven't shown enough cohesion. Granted most of our qualifiers didn't involve Walter Samuel he's still capable of the brain fart. If we have to play from behind and push the attack then I worry because we have nobody to coordinate and distribute. I feel better about Argentina today than I did four months ago but that doesn't really say much.

14. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

You mean you have a World Class one, but he gets snubbed :cool:

What about Lucho though? How often has he been used during the cycle? He would do well if he was given the role of connecting Argentina's midfield and forwards. Or are Lucho and Mascherano starting too River Plate for Maradona's liking?

15. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

I thought that was Veron's job in lieu of Riquelme.

16. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

Other results that weren't too bad. Not sure if the match was really as close as the final score indicates though. I know vs. Germany in '02, Korea was pretty spent and Germany didn't score until around the 75' mark.

• Italy 3-2 Korea 1986
    • Uruguay 1-0 Korea 1990
    • Germany 1-0 Korea 2002

17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm not going to touch the Riquelme/Diego thing as it's killed some respect I had for Maradona. Lucho at one point showed great promise with the NT but each appearance seemed to see him not contribute more and more. He's always been a very good player at the club level but international form just never got better.

As far as the Lucho/Mascherano riber comment, I don't really think that has anything to do with it. River hasn't done a very good job of producing players to be honest. Aimar, Saviola, D'allesandro are good players but for some reason won't get a look. After those guys it's slim pickings.

First of all I'm not a Veron fan nor have I ever been. I was actually pissed when we brought in to La Boca. He and Riquelme are vastly different midfielders with different skill sets. I've never considered Veron much of a distributor at all and what he does bring just isn't close to what you give up with Riquelme. Riquelme also reads and dictates a game in a manner that Veron can't comprehend. I don't even consider Veron one of our five to seven best midfield options. All the credit in the world for what he did with Estudiantes but at this point he can't provide anything to the national team.

18. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul

Well i wanted to only put the games in group stages so didn't include Germany
    but you are right

Even in friendlies we have played quite well against top teams.
    Last time we played Argentina was in Korea and we lost 1-0

19. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul

This is the game, I am scared to watch but at the same time got my fingers crossed for good result.

One of those games :D

This being a second game for both teams, the results from it would really change around possible game plans

20. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Just like '06 France game? ;)

21. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Forgive my ignorance but where do Argentina and Cambiasso stand at this point in time?

22. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Diego doesn't like his playing style which he's stated so they might as well be on other ends of the world.

23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Right. Thanks for the clarification Moishe.

Without stating the obvious, and baring in mind I'm not fully aware of all of Argentina's available players for the World Cup, isn't that attitude more than a little short sighted on Diego's part...?

24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Very short sighted on Diego's part. Cambiasso of all our available box to box midfielders is in no doubt the best form of the group. The next best option is Ever Banega who also is on the outside looking in. I like Mascherano but he's too one dimensional in my book and with Veron as his cohort things don't excite me. I've never liked Veron to begin with and upon his return to Estudiantes he played massively but over the past couple of months his form and more importantly his fitness has gone to crap. Diego see's Veron as his enganche and anchor.

25. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Thanks again for the insight. No offense, but for me, this makes Argentina one of the most interesting teams to look at in the build up to the tournament. Most of the other 'fancied' teams have a settled look to them. As do Argentina, to a certain extent.

But there are still so many talented players on the outside looking in, and as their stars shine ever more brightly on the climax to the season in Europe I can't help but wonder how much, if any, their circumstances will change come the beginning of the greatest show on earth.

I look forward to it unfolding in the friendly matches in the build up to the finals.