Match 13: Cote d'Ivoire x Portugal

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cote d'Ivoire[​IMG] x [​IMG]Portugal
    Tuesday, June 15 at 16:00
    Port Elizabeth

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. I will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. kwame_tdot

kwame_tdot Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Allez les elephants!!!!
    3 points against Portugal would be a huge boost for the boys and should propel Drogs and co in good stead for a 2nd place finish

3. wolf6656

wolf6656 New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Canada
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Certainly one of the most eagerly awaited games of the group stages! Man I'm pumped!. Win lose or draw, this is what you want in the group stages.
    You want a tough group, so that....
    A. you eliminate a tough opponent and
    B. you don't have to play the other tough opponent for awhile if at all.

This must surely be the best possible draw for each of the top 3 teams in this group. Obviously Brazil is the most dangerous, but can you choose between these two teams? Now?

4. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bosingwa-Carvalho-Alves-Miguel
    -------------Pepe--------------
    ----Fernandes---Deco----------
    Ronaldo--------------------Danny
    -------------Liedson--------------

That defense has to be one of the best in the tournament, add that to the fact Ivory Coast play attacxking soccer even with a pretty shady defensive corps, their style suits Portugal perfectly.

Danny is now returning from injury, as is Fernandes, massive boosts to the squad.

This is Portugals best 11 imho, and they have some serious weapons off the bench.

Alot of people seem to be vastly underestimating Portugal even though they went through some serious adversity in qualification:

- Being placed in the uefa "group of death" with Denmark and Sweden.
    -Fernandes(who was at the heart of Valencias rise up La Liga) and Danny(the man Zenit paid 30 mllion for and who russian fans considered in the same category as Arshavin in Russia, and was being chased by Chelsea right before he got injured)) both injured for almost a year
    -Deco and Carvalho missing half the qualification matches due to injury(2 of their most influencial players)
    -Ronaldo missing the last 4 games(bar 20 minutes) due to injury

And they still managed to qualify, while making the potent Bosnian attack in qualification(3/4 highest goal scoring team in europe in a group of spain turkey belgium etc) with the likes of Ibisevic/Dzeko/Pjanic/Milhovic(playmaker from wolfsburg..forgot his proper name) looking feeble

They can't go through anything else as bad, all their injured players are coming back and due to the time off will be well rested and still fresh come June.

Fernandes and Danny are recovered from injury.

Carvalho is back to his silky supreme best this season after a tough season the year prior, while deco, after starting well has tailed off..but when people start to talk out about him being "finished" he steps up..as seen in euro 2008 where he performed admirably.

Also Ronaldo is back and ready to go after recovering from a injury that stoped his sizzling form( a goal a game average for Real Madrid)

Also, they have Bruno Alves along the backline now, a titan in the air and a pillar of strength, something they lacked in euro 2008. not sure how many rate him, but hes quality.

They also have some really good talent coming through in Coentrao on the left wing, Carrico(looks like the second coming of Carvalho), and even Varela, who has alot of qualities that Portugal has been looking for in a forward..but can also play the wing, as he does for Porto(hes been keeping Hulk on the bench lately)

I think 6 months is a long time, and with their team healthy, they will be extremely dangerous, especially as everyone is considering them underdogs in a group where Portugals two other competitiors(with all due redspect to North Korea) practice flowing soccer, which suits them perfectly.

Portugal always seem to perform better against quality opposition and when they're underestimated.

The biggest barrier they face is...will Liedson keep the form he's been in the past 3/4 seasons as a striker, or will his inclusion be too late?

That and Queiroz, their coach makes some questionable personel decisions in the XI and his tactics have often left others dumbfounded. He also plays favourites, and often leaves out players who should start on merit/talent in favour of "his" players..like paulo ferreira, duda etc.

Basically, they battled through massive injuries to some of their best players, while also going through a generation change as well as a coaching change at the same time.

5. DmouthGunner

DmouthGunner Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever pulls this one out, wins 2nd place. I see the Elephants winning a tight one 3-2.

6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Ivory Coast needs to win this one or they are screwed. If they draw, Portugal will have the advantage of playing Brazil in the final game who may be resting players and both teams may go through with a draw if CIV loses to Brazil in a match where Brazil winning is much more important than their final game. Also both Portugese speaking countries may play for a draw in the final game to help each other out.

