Match 14: Brazil x Korea DPR

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil[​IMG] x [​IMG]Korea DPR
    Tuesday, June 15 at 20:30
    Johanessburg

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. I will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    One interesting thing to note -- some of the Brazilians might already know this -- is that one of our lower division teams -- Atletico Sorocaba just played North Korea IN North Korea. The game ended in a 0-0 draw...in front of a crowd of 80,000.

The Brazilian players noted that North Korea's #10 -- Yong-Jo Hong, who plays in Russia for Rostov, is their best player.

Here's the link for those who want to google translate it yourselves.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Espor...O+BRASIL+NA+ESTREIA+CONTRA+COREIA+DO+NOR.html

Looks like scouting will be difficult. The player said that he was only to get one DVD of the Iran-North Korea qualifier -- no audio or line-up information at all. lol.

3. QuinnMartinSeduction

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    I am going to put $20 on a 0-0 draw. Brazil will discount them and North Korea plays a tenacious, aggressive defensive system. I think it would be great if this happened. Brazil would have a lot of pressure on them.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I find it hard to see Brazil tying this game and this is despite my often-voiced displeasure at our home ties to minnows like Bolivia and Venezuela among other teams. A huge factor helping those teams is their experience playing Brazil. As tenacious as North Korea may be they will be forced to handle things they've never dealt with before - whether it's Luis Fabiano's incredible first touch when he's in form or Elano's pinpoint passing or Maicon's penetration. Something will break them simply because they won't be prepared for everything.

5. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    And I think especially when you consider that North Korea is just so isolated -- they just don't play that many games. they havent qualified for the Asian Cup in ages. and in the games that they do play -- the qualifiers, well, they're playing against teams like mongolia and saudi arabia (although they did tie south korea in china). these players simply have never seen the talent that the rest of the world has to offer. on the flip-side, none of us have really seen what north korea has either. but i think most teams at the very least have dealt with a technically limited bunker team. but ronaldo, drogba, or kaka? north korea has never seen that.

6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    As usual, people are skimming over the facts here.

They haven't played Asian Cup because they haven't entered for the last two editions. The previous editions they did enter, they didn't qualify, because a) only 10 teams did and b) because of political interference.

It bugs me when you say they play teams like Mongolia, yes they did, but that was in Round One, they had to get to Round Four to qualify and it's not easy coming above nations like Saudi Arabia and Iran.

It's a fact that they don't score many, but they aren't pushovers either and they will probably be preparing for Brazil from this day one getting plenty of games against Brazilian club sides.

No doubt, Brazil should win, but it may well be their toughest match in the competition trying to break North Korea down.

This game will probably give us more questions about Brazil afterwards and top class European opposition may be able to review it and really see Brazil's weaknesses.

It's tough for Brazil, they are expected to win and not show any sign of weakness of holes in the squad at the same time

7. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

i wouldnt say Hong Yong-Jo is their best player, Jong Tese (a forward who plays in Japan for Kawasaki Frontale) would be the best player for them. he's known as the Peoples Republic's Rooney. pretty decent striker imo

8. Tleilaxu

Tleilaxu New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Brisbane
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Brazil are gonna smash them. Probably 6-0.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interestingly, North Korea has a couple of players who were born in Japan, and who chose to play for North Korea, the country of their parents.

One of them, Jong Tae Se, plays in the Japanese League - as hanul21 mentioned - and the other one, Ahn Young Hak, plays in the South Korean league. According to my South Korean friend, both are key players in the team, along with the one you mentioned who plays in Russia.

Other than one player who plays in China, all others play in North Korea.

My South Korean friend, who's watched them in the qualifiers, says that they will most likely play with Jong as the lone forward, Yong Hong in midfield to launch the counteratack, along with Ahn who is a DM, and everybody else back defending in their own penalty area.

But we'll see. Certainly it's an intriguing team.

10. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i also wonder how it will be from a political stand-point. i mean, the WC won't be shown in North Korea and from what i've read, the north korea highlights will be very edited.

btw -- check out this really cool travelogue by 2 europeans who go from vienna to pyongyang by train! very cool read.

http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-everything-began.html

the culture there is just so...well...intriguing as well. in particular, the brazilian team that just played there recently said that the stadium was very mute the whole time. and that after, literally all those in stadium formed a path after the game that led to the brazilian team's bus. haha.

i really wish kim-jong il would allow some sort of documentary crew just to show the team's preparation because i bet it would be really cool.

