Match #19: ESP : CHI - GEIGER (USA)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by Alberto, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Best performance of all refs so far (in my eyes). :thumbsup: Didn't know you got such quality referees in the MLS. ;)

swoot, IASocFan, jeffmefun and 1 other person repped this.
  2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got at least one. :)

MLS refs aren't as bad as the fans and media like to say but I suspect that is common all over

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Familiarity breeds contempt.

I've noticed that most USSF refs seem to have done well in their international assignments over the last decade. Certainly far better than they do, based on the noise, domestically.

MrPerfectNot and nsa repped this.
  4. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well done. Neither game looked too difficult, but I'm certain at least part of that was the crew.

If you have one game that looks easy at the World Cup, that's a fluke. Two or more games that look easy and the ref is just that good.

we discount that sometimes, but making that look easy is no mean task.

Watch old games by Avi Klein, or more recently, Collina. You never felt that anything was beyond them.

Not saying that Geiger is that good, but the great ones consistently make it look easy

mtn335, mudhen and nsa repped this.
  5. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
  6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Better than the rest but I still maintain the Alonso foul should have been a red.

7. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, should have written "...that good". I don't think he's on the level of Klein or Collina yet

mudhen repped this.
  8. LawFiveTarHeel

LawFiveTarHeel BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Somewhere in the past I came across something akin to the following. In a high-level match, nothing is higher than WC, the forwards will run 4 miles, the backs 5 miles, the mids 6, and the referee will run 7 miles. I know that FIFA keeps all of this information on the referees, and the players, and has stats upon stats, so surely somewhere there is either confirmation or refutation on this tribal knowledge. BTW - 11.5 km is just about 7 miles, so it is likely these numbers are not far off.

9. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those numbers come from a private company (sportvu) that is funded by the teams. I don't think every team uses them, but probably at least half of them do. On the games where they are working, they set up their own cameras in the stadium and computers track the players distance. They use wide lenses so the whole field is in view, and the software knows what player is what. They also can track player touches, give aways, the result of each touch, etc. I don't think they share that info with ESPN, and I'm not sure if ESPN pays them for the player distance info, but I do know that their numbers are VERY accurate. As far as I know they do not track the ref though.

10. mudhen

mudhen Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If for no other reason than plain ol' favoritism, I really hope the The Geiger led CREW gets at least one other chance to prove to the world that the U.S.A. CAN produce world class officials. Geiger (and his A.R.'S ) really exemplify the olde' fashioned, yet never out of style, concept of proactive commonsense refereeing. So much emphasis is placed on the "Law Book on Legs" concept that we sometimes forget that officiating is about managing people in order to achieve a safe, fair and fun spectacle for the players and fans. NOBODY outside of our little world really understands that some of our greatest pleasures as referees come from little things that they will NEVER know; i.e. An advantage played that results in a goal for the offended team. I LIVE for those moments. And so does Mark and the boys.

11. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    1. Is that our first FRD yellow?? I've seen all but four matches and I think yes.

2. Geiger called a phantom foul against Iniesta, is that a big deal in the post-match review?

3. I thought Alonso's challenge was red, but @ChelseaSounder is correct....it's yellow based on the treatment of similar fouls in other games. The players seemed to accept it so I guess that counts for something.

4. I thought there were 2-3 opportunities to give a yellow for simulation to Chileans in the 2nd half. I don't think we've seen a caution for simulation yet, do we think simulation (along with PI apparently) is something that the referees have been instructed to ignore?

5. Yeah Geiger is good but he's been refereeing out of his mind these past two games. He's hotter that the sun!

The Stever repped this.
  12. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    If he could only get hired by the Premier League, imagine how well he'd do with that necessary high-level experience. He's done well for never having seen a real football match ;)

swoot, Justin Z, footyref1 and 4 others repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I wanted to punch Steve MacManaman through my TV four years ago after he made some disparaging comments about Carlos Batres. It seemed the only thing Steve knew about Batres was that he was from Guatemala and obviously a referee from Guatemala? Come on.

Justin Z repped this.
  14. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #114 ChelseaSounder, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Wanted to show that the call here wasn't for failing to respect the required distance, but for actually kicking the ball prior to the restart. Discussion earlier seemed to indicate it was a distance issue. Maybe semantics, but a bit different. http://www.espnfc.com/video/latest-videos/600/video/1891799
    This is a first!

Justin Z and MrRC repped this.
  15. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Thanks for posting the video clip. That is definitely DR as he actually kicks the ball away after the opposing player places it on the ground with his hands. He did not block the kick as I had thought while watching it live because the free kick had yet to be taken.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Re distance covered (etc) FIFA has all of the relevant stats and tracking documents on their official website on each games page.

17. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I'd expect that the numbers ESPN used comes from the official FIFA stats. They are updated live on the match pages on the FIFA site and then added as PDFs when the game is finished, the sponsor is Castrol but it doesn't say who collects them and there doesn't seem to be any stats on referee movement.

btw there was no Chilean player running 11.5k in this game, was 2 on 11.2 and Diaz with 12.6 though (Silva of Spain did 11.6 too).

18. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    that is true even at lower levels. When doing games featuring clubs outside my general area I hear a lot of "best ref we've had all year" and less overall dissent. not so much when it's the same 5 or 6 clubs I see most weekends.

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    kicker gave him the best ref grade so far ( i think)
    Schiedsrichter:
    [​IMG]
    Mark Geiger (USA) Note 2,5
    hätte Pedro nach Foul an Jara verwarnen müssen, ansonsten ein sicherer Unparteiischer

should have given jara yellow after fouling pedro. otherwise a sure/quality ref.

IASocFan repped this.
  20. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Took me a bit to find this forum, but kudos to Geiger and crew and, by extension, to the US refs represented on this forum. Everything a US soccer representative does reflects on the entire community -- whether we like it or not. I watched the game and thought he did very well, especially interested in how his ignoring various Chilean players on the pitch was going to be received, but once they started to get up and get on with it and no one complained, was heartened by it. So glad to hear objective observers concurring that he did a good job. Again, hats off to his crew and by extension the US referee community.

footyref1 repped this.
  21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    This makes me think that the relatively poor refereeing in MLS is due to the league itself wanting refs to allow the "physical" "style" of play we frequently see.

22. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Objective observers? Where? ;)

IARef96 repped this.
  23. Conifeertje

Conifeertje Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Those ratings are in a descending order from 1(good) to 5(bad). Check Rizzoli in ESP - NED e.g. or Brych in URU - CRC. Personally thought Geiger deserved a 1,5 though.

24. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    He should be aware of encroaching by SA team. I thought Chile encroached a bit on the first FK and a lot (a full step) on the second FK close to their penalty area. I thought also there was some malice in two contacts (Spanish player, I think Alonso, and some time after a revenge foul in that player - but these did not scalate)

Solid game, didn't impact the result in any way

25. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    I'd forgotten it was Geiger in the middle, and shortly into the game, which I was watching with my brother, nephews and a co-worker, I asked, "Is that Mark Geiger?" One of 'em had a WC app open and confirmed it. It ws kinda funny, to be recognizing the ref like that. I happen to know quite a few of them, but none of these people knew that I was that much of a soccer geek. Last time I did that, with almost the same group, was the Nigeria friendly, where I asked, "Is that Mark Clattenberg?" I wonder if they think I'm wierdly into referees named Mark.

Anyway, it was a GREAT game for Geiger, and I hope to see him getting more.

IARef96 repped this.