Match 17|South Africa vs. Uruguay|16-06-10|Pre-match discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by Horsehead, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Me since I am a Ghanaian, I have to go with the South Africans to beat Uruguay, since South Africa the Bafana Bafana will have the home crowd advantage on their side which especially in international football helps a lot, not only that but with altitude SA they are used to it, and the way they played against Mexico, I can see them beating Uruguay, I support you guys Bafana Bafana, but if you guys tie Uruguay, all the better, but a realistic prediction here from me right now is that I think South Africa will win this game 1-0. But I also have respect for Uruguay as well, and in fact I think they could very well look threatening against Bafana Bafana

2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Guys on Fuera de Juego say Uruguay will look something like this:

.......Cavani.....Suarez.......
    ..............Forlan...............
    A. Pereira....................M. Pereira
    .......Arevalo Rios.....Perez......
    ...Fucile...Lugano...Godin
    ............Muslera...........

Or best I could figure--they mentioned that Fucile and Cavani would be teh two changes coming in to replace Victorino and Nacho Gonzalez, respectively, and that's all I could come up with as a formation.

Much more attacking.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's my whole point, as things stand now, they might not need to win the last game to advance with another draw.

Still, I do think both teams have to view this as there best chance for 3 points with France last for RSA and Mexico last for Uruguay.

Having said that, RSA doesn't have the guns to try and attack, and given Uruguay's proclivity in the first game, I doubt they'll do a full 180. So slightly more attacking, but hardly all guns blazing.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Forlan, but also want the hosts to do well, and I'm a CONCACAF homer, so I'm hoping for entertaining stuff where everyone can hold their heads up afterwards, and hoping France doesn't advance.

A pity too, I loved the French Plantini teams of the 1980's, thought they got jobbed by the ref's and Germany twice, and love Zidane (including the headbutt) and Henry during his Arsenal days, but my sense of justice is against them last time. Plus, Domenech is awful.

So good luck to you both, and if RSA don't win this one, BEAT THE FRENCH!

4. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Mmm, seriously i dont think they go like that.
    Fucile cant play centre back, he can in both sides. He will take one pereira's place (which will go up to midfield) and the other pereira will cover the opposite side.
    And I dont know which position Forlan will play but he needs to be in the centre, not close to the sides, then i think Cavani taking a wing.

5. tolucafan

tolucafan Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tie

6. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    From what I heard, Maxi Pereira will play as a right back, meaning that Arevalo Rios will play as a right midfielder, which does not suit him. I would not trust Tabarez, since he said we would play a 3-5-2 against France, and we ended up playing a 5-3-2. But SA will give us the field to attack most likely so we won't play as defensively this time around

7. Manya

Manya New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    um you do realise that perez is still in the starting 11? He will play on the right...

8. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think RSA will win.

Sure hope the game is good too.

9. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Go Uruguay! Hope they can win it.

10. King Uribe

King Uribe Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    come one guys tie 0-0 :D

11. Navieko

Navieko Member

Jun 23, 2006
    QLD Aus
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Aside from wanting to see both Australia and New Zealand get through the group stage, I'd LOVE to see South Africa progress.

Vamos Bafana Bafana!!!!

12. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Last three games have been in the top 5 of the WC so far and I expect this to be another good game. South Africa and especially Uruguay will be more offensive. Going for a 1-0 to The Boys;)

13. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    What I saw is Perez in the middle and Arevalo on the right. about an hour and a half til game time.

14. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tri-nation unity:eek:

15. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Perez played over the right and Arevalo over the left against france, but in this game seems like Palito will take the left so i dont know how they will divide the field. Maybe 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 since Cavani has played the wing in Palermo sometimes.

16. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New match thread up.