Match 18: GER-POL - KUIPERS (NED)

Discussion in 'Euro 2016: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 16, 2016.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thursday June 16, 2016 - 15:00 (EDT) - Saint Denis
    Referee: Bjorn Kuipers

Assistant Referee 1: Sander Van Roekel
    Assistant Referee 2: Erwin E.J. Zeinstra
    Additional Assistant Referee 1: Pol Van Boekel
    Additional Assistant Referee 2: Richard Liesveld
    4th Official: Daniele Orsato (ITA)

This thread is for all pre-match, play-by-play and post-match discussion and analysis of the refereeing team. Per the forum guidelines (http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/welcome-forum-guidelines.2032253), this thread will be heavily moderated. For more general or partisan discussions of the match, please go to the general Group thread or the individual team forums.

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kuipers could have had a caution inside a minute for an elbow. I think if he saw it from the other angle (AR2's view) he probably would have. I wonder what AR2 had there.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Khedira, who committed the elbow, got his caution about 90 seconds later for a tactical foul (or PI--take your pick).

4. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We've seen quite a few elbows in this tournament, don't think any have been punished.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In UEFA, the pendulum certainly has seemed to have swung in the direction of "most elbows on aerial challenges are careless." I think that's a risky proposition.

Surprised Hummels didn't get booked right there in the 19'.

6. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Yellow on Ozil. Thought it was a bit soft, but you make contact on a player running like that, fair to call a tactical.

7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Good example of one of the world's top referees not being concerned about an early card. We hear too many times
    about "management" and trying to avoid early cards, which for me is a load of BS.
    Now it is up to the player(s) to behave, or be subbed out, because I am sure Kuipers will not be afraid to show a 2nd one, and the players and coaches know it.

PH

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed to an extent. Did you see the first elbow around 40 seconds in, though? You don't think he had (understandably, in my opinion) some concern about an early card that might dissuade him from cautioning there when he otherwise wouldn't? The actual caution he issued was on a foul where his hands were almost completely tied.

9. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    No I missed the first minute due to not getting inside in time!
    Not really. A referee of his stature doesn't worry about such things. It could be that he wasn't sure the first time, but when another opportunity came, he acted quickly. The player may have got the impression, based on not getting it for the elbow, that there would not be early cards, as many do (and are often right, unfortunately).

PH

10. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    It has nothing whatsoever to do with refereeing, but the aisles at Saint-Denis are the first ones I've ever seen that are designed rationally.

11. BigManIntheMiddle

Jan 10, 2013
    Inland Empire, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pleasantly surprised by the early card. Overall he seemed calm and relaxed through the portion of the game I saw (up to about the 67').

It's been interesting to contrast the facial expressions of teh COPA referees to the Euro referees. The Copa Refs seem very stern, almost angry, and the Euro refs have greater range of personality.

12. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Yea but I think the Euro players are a bit more rational and professional about things whereas I watch some of these central and South American teams where it's like an insane asylum out there and the refs are just along for the ride.

Pierre Head repped this.
  13. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Was thinking about this when it happened. On the one hand, yes, it clearly broke up a promising attack. But I still doubt it would have been given at the last world cup. I love that Collina isn't forcing them to referee with their hands tied like Busacca did.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  14. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Agreed 100%. Maybe (or definitely) Busacca had his hands tied by higher ups like Blatter, so that this will not be the case at future World Cups. Let's hope so. It was well known that Blatter, not unlike our MLS people a few years ago, did not like to see red cards, especially in the Final. He personally selected the referee for the 1994 final, Puhl of Hungary, based on his low card production in earlier games, after someone else was originally penciled in. (Although others point out that a powerful member of the FIFA referees' committee at the time was Palotai of Hungary.) Nevertheless, it is clear that the players and coaches soon wise up to this and play accordingly. One result of course was the terrible play of Holland in the 2010 Final.
    I too am glad that this is not place for this tournament. I can't imagine Collina wanting it anyway. Platini probably also may have wanted it the Blatter way, after all he was afgter his job, but now he is gone also perhaps sanity is restored.
    I hope we are not anticipating too much, we will see how it goes when it comes to the knock-out matches and the final.

PH

colman1860 repped this.