Match 17|South Africa vs. Uruguay|16-06-10|Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by os_mutante, Jun 16, 2010.

1. sauronbc

sauronbc New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    It was offside , but the ref didnt ruined de wc to RSA , because they didnt deserve tie or win the game , blame the RSA for their passionless game they played

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Big kudos to the Uruguayans, too. Defeating the home team is never easy. And dominating it the way they did was great.

Spoilsports, they killed the party. But, oh man, that was a good show of how to neutralize a team that depends too much on speed on the flanks.

France may be up to the neck right now, but no one scores 3 past them. No one. I can see them losing 1-0 at worst. Or 2-0 if there is an early red.

But there's no scenario under which I see anyone scoring 3 past France. No way, no how.

3. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    pareira is a joke ripping the ref the way he did. south africa NEVER had a chance in this game. he played a conservative match and his team didn't create anything. clear penalty. south africa, at the beginning of this tournament, i wanted them to do well, but as a few people were saying it was almost as if they expected FIFA to do them a favor like they did with South Korea in 2002. sorry bafana, but your world cup is over

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with what Shaun Bartlett said on ESPN post game. If Parreira wanted to win the game, maybe he should have started two strikers and should have had a better strategy to win. He was outcoached. Plain and simple.

5. DiablesRouges

DiablesRouges Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Campbell, California
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Felt the correct call should have been matching yellows with a PK. If not there does need to be a psot game review for dives because I'm sorry Suarez theratrics are an insult to soccer/futbol etc ...

I also do not agree with the premise that the DOGSO mandates a red card. I do feel that DOGSO should care a red card in 85%-95% of situations there are some where it does not seem to fit the crime.

The keepers intent was to prevent a goal but as seen he clearly made an agregious attempt to fould however what's troubling is that the level of contact was akin to someone gently tapping your shoe.

While technically that was a foul and mandated a penalty due to intent the execution of the foul was so poor that a foule was nearly non-existant.

Embellishment is right singlehandedly ruining the game. Ice hockey suffers from a similar fate but at least in ice hockey players can take runs at embellishers or even pick fights soccer has no such form of self-policing.

Embellishers ar rewarded while those who are playing the game honestly are not it sets a terrible precedent.

6. TomDuke

TomDuke New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Moment when Cavani appears to re-direct the ball:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I would say he's even. got a ruler and put it where the south african player ends and Suarez arm is just offside. Would be harsh to call him offside after a deflection so I think the rule "benefit of the doubt to attacking team" would apply well in this case.

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you go to FIFA's site and grab a copy of the Laws of the Game (PDF) and scroll down to Law 12.

It plainly states that DOGSO is a red card. Whether or not you agree with that is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

• serious foul play
    • violent conduct
    • spitting at an opponent or any other person
    • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
    • denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
    • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
    • receiving a second caution in the same match​

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proving that he's not offside, since he's even with the defender, and the AR has a very clear view and is perfectly aligned

Thanks for posting that.

10. TomDuke

TomDuke New Member

Jun 22, 2007

According to the 6-yard wide box pattern that they use in the grass (which trumps often-inexact camera angles) the far-side man in the white shirt appears well offside to me.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's even. One of the best refs in the world agrees he was not offside. A poster on BigSoccer does not.

I'm done arguing the point.

Legit PK, legit red card, and player not in an offside position. Frankly, anyone who disagrees with me is flat out wrong.

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, the picture clearly shows he WAS offside. I also don't think DOGSO should have been applied as Suarez kicks the ball away from the goal (where he can't reach it), rather than across or towards (where he can reach it). PK and maybe a yellow card would have been more appropriate imho.

It's also being discussed in the refereeing thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461637

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If I had the time and inclination to watch the match again, I'd be curious to know how many touches RSA had in the Uruguay penalty area. I remember a Uruguay supporter saying that some of the "non-calls" would've been PK's at the other end, but I honestly couldn't remember enough times when a South African was moving with the ball at his feet in the penalty area for that to even be an issue.

So, yeah, I think Shaun has a point.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the picture show he was clearly not offside. I think the PK was clearly correct. And I think the ejection was clearly correct.

I'm with Massimo Busacca and his crew on this one (no offense to our resident BigSoccer refs who I'm guessing haven't ever been CR for a UEFA Champions' League final or a World Cup match).

15. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Uruguay played South Africa off the park, regardless of the penalty/red card it was a thoroughly deserved win, SA looked completely toothless in attack the entire game.

