Match 13: Cote d'Ivoire x Portugal

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I disagree with this completely. Portugal has played in a very distinct manner during the qualifying campaign. We want the ball on the floor, with short range passes between players in the midfield and wide players. Our wing backs overlap and when presented with an opportunity will attempt to throw in a cross.

I don't know about CI dominating Portugals midfield. I think it will be pretty matched actually, and our speed on the wings will force your mids to run a little more then they are use to. I predict that IC will control the midfield and generally the game for 15 minutes. If Portugal absorb that initial pressure, we will slowly gain control of the midfield, the game and get the ball to more advantageous positions.

Before the ACN, I was worried about this game, very worried. But I watched IC run in the African Cup, and while their offense is world class(WORLD CLASS), you guys are basically playing 4 completely offensive minded players, who all play in very advanced positions for their club. Chances you will create many of them, but Portugal defense has to be considered one of the best in the tournament. The likes of Bosingwa, Carvalho, Alves are all technically adapt, physically capable, and no stranger to outright speed and quickness.

Returning to the offensive nature of IC, including strikers in wide positions(Kalou, Gervinho, Keita), and Drogba's role to be distributor instead of the tip of the sword, further reinforces my beliefs that the midfield of IC actually is more vulnerable then some make to believe.

Also, someone states that we play too individual. Offensively, I will say you can still make a case for this(Although we are much improved in the last 4 or 5 games), we do create chances, its just we have a very difficult time of converting them. But as a team unit, especially defensively, Portugal are extremely SOLID. The defensive unit of IC on the other hand..well....

I believe, firmly, that if Portugal can absorb the first 10 - 20 minutes of high offensive pressure that IC will apply, and do not suffer a goal. Portugal should be fine. If WE do dominate the midfield, IC will be in trouble.

2. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I think a lot willl depend on whether Pepe plays.

I agree Cote d'Ivoire has more weaknesses then many people think they have.

3. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    If they don't address their piss poor defence, and mediocre goalie, they could be toast.

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    The goalie is passable. Truth is good goalies are hard to come by. The issue is defence and at the moment I don't really see a solution... Eboue and Boka are both great, but they are both very offensive players. Tiene also does well and may be a better choice for defensive play. Problem is who to put together with Kolo Toure - he doesn't seem to work well with either Bamba, Meite.

Maybe Angoua Brou Benjamin who really seems a tremendous player? Other options are Igor Lolo (having a good season at Monaco), Marco Zoro and Bakary Soro.

One more thing: Cote d'Ivoire really need to take Didier Ya Konan to South Africa. He is the creative force in midfield that the team lack.

5. DmouthGunner

DmouthGunner Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WC is very different than both qualifying and ACN. I would not read too much into either. In addition to the tactical discussion, don't underestimate the importance of venue and injuries. Bosingwa looks set to miss out and Pepe looks likely to not be match fit at best. Club injuries from now to the end of domestic seasons could play a huge part as well.

As far as venue is concerned, playing this WC on the continent will be a huge boost to all of the African nations. I can see many of the South African fans getting behind the African nations during "neutral" matches, playing that 12th man role.

The one stat that has surprised me is that no European nation has ever won a world cup that wasn't played in Europe. Not sure if there is any correlation to group phase matches, but it does bode well for the South American Big Boys as far as the entire tournament is concerned. And also suggests this is really one of the best opportunities that an African tream could win the Cup. I think Ghana and the Cote d'Ivoire would have the best chances of the African nations, but CI would have to go through Brazil, Portugal, Spain (likely), Italy (likely), then probably Germany or Argentina and finally facing Brazil again in the finals. That sounds like mission impossible to me.

6. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    OT: Essien is looking iffy for World Cup fitness... that downgrades Ghana's chances immensely.

7. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I really want Ivory Coast Cote d'Ivoire to beat Portugal, because since I am from Ghana and I am Ghanaian, and Ivory Coast are our next door neighbours geographically speaking, I support Ivory Coast too, and Ivory Coast are too sick of a team at full strength with Drogba, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure, Bakary Kone, Salomon Kalou, Gervinho, Aruna Dindane, etc., I should see Ivory Coast beat Portugal, to cause an upset, Ivory Coast can do it

8. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this game will be the biggest test to see if Portugal has what it takes to make a run.

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    it's almost upon us not long to go this is what i want to see in our starting 11

---------------Eduardo------------
    Miguel---Carvalho--Alves---Coentrao
    ---------Pepe------Veloso---------
    Ronaldo-------Danny----------Nani
    --------------Liedson-----------

maybe Raul for Veloso not sure yet

10. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the exact team that i would put in, given the players called up to portugals squad

11. soccerrule

soccerrule New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Portugal wins this one ,in a good game !

12. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    FIFA.com interview with Romaric, Sevilla's midfielder.

13. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I would really like to see Ivory Coast win this one. They are the 1 african team that has a chance to go a bit farther in this WC.

14. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ivory Coast & N. Korea are going home ! I see Portugal and Brazil tied for first and portugal ahead in goals scored.

15. KaNgArOoS

KaNgArOoS Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Goodison Park
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Based on what I have seen so far, there is no way Portugal will beat Brazil. Ivory Coast, though wonderful last world cup, has been a disappointment.

I predict that Ivory Coast and Portugal will be 1-1 and it will come down to Brazil and NK. No way Portugal is going to win this group.

16. GILSAN

GILSAN New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Madeira
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I also agree with your choices, with Queiroz probably using Meireles in place of Veloso and Hugo Almeida in place of Liedson. Pepe is taking longer to get there, than we were all hoping.

For me, our weakest link is our coach. There is no excitement in this team and in the country, thanks to him. I hope he proves me wrong, but the closer we get to the opening game the more I believe that a draw with the "Elephants" will be a good result.

17. Fee-Go

Fee-Go Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Portugal's midfield did just fine against Cameroon yesterday and clearly dominated before and after Eto was sent off.

18. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Outside of Eto'o Cameroon doesn't have the depth of talent that Ghana or CIV have. The CIV matchup will be much more difficult, even if Drogba cannot go 90.

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am not overly worried. Portugal have been in similar situations before. Lets see if IC defense can hold up, lets see if their midfield which will include 2 strikers, and without the play making of Drogba can be lethal...

20. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Indeed, if anything I'm not worried about our defense. But scoring goals...

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly, Ronaldo has to score 1 in group play...or at least provide some helpers. But I am more confident in our transition play, and defense then IC.

While losing Nani was bad, and does hurt. Losing Drogba(Portugal = Ronaldo) is worse.

22. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Portugal's tactic is quite interesting. I don't know if anyone noticed yet, but I think CQ is trying to build our team around defense. In fact, it's a counter-attack tactic. Considering what we will be facing, it's not a bad idea...but here is when it gets funny.
    We've been playing friendlies that represent no true test to this tactic. In the midfield-attack transition, Meireles is not the best passer around and Deco is too slow. But in the mind of CQ, the likes of Pepe, Alves and Carvalho will be enough to hold on Gervinho & co., leaving the offensive execution for Ronaldo, Danny and Liedson against the overexposed ivorian defense.

How insane is this man? Our midfield won't be fast or efficient enough.

23. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Queiroz has done this for a while in qualification, its nothing new...but the losses of Bosingwa surging from rightback and being so fcuking solid defensivly, Nani's raw pace, technical ability, and crossing from the bench, and Pepe not 100% yet really hurt Portugals counter attacking strategy.

24. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Not exactly. In fact, CQ changed 4-4-2 of the qualifyings to a 4-3-3. This gave a false sense to most people that we were going to play beautiful offensive football. The friendlies against mid to weak african sides are nothing but a sham...it's still there.

25. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Meireles is great for fast transitions. He's not the guy to do a killer pass, but the worst thing we want for a fast break is a Moutinho or Tiago type player hogging the ball and focusing on keeping possession rather than going immediately for the transition (which Meireles does very well).