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    No, i wouldn't say Jong Tese is the best player. He is the best goal threat. But i have seen him play in the J.League on a good few occasions and he doesn't set the world alight.

North Korea recently played in the EAFF semi-final stage. Jong Tese wasn't called up (afterall no regular player was). But he was recalled at short notice for a must win game against Hong Kong. He the pressure got to much for him and he failed to deliver. Hong Kong knocked Korea out! If he can't fail to deliver against HK, what chance at the world cup?

Again, Hong Yong-Jo has been mentioned as their best player, but he's only really one of a very few known players hence why the media will probably pick him out come June.

Ahn Young Hak is the player that holds them together, but come World Cup time, there will probably be a surprise player we have never heard of being the star man. And more than likely, he won't be allowed to leave North Korea and waste his talent!

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! They're probably going to tell everyone that North Korea actually won the world cup... maybe they report that they win it every year... :D

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    There probably still showing highlights from '66, defeating Italy every year!

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    either that or they're telling everyone that the North Korean wear yellow + blue and have all had some major plastic surgery done.....

15. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'd say Hong Yong-jo is their best player. It is pretty sure that they will have to rely on dangerous set-pieces to have chances to score some goals. Hong is an excellent set-piece taker. He is also quick and has ability to serve accurate cross and long ball.

Brazil will win with ease if they do good job of shutting him down.

16. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Jong's parents are from the South. According to the our regulation regarding the nationality, he is still a South Korean citizen per se. (He tried to give up his South Korean passport but was denied by the South Korean Ministry of Justice due to South Korea's refusal to recognize the sovereignty of the North.)

But he went to a Korean school that is run by Chongryon, a pro-North Korean organization and de facto North Korean embassy in Japan. So he has always considered North Korea as his fatherland. And watching the North Koreans' failure in WC 2006 qualifier inspired him to play for them.

Ahn Yong-hak's grandparents are from the South as well.

17. MarocFAN

MarocFAN Member

May 18, 2006
    Morocco/Germany
    By the way how was the reaction of the poeple and media in north korea when their team qualified? Are there any north korean sites?

18. itaman-redded

itaman-redded Red Card

Dec 17, 2009
    I remember Brazil killed China 4-0 in WC2002.
    Hmmmmmmmm since North Korea is stronger than China, I believe Brazil will squash North Korea 3-0 or 1-0.

19. Shakur

Shakur Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Spain
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wow im impressed some of you guys even know some players of North Korean squad, thats incredible :D. Its not my case anyway.

Anyway, easy win for Brazil, I mean come on, if they cant win easily this kind of teams than they wont win the World Cup, so my prediction: 3-1 for Brazil, with the North Koreans surprising everybody with the first goal :p.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm... not sure I would say that N.Korea 2009 is stronger than China 2002 coached by Bora... I'm thinking it'll be 5/6-0. I saw Brazil's B team smash the UAE 8-0 in Abu Dhabi... Germany beat Saudi Arabia by the same score... wouldn't be too surprised to see a similar scoreline here

21. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    To be truthful the 8:0 Saudi Arabia - Germany match was a one time thing. If they played again with the same squads I can't see this being repeated. Germany would win but not with any such big margin.

22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i agree -- especially since KSA managed to keep it somewhat respsectable in their other games that year.

but i still think 5-0 is a big possibility. and since it's the first game, it also might depend on how long brazil keep some of their key players in. i'd imagine if it gets comfortable by the 60th minute, we'd see kaka and LF off probably. so we might then coast. who knows.

23. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i will be attending this game live - i am hoping for a blowout here...

here's going to be the starting lineup for brasil i hope.

gk- cesar
    def - maicon-lucio-juan-kleber (LB - i would prefer alves, but he makes a great sub for elano in the 2nd half)
    dmf - melo-silva
    amf - elano-kaka
    fw - robinho-fabiano

25. FCShootdori

FCShootdori Red Card

Sep 13, 2009
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah but Chinese players have got this "I Suck" mentality.