Match 15 - CRO : ALB - LETEXIER (FRA)

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 19, 2024.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croatia : Albania
    Wednesday, June 19
    15:00 CET / 09:00 EDT
    Hamburg

Referee: Francois Letexier (FRA)
    Assistant Referee 1: Cyril Mugnier (FRA)
    Assistant Referee 2: Mehdi Rahmouni (FRA)
    Fourth Official: Sandro Scharer (SUI)

VAR: Willy Delajod (FRA)
    AVAR1: Jerome Brisard (FRA)
    AVAR2: Bastian Dankert (GER)

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling this one could be a challenge. I also have a feeling that you might be watching the EURO 2028 Final referee in it, so we'll see if both of those feelings remain the same afterward.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. Orangebarista

Orangebarista Member

Feb 22, 2024
    Netherlands
    I really like him, but not sure they would give him the EURO final at the age of 39. In terms of motivation etc

4. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    has all the makings to be a difficult 2nd half.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I'm engaging in rampant speculation here and guys like Kassai and Cakir never got the final, despite being tipped early.

At the same time, if you are that good and elevated, you don't just stick around for two whole cycles for the hell of it. Particularly when your national team is typically excellent. If he's at his second EURO and if he performs well and if France isn't in the last four... yeah, Letexier is a candidate for 2028. You don't say, "sorry please wait until you're 43 when none of those things might be true (and you might get injured)" just because.

RedStar91 repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eighteen fouls in one half is objectively a lot. That many without a yellow card is notable. But working thus far?

frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big decision regarding a no-call on the potential APP foul at 76'. On the one replay they showed, I think Letexier and VAR get it right. But it prompted the change of possession that led directly to the goal and the Albanian player did go down claiming an injury, so it will be a controversial one--particularly if another angle shows more. All leads to a dissent card, too.

8. Orangebarista

Orangebarista Member

Feb 22, 2024
    Netherlands
    He must be head and shoulders above the rest then. And that’s questionable after his WC play-off recently.
    39 is very young and UEFA does care about referee motivations.
    In 2028 there is also 43 y.o. Oliver and Kovacs. Nyberg also loads of potential. A lot can happen in the meantime. I do think, Letexier has even more potential than Turpin.
    Letexier is already assigned to hot clashes and Balkanics at a young age, unlike Turpin.

Side note: before the EURO, Makkelie was briefly interviewed by a local newspaper. He was asked why his UCL 23/24 season ended already after a quarter-final. A political correct answer followed: “he dreams of a Champions League final. That chance will come ‘naturally’ because he has a certain age now.” Between the lines, this confirms that age does matter…

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I regret making this comment, but here goes...

No he doesn't. He needs to be one of the small group of elite referees, he needs to likely have done the UCL Final in the next four years, and France needs to not be involved. He needs to be an option. And I think he will be.

It was an Olympic playoff with no VAR. One match that went poorly and wasn't even under UEFA auspices. If others were judged by this standard...

Here's the thing. None of the other truly elite referees came online within UEFA while they were in the 33-34 range. So while 39 is sort of young, 6-7 years of pedigree is not when you talk about maturity.

Also, Kassai had the UCL Final when he was 36. Michel when he was 38. I think everyone would agree they were subsequently EURO Final candidates once they got that match.

If Letexier gets a UCL Final in the next 4 years (possible to probable?) then he's a candidate for the 2028 EURO Final. Doesn't mean he gets it. Doesn't mean he's the top candidate going in. But the idea that a French UCL Final Referee wouldn't be a EURO Final candidate because he's "too young" is insane. No one made Clattenburg wait in 2016, to give a good example, as he was newish to the scene and eligible for 2020.

Right, a lot can happen. Plenty of variables and things that could go on between now and then. That's why I said "might."

You know a lot of people think Makkelie is a pompous prick, right?

Also, why is Makkelie's answer in the third person? It sounds like that's commentary.

Also, it undermines the idea that he already would have had it if not for PSG. Does age matter or does it not?

Finally, why is everything about Makkelie?

RedStar91 repped this.
  10. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Hang this comment in the Louvre :D

RedStar91, AremRed and code1390 repped this.