Match 14: Brazil x Korea DPR

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    strategy to overcome parking the bus -- set pieces. get a few corners and free kicks and brazil is money. if they park the bus, i can see brazil going 3/6 on those. 3-0 is a decent result.

2. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    we struggle when teams park the bus and if we go by the Dunga Era this could be our most difficult match.

3. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    More like it's the first match and everybody is itching for it to start.

4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    They have a fluid counter-attack but quite vulnerable in set pieces. Brazil, Portugal and IC will certainly explore that. Their height is ridiculous.

5. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    You really shouldn't follow stereotypes. The defenders are between 182 and 185 cm with a couple of field players 180cm or more. Not a very tall team, but lets not get ridiculous with their height being ridiculous. All of the Korean team is taller than Deco.

6. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Here's me quoting myself:

Next time you want to use weak excuses, try to watch the game per se.

7. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I never said they weren't vulnerable on setpieces... Portugal, Brasil and Cote d'Ivoire are very tall teams with no less than (I may be mistaken with the count) 10-12 players in the first 10 (excluding GK) over 185 cm between them. That means 1/3 of the squads are over 185 cm!!! (BTW Not that it matters but Portugal is actually the smallest of the lot unless they play Rolando).

I'm just saying that North Korea isn't a small team. You want a small team? Check out Ghana.

8. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Give me URL you used to check the statistics.

9. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Er... Wikipedia :) I checked the height for probable first XI (omitting the GK) - if I make a mistake please let me know, as I'm guessing in a couple of positions (line-ups can change, I'm not alfa and omega and Cote d'Ivoire has a new coach):

Portugal (Duda, Ferreira, Bruno Alves, Carvalho - Pepe, Liedson, Deco, Simao - Ronaldo, Nani)
    AVERAGE HEIGHT: 179,8 cm

Cote d'Ivoire (Eboue, K. Toure, Sol Bamba, Siaka Tiene - Zokora, Y. Toure, Romaric - Keita, Gervinho, Drogba)
    AVERAGE HEIGHT: 183,7 cm

Brasil (Maicon, Lucio, Juan, Luisao - Gilberto Silva, Kaka, Ramires, Melo - Robinho, Fabiano)
    AVERAGE HEIGHT: 183,9 cm

Portugal is on average 4cm smaller than the likely lineups of Cote d'Ivoire and Brasil. And actually even if Almeida and Rolando start Portugal will still be smaller! This basically is because of you small midfielders and wingers (Dede and Ronaldo excluded).

BESIDES: Its not the average height that matters. What difference does it make that Deco and Simao are below 175cm? They won't be defending corners or attacking on setpieces...

10. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    You were not very smart then, were you?
    I admire the way you overlook some things I say, only to underline them afterwards.

Still, where's North Korea in the picture? It's not in Wikipedia. And It beats me why you're making a comparison between the main 3 contenders.

It's also obviously inherent that when it comes to body mass, impulsion and off ball movement, Portugal, Ivory Coast and Brazil are vastly superior. Any of the starting defenders have the obligation to head some goals in.

11. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I love the way I have no idea what your going on about...

You can find the height of all North Koreans on Wikipedia in the first XI save for one. They are all taller than 175 cm.

Simple. Because you asked. Unless I misunderstood your request.

EDIT: I believe you misunderstood my 'smallest of the lot' remark. I meant of the three group contenders.

12. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I asked you for the URL to check North Korea, not the 3 main contenders.

My opinion of the "height being ridiculous" was obviously intended to set pieces and players involved from North Korea. Something that I reinforced afterwards.
    But for some reason you go from North Korea to the 3 main contenders, first implying that they're not that small and finnaly coming to a conclusion that average height is meaningless.

Structure your thinking. You debated with yourself and got confused by yourself.

13. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    No. We just miscommunicated. I could analyze it if you want... but what for?

Portugal being the smallest of the three contenders was just an observation. Not an argument.

North Korea IS NOT THAT SMALL. Their height is not ridiculous. Their aerial ability may be ridiculous, but North Korea is a normally sized team given the three teams in this group belong to the taller teams.

Average height of first XI:
    178,8 cm
    So they are on average just 1 cm smaller than the Portuguese.

It's not like it's that important...

14. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    What's the point of asking you for something and then you make an observation that is not related to it?
    The only confusion here is that you didn't interpret my words as they were written.

In no time I wrote "average" before height, did I? And it's amazing how once again you contradict yourself by using that same math, when just before you said it was irrelevant.

The height I mentioned was concerning the korean players that defend in set pieces. And Bruno Alves (1.89), Ricardo Carvalho (1.83), Pepe (1.87) and Cristiano Ronaldo (1.86) - our best headers (yes, Pepe if fit will be in the lineup) - will be towers on those slim and common height koreans, in 3 out of 4. And yet, I bet Ricardo Carvalho could make that 1.85 defender you mentioned look like a toothpick.

15. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    If it makes you feel better and helps us close this subject - yes, I misintepreted your question.

One more time: Most Koreans are around 180 cm with 1 or 2 players below 178cm and 3 defenders at 182 or above. 182 cm is your typical height for defenders. Carvalho is a great header, but he is not taller than Korean defenders.

The Korean defenders are not ridiculously small (on average or individually). They are average. That does not change the fact that their group opponents have lots of tall players or players strong in the air.

Your comment on the Koreans' height being ridiculous remains ridiculous. And the issue is so stupid and pointless I have no idea why we wasted so much time discussing it.

16. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Exactly my point. Because when I state that the height of defenders in set pieces are actually smaller than any of the 3 main contenders, it's also inherent other factors like body mass, impulsion or off ball movement.
    The in-game perspective of their defenders is "ridiculous".

It's not only logical/common sense (that you ironically share), but you had to make it into a pitiful arguement over "average height". Not only you took it literally but you failed to grasp the notion of "ridiculous". Which curiously enough, I explained in the post after and you just simply ignored or overlooked. Five posts after and you're still on with this.

My last word on the matter. Keep wasting time by yourself and for yourself, if you wish to.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not interested in a back and forth here. Discuss the group, don't reply to each other. Further posts will be deleted. Keep good posting habits here.

18. salamilover

salamilover New Member

May 29, 2010
    I sometimes wonder if N Korea can break the Brazilian defence.
    N Korea is pretty fast team.

19. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  20. turbogt redded

turbogt redded Red Card

May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Bristol City FC
    I remember Brazil raped Japan so badly in 2006.
    But N. Korea isn't as horrible team like Japan.
    N. Korea is much stronger than anybody would think.
    I guess Brazil will narrowly beat N. Korea.

21. thetaylor310

thetaylor310 Member

Jul 30, 2004
    São Paulo-SP, BRASIL
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As a coreano-brasileiro, i naturally expect Brasil to win over North Korea but i would expect some defensive resistance from them

This match will be on my birthday, so i will go ahead and thank the Seleção for a nice gift :D

22. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    this game reminds me of brasil china 2002

brasil 4 n korea 0

23. Tiao_do_Verdao

Tiao_do_Verdao New Member

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Korea DPR will resist a bit.

BRA 2 x 0 KPR

24. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i hope we can score a bit more than this. i dont want first and second place to be decided by goal differential or goals scored. we need to get 4 by north korea.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brasil 3 x 0 Korea DPR

Two goals from headers off corner/set piece. You heard it here first.