Can't believe South African supporters were walking out of the game before full time, yeah they came off 2nd best today but this is a World Cup at home FFS they may never get this chance again...

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really bothered me. I can't imagine EVER leaving a US World Cup game I was attending live, no matter what the outcome was.

Hell, I was in the stadium in Gelsenkirchen four years ago and watch the Czechs tear us apart. I stayed until the final whistle and applauded the team like a mad man afterwards.

17. BobG

BobG New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You judge by torso. Attackers torso is in the light green area - defender's is in the dark green area. Even if you look at the feet, attacker's feet are practically on the line between dark and light.

I don't get this with the keeper foul either. Keeper is coming out to make a save. Instead of shooting, attacker pushes ball to side. Keeper kind of changes motion of foot, but there's no way he's reaching that ball. His feet are on the ground when contact is made.

Maybe attacker might try lifting his feet a little higher.... if he had any interest in avoiding contact. He made a bad touch and didn't have much chance of turning that ball into a shot.

18. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    it was disgraceful. the worst part of it was that when all the "fans" started leaving it was right after khune had been sent off and the score was only 1-0. what if forlan's shot had been saved? what if SA had scored a miracle goal? i mean i can't really get over how bad those "fans" are.

its one thing if you leave with a minute or two early in a blow out or whatever, but at the time there was 10 minutes plus stoppage time and the game was in the balance! i mean why wouldn't they have atleast waited to see if the penalty was scored? half the people were already on their out by that point.

19. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    So Uruguay dominates SA and all you guys talk about is one play? And Cavani appeared to deflect it? How do you know he did? And how do we know that's the exact moment that he did?

In the 2 Uruguay games, neither France nor SA had posession of the ball in the box even once as far as I can remember.
    Arevalo Rios and Diego Perez are machines in the middle and Godin and Lugano are a great pair of central defenders. And Forlan is one of the top strikers in the world. I just love how he takes the penalty kicks.

VAMO URUGUAY NOMA!

20. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    hey no one is taking anything away from uruguay. defensively they have been so good.

i have you all going very far, just make sure you beat mexico so we don't meat in the round of 16

21. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I know that, but there's a refereeing forum if you want to talk about the refereeing. This is to talk about the game. And Uruguay dominated.

22. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Sixteen teams that are better than South Africa at least. Want a list?

23. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is all very childish. Uruguay deserved this win, you can complain all you want about offside calls and penalties, but it's not like the lesser team won. Congratulations to Uruguay and Switzerland for playing football to the best of their ability and getting the win. That's all that matters.

24. FIREbradley

FIREbradley New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    In the image that you see or footage that you watched, is there a pattern on the field?? If there isn´t, then maybe I can understand how your mind is tricking you.

Look at the following image. Are the lines straight or crooked?

[​IMG]

25. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    They had their chance in the Mexico match. Once they failed to hold the lead it was over. It was always tough to see how they could make it out of the group but the win over Mexico was a necessary step.

:groan: This may be true in the end, but using what happened to S. Africa as an illustration for this shows a total lack of knowledge of the recent history of the S. African national team and even the history of host nations in general. This isn't a normal host national side. They're quite bad right now and the way they're being coached at the moment is part of it. They've probably run that relationship way past it's expiration since they haven't gotten any better under Parriera, they've only gotten steadily worse since 2008 when they re-hired him after he quit on them. They were at least good enough to qualify for the ACN back then.

South Africa actually had a decent team in the late 90's and qualified for a few World Cups, but the current edition wasn't strong enough to have qualified for this Cup without being the hosts. That's the biggest thing that ppl are missing in this, S. Africa went through the regular qualifiers with the rest of CAF bc it doubled as a qualifier for the African Cup. They didn't make the final groups for qualifying. So what we're seeing here is this is is the first host nation in the modern era that wasn't capable of qualifying from their own region.

You can't compare this team to the US in '94, bc they had qualified on their own for the first time in '90 and have qualified for every Cup since then. Comparing this team to Korea and Japan is also a bit silly bc they are both regular qualifiers out of Asia. South Africa hasn't been capable of qualifying out of Africa for some time now. This is no surprise, and though we may have hoped for more, and I don't think it spells a disaster for the rest of the African teams in the Cup. So calm down bc this means less in the grand scheme of things than ppl on here seem to think.

I still believe in the Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, even Nigeria and if any of them can make a run the locals will turn out for them I'm sure. Or maybe they'll root for the Dutch, I don't know.