Match 13 - ITA : CRO - WEBB (ENG)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 12, 2012.

1. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I guess Webb saw a connection with that elbow...and from behind. Can't fault him for that.

2. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Webb does look like a menacing fellow, those eyebrows are sharp. He seemed like such a nice guy in that Les Arbitres movie. It would be nice if there was a documentary more about him, maybe after he retires.

3. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    3 wrong offside calls against Italy so far

4. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Really. I thought only one was iffy from our angle and the timing of the ball being played, but do you really think they have had much effect on the match? Italy is lucky to be in a 1-1.

5. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Well the latest one, Di Natale was through, started in his own half when the pass was made. Not sure how the play would have ended but you never know.

6. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    That man can manage players!

7. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Can you remember what minute that was so I can watch it later?

8. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I really want him to write a book about that. Collina should've but he didn't. I'd like a book about what to say and how to approach players, because many many referees should learn how. It's a difficult skill to learn if you've only been on the other side as a player. You can find some empathy but it's far from easy.

9. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Yeah, disappointing from Kirkup. Still baffles me why he replaced Cann who was the class act in South Africa.

Overall, another highly accomplished performance from Webb. Low key, managed the players to perfection, and even got himself out of some sticky situations with his ability to manage situations. Nicely done.

10. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I want to say around the 80th minute but not sure. Not really a big deal, a lot of those decisions were really tight though.

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I certainly would not say "as always", but he did have a nice game today.
    Better than his first.

12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Really? Allowing play to continue into the smoke from the flare? And "as always" is stretching it a bit.
    Don't let your patriotism get in the way of your judgment.
    Kept card in pocket too long. Caution near the end on Croatian player was very soft, not nearly up to what
    he had let pass earlier. Elbow in the back of the head only a yellow?
    AR2 should learn the "keep the flag down" principle. Three calls looked clearly even.

PH

13. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    the last one was definitely a big deal, and even if one would argue that chance, the denial of three chances certainly add up to a big deal.

14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    No, not really. Because each one of them was close, maybe not even wrong!

Anyway, from a couple of posts ago, the smoke from the flare was more likely worse on TV than in the stadium.

15. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Think Cann had family things or an injury? It's hard to imagine Webb would allow Cann to be taken away from him if he didn't ask for it.

16. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not an injury. This trio has been planned for awhile.

It's either performance-based, as Cann did have some difficult EPL matches. Or it's Cann's choice to stand down and let someone else get the limelight and the big tournament experience. I believe I remember reading the latter somewhere, but I can't recall for certain. There was some speculation that Webb would do the same for Atkinson, but that never materialized.

17. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I wonder how much say Webb gets in the final appointment to his crew. I would hope it would be a lot, like he'd have veto power or something.

18. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When your own place in a tournament is not guaranteed, it's hard to have "veto" power.

The trios are, more or less, the crews that work together most of the year in UEFA competitions. There is some variation throughout the year, but the trends are pretty apparent. Also, there are two small exceptions at the tournament, as a French and Slovenian AR each failed the fitness test at the last hurdle.

Any influence that Webb (or any other referee) exercises in the formation of his crew at the beginning of the season probably depends almost entirely on the individual FA. In the case of England and the FA, I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that Webb had a say in Kirkup's selection. Kirkup has been that crew's reserve AR in the past.

19. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Webb good, to my amazement.
    Linesmen disgraceful, but can't blame Webb for that.
    In a way a draw was a fair result for a game of two halves, but there is really no excuse for robbing a team of three legitimate goalscoring chances. But when has UEFA ever cared about legitimate?
    Again Cassano penalized for the opponent tripping over themselves. Webb's only big mistake there, and the refs must stop judging players on reputation and observe what happens on the field. Balo and Cassano both suffering ref prejudice so far.

20. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    You haven't even proved the AR made one mistake and you call him disgraceful? Make your case...don't just pass judgement like you're god.

21. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I disagree...in fact, it may have been the opposite. Watching live, they never showed a replay of the foul called on Raketic against Balotelli, which led to the free kick goal by Pirlo, so I just finished watching several replays of it on my DVR. I do not see any contact.

I cannot think of any play where a foul should have been called in their favor that wasn't.

22. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    lucky? you were lucky to be in the match in the first half. And Cassano was not offside, Italy would have had an open goal and led 2-0. Game over.

23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Who is this lucky? I have no side here. Plus, he was at the half way line. Stop.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  24. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Not di natale, Cassano when he played the ball to balotelli I think and he rolled it into the net. Even the commentators on setanta said so.

First half Italy 11 shots to 2. We had many chances to kill them off it goes both ways.

25. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    OH the commentators, well they must be REALLY smart to get a job talking on Television. I believe everything I see on TV and it always makes me mad!