Match 18|France vs. Mexico|17-06-10|Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by Horsehead, Dec 4, 2009.

1. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Re: Match 18|France vs. Mexico|17-06-10|Play-by-Play Thread [R]

Apparently you don't follow CONCACAF qualifying, it always comes down to the last 2 games.

FWIW France needed a late goal to beat Costa Rica in France a month ago.

And what did France have to do to qualify besides losing to Serbia and squeaking past mighty Ireland?

Oh yes, they finished ahead of Austria, the 68th ranked team in the world.

Don't blame CONCACAF for UEFA's lousy qualifying system.

2. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "El Tri" got the deserved 3 points for their courageous performance (even though the 1:0 was a debatable decision), whereas France disappointed once again. Well, after the cheating against Ireland, "Le Bleus" seem to taste some bad karma...

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Haha, WHAT??? Good thing you're not coaching France either to be honest. You like putting out of form, past it strikers in? Strange.

4. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Domenech: "C’est la catastrophe totale vieillard imbécile, il a conduit toute la république au précipice
    "

5. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston

seriously. i have no idea why he was kept on after euro 2008. was there just no viable option as a replacement?

it is sad to see all that talent amount to nothing. but i dunno if it's all down to just inept coaching.

in my opinion, this team was going to fail badly even if france qualified on fair terms.

i do like him a lot too. he is one of the few bright spots in this team.

i agree with this.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great win for El tricolor! Congrats Mexico! And Blanco scores at the ripe ol' age of 37... now all he needs to do is score at WC 2018 and he'll overtake Roger Milla's record.

Uruguay v Mexico is gonna be insane. The fight to avoid Argentina in the round of 16. The winner of that game could go very far in this tournament.

7. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma

I don't blame CONCACAF for anything, but do the math; it's not like with your 3.5 spots you have to actually work hard to qualify. I mean, the two best teams will qualify in CONCACAF...and when are they not USA and Mexico? Everyone else are minnows who haven't a chance. Barring a catastrophe, both USA and Mexico will always qualify, while the minnows battle for the third place.

UEFA get's 1.5 spots; that's it. Every team has to struggle and lots and lots of quality get left out of World Cups, and that's fine, it should be hard.

Again, the CONCACAF teams deserve to be at the WC, but you guys get enough slots already.

8. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    english please?

9. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009

Eh, Oceania population is so small. I don't see how you can lump in West/Central Asia with East Asia. What does Iran have to do with Japan for example? They're totally distinct regions with no historical rivalry. Oceania is closer to the East Asian countries actually. There's a huge swathe in West/Central Asia without a team representing them in this World Cup.

10. luis_mx

luis_mx New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Falls church
    Domenech: "C’est la catastrophe totale vieillard imbécile, il a conduit toute la république au précipice

Domenech: It's a total catastrophic old imbecil, he conducted the whole republic down hill.
    Old idiot, you dropped the whole team down the hill?

Meh, those 4 years of French helped a this Mexican just a little bit.

My points on the game :

France didn't do shit, they were not a threat.
    Mexico did OK, actually the subs did most of the work. Rafa Marquez pass ---> Javier Hernandez goal.

Then Barrera's skills, this dude is seriously talented, he needs to be honed to be a top player but he already shows a lot of potential. He'll be out of Mexico in no time.

Also, our defense was OK, but not terribly great, except for Salcido, that dude is sick :D.

My last two cents, France was bad, Mexico was DECENT. I hope Mexico continues to improve though and go far in the tournament. None of the teams have impressed me though, only Germany have done so, but not totally since they were playing against 10. I've yet to see an all-out match.

11. garogaro

garogaro New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Great game by mexico and france. This is one of the best games so far! Keep it up mexico this was beautiful football, way to represent the concacaf.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    ^^^^ This.

Decent can get you far, though. Playing as a team is half the way to the cup.

13. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    France reminds of Serbia & Montenegro in 2006.
    They had a good team and just collapsed mentally because of problems in the locker room and etc.

14. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005

Great performance and result by Mexico. Hope they play nice against Uruguay to a tie.

Bye Bye France!

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    im not even sure i would compare the 2 lol. serbia had a great qualifying campaign, which admittedly, didnt transfer to the WC. but france on the other hand just has a bad team. it was pretty apparent from the players that domenech brought on. gignac?!? valbuena?!? an aging anelka?!? i mean valbuena is decent, but this france team outside of its wing backs and d-mid has no depth.

16. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who's left out that should of made it?

Are there any European teams that made it that, perhaps, shouldn't have?

17. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If France played as a team they would easily top their group, don't you agree?
    Their starting players are top quality, except for Govou.

I compared both teams because they came to the WC without spirit, much unlike Mexico today.

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so they're going to lose 6-0 in their final game and South Africa will pip either Mexico or Uruguay on goal difference?

:p

If anything France 2010 reminds me of France 2006 after the first two games (draws vs. Switzerland & South Korea), minus Zinidane Zidane and now they are in a much, much tougher group than four years before.

I also said there was a parallel between this group and the one they had in 2002 and it's even more eerie now. Think about, Uruguay is Uruguay who they drew 0-0 with in both 2002 + 2010. Mexico would be the Denmark of 2010 and they lost 2-0 to both and I guess you could say South Africa is the Senegal of that group.

19. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Senegal was better.

20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It's really sad to watch the tragic way France are playing at the moment, considering all the great player they got... and Domenech (or 'Dummernik' as he no doubt would be called in Denmark, which means stupid or hopeless guy ) just dont seem to have a clue.

21. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his bum from hopping.:)

22. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So if we would talk in the terms of european rating agencies we could now say that the bonds of the french national team have been downgraded to "Junk Bonds"!

23. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France is new Los Angeles Clippers

24. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma

Republic of Ireland
    France.

Other than that, the teams earned that spot, so should be here. Better luck next time for the others.

25. luis_mx

luis_mx New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Falls church
    The thing that I dislike about Mexico is that we create play after play just like any other top team, except we have a seriously tough time finishing them. If we had the strikers that Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina has we would be world class ;). We have to rely on our young guns though and as we all know, boys don't win tournaments, men do. But I hope that last statement proves to be wrong and that we pull through. It's hard not to love Mexico seeing how they play, but at the same time it's masochist's dream watching the team every game.