Match 15: Honduras-Chile 16 June (Pre-Match)

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ----------------------------------------------
    Match 15

Honduras v. Chile

16 July 2010 - Mbombela, Nelspruit

LOCAL/CET 1330 hrs
    EST 0730 hrs
    PST 0430 hrs

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

AIM Chat Information

coming soon...

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Re: Match 15: Honduras-Chile 16 June

Time to put some chilenos to cry :p

In all seriousness, I think that this game is truelly a toss up. Honduras has shown they can hang with Conmebol (at least in friendlies) and it will be neutral territory.
    I really hate that we had to play Chile in the first round, because I really like la roja. Hopefully Wonderkird Alexis Sanchez wont have a good day.
    What really scares me is that BIelsa has 6 months to gameplan Honduras...that really sucks,
    I say 2-1 Honduras on one early (and biased) prediction.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry, gotta go the opposite. Chile are playing very well and with confidence. I watched a few of their matches this qualifying round and they showed significantly more confidence than when attempting to qualify for WC06.

Of course, as a Spurs supporter, I also want Palacios to do well (but not too well ;)).

4. socc

socc New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I agree with soccernutter. In my opinion, the result is going to be something like 4-0. Sorry jcvf90, I´m just being realist :)

5. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

We are 2-3 all time with chile, only a -1 goal differential. Bielsa is a great coach but he had a much better team with Argentina in 02 that was expected to do much better and failed.
    So I think that Honduras really has a shot in this game, more than people think.

6. socc

socc New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Well, I don´t agree with you in that, but I hope you are right, as that would be a surprise for everyone. And that´s exactly what I´m hoping to find in this World Cup: a surprise. Even the winner of the cup... it would be great if it is a team that never won the WC before.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We should all know that "all time" means almost nothing in the WC, specially since one team hasn't been there for 28 years.

That said, I'm not going to call the score. Honduras could bring excitement and positive momentum to the match as a happy, "new" team to the tournament. OTOH, they could also get overwhelmed and fail under the bright lights.

As for Bielsa coaching Arg. in 02...well, anybody could get those guys out of the group stage (well, lets see how Maradona does), but the trick is advancing. He took those guys and advanced (WC02 was a strange WC being that Turkey made the semis and the US nearly beat Germany to make the semis). That means he has coaching ability.

In qualifying, at one point, Chile sat second to only Brazil. They also qualified higher than Argentina, a team with much more tallent. This, to me, clearly indicates that he is a quality coach. Plus, he has WC experience, which IMO counts a lot.

I don't discount the chance that Honduras has, I just think that Chile is better and will be more prepared in the head.

8. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

I dont understand your first paragraph, he did not get them out of the group.
    I agree in that Chile is the favorite, no doubt. But I think the difference is not as bad and we can pull out a win here.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, confused was my intention...even to myself. I had forgotten that (and my computer stalled at that moment, so I could not verify - was not remembering who they lost to in the knock-out stages...now I remember why I don't remember that. :eek:)

10. Shakur

Shakur Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Spain
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I honestly think Honduras doesnt have many chances in this world cup...but who knows...football is unpredictable and specially in this kind of competitions.

Chile is playing very well and has reached a spot in the WC 2010 playing great games, solid way to qualify. I think right now the sistem Bielsa uses has made them be one of the top 5 national teams in the world that most attractive football do...I dont expect a Chile loosing to Honduras, because if they loose this...they dont have a chance. The negative part is that most of the talent of Chile is classy but young, I dont know if they will be able to manage the pressure that a World Cup has. Veterans like David Pizarro and Humberto Suazo (although they havent never played a world cup) have the responsability to manage and lead the locker room, help coach Bielsa in that task.

Suazo vs Suazo in the forward position...lol. My prediction: 1-3 for Chile.

11. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

subs.

I hope we can draw against Chile.

12. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

David Pizarro has retired from the national team. Which is sad , a great player.
    Having a young team can be good since they are more hungry to make a great impression.
    i have faith on this chilean team they are a team for the future. It would be a success for Chile just to pass to the second round(hopefully not against Brazil). To gain more experience is great for these youngsters just to have a taste of the greatest competition. And til the next world cup 2014 in Brazil, most of these players will get older and wiser . So i don't see nothing else than a success for Chile in 2014.

13. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Estadio de Nelspruit
    [​IMG]

14. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

That grass (the same as the Mestalla's) is considered holy by me.

15. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

Soccer is unpredictable.

Chile - in the second half of the qualifiers (last 9 games)

- Chile lost only once, away to Brazil in what is likely one of the best international games of the year.
    - they got 20 of 27 available points (the most in conmebol)
    - big home victories over Argentina and Ecuador, as well as away victories in Colombia, Paraguay and Peru.

Honduras last 10 games (concacaf final group)
    - 16 of a possible 30 points, 5 W 1T 4L
    - big home wins against Costa Rica and Mexico
    - only 1 pt away from home

I think its pretty clear that Chile go in as favorites for this match. But that doesn't necessarily mean much - Chile struggled against Venezuela at home, for instance, in a game that they were heavily favored in.

I'll still predict a 3-0 Chile win

16. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

this is interesting and true. you never know how players, especially young ones will react in a world cup.

there are some things that as a Chilean give me confidence in this young team
    - most of the young players played at least one U20WC, which though different in scope were huge games against big teams.

- the players are confident. most players have been on championship club teams and with successful national teams their entire careers...they know how to win. Arturo Vidal recently said they're going to south africa to win the world cup -- which is the type of attitude that we have lacked in the past

- the magnitude and pressure of some of the conmebol games i thin do rival those of the world cup. heading into the hostility of Lima, the altitude of La Paz, the intensity of Asuncion, and Brazil........and to play successfully in those places gives me the impression that at the very least we have a team that won't coward.

17. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

I wonder how will Honduras play, we all know Bielsa will play his 3-3-1-3.

18. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 with two holding Mids, two man on the wings.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

Im confident Honduras can spring an upset over Chile. I hope to god Chile underrates us and sleeps on us. Honduras 1-0 Chile.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If anything can be learned form South American qualifying this time around, don't discount anybody. I hope Chile takes that lesson to the WC.

21. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Chile I think they will come out with the victory on this day, and beat Honduras 1-0, as I think it will be one of those very tight games until the end, with Chile scoring near the end of the game, as Chile are a very tough South American squad to play against especially since Chile are young, so are Honduras, but Honduras don't have that type of mental experience when it comes to facing off against South American countries, if Honduras wants to beat Chile, then I say Honduras has to set up a friendly match or two against South American nations before taking on Chile

Chile 1-0 Honduras as the scoreline here, my prediction

22. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua

I think Chile should win this game based on our performance in the last Conmebol Qualifiers. However, the last time we faced Honduras, we lost 2-0 in a friendly game, that was played in January 09. Carlos Pavon scored both goals for the "Catrachos." At that game, Chile used a couple of players that are part of the roster right now, like Pinto( second choice GK), Medel, Orellana and Millar. We should see how the game goes at the World Cup. It is important to mention that "la roja" has not won a game in a world cup since 1962. So, it has been 48 years of waiting; I predict a 3-1 victory for Chile with 2 goals scored by Suazo.

23. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

H.Suazo won't play this match:(

Anyway we'll win 2-0 (Sánchez and Valdivia).

24. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

I see us winning (Honduras) winning 2-1, Rambo and Amado.

25. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

fnck............ 4.30 am? damn