7. Canadaplaysfutbol

Canadaplaysfutbol New Member

May 31, 2007
    Florida
    Les elephants!!!!!!!!!!

8. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :mad:

our names are not germany and austria

9. ronaldinh010

ronaldinh010 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    No way does Brazil hep Portugal win anything. That's complete bunk.

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Can't see Portugal/Brazil doing a German stalemate.

11. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    With Pepe's injury up to 3 to 6 months, he might be in danger of not being in the WC. However, if he recovers just in time, unfit for matches, CQ will take him. I'm not that worried.
    I just hope he gets back in shape decently during practice.

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hes gone for 6 months dude, as in he cant train before then.

I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not, what a massive blow for Portugal.

Who else can add the combativeness, strength in the air, and athletism that pepe brought to portugal as a D-mid?

13. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    moutinho! :d

14. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    to short for the high balls as a D-MID

15. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Real important loss for Portugal... but still even without Pepe they look decent.That said Cote d'Ivoire's strong suit are corners, crosses and set pieces aimed at the tall players (not only Drogba) and Pepe was really needed in that department.

Bruno Alves and Rolando are 188m and 190m respectively, with the other DMs and defenders no higher than 182m (with Rolando a substitute). Meanwhile Drogba in 188m, Salomon Kalou at 186m, Boubakar Sanogo at 187m, Yaya Toure at 191m, Romaric at 187m, Sol Bamba at 190m and Kader Keita at 184m. Each with at least good jumping and heading capabilities. Of those at least 4 Ivorians are sure to start and 6 are likely to start.

Unless Cristiano Ronaldo (184m) and Edinho (191m) start defending corners it could be rough for Portugal.

16. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I was joking...

17. Shakur

Shakur Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Spain
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think everybody agrees this is going to be the key match-up of the group. I dont care much who wins...all I want to see is a tough, disputed and surprising group, where everybody struggles to get one single point. Because everybody talked about the group of death in 2006 but everything was finished before the third and last game, with Argentina and Netherlands qualifying with 6 points, it honestly dissapointed me.

This is the last chance for Cote d`Ivoire, Drogba , Kolo Toure and many other players are going to be too old for WC 2014 (supposing they even qualify), so they have to step up and show the world all the talent this team has, the best of Africa for most of football fans. And its a big chance for entire Africa also, to prove that african football can compete in World Cups, besides they play at home (in african continent) so I think this time yes, this will be Africa`s world cup, maybe not winning it, but I see some african team reaching the semi finals this time, and this could be Cote d`Ivoire. It all depends on how they manage the first round, if they qualify and kick one of the big deals out (Brazil and Portugal) it will be very difficult to stop them at death rounds (even if they play against Spain).

Portugal doesnt have a determined style of playing and I seriously doubt they will for the time WC begins, players aint playing like a team and most of the games they have won is because of individual and puntual plays, and everybody knows that doesnt work in world cups, besides, one of the key players of the squad, Pepe, in injured and might miss WC or reach it in bad form...Portugal still has a good team but...they loose an important player.

I think there is going to be 2 keys for this game: first of all, the midfield. It is going to be a strong battle on the midfield, with the muscle and hard africans (Zokora, Toure, Romaric) battling the more tecnical and soft european mid (Deco, Veloso, Meireles, Moutinho...who ever plays), they will struggle against the physical tough africans, and only if Veloso steps up and does a good physical job they have a chance, if you add the factor that Portugal`s doesnt have a defined style and that they have a hard battle on the mid...the conclusion is they will struggle to create goal oportunities.

The other key is both stars: Ronaldo and Drogba. First one hasnt showed same level in national team than in Man Utd and Real Madrid, if he continues the tendency Portugal wont win this...but if Ronaldo reborns with national team they might have a chance, its all about the rest of the team help also. And Drogba always perfomes well with national team, he has the responsability to finish oportunities for Cote d`Ivoire, hard match up with his teammate Carvalho, both know the strong and weak points of each other so its going to be interesting.

My prediction: 2-1 for Cote d`Ivoire and the africans qualifying to the next round.

18. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    CIV will own the midfield, I can gaurantee you that. I have not seen one match since wathching this team(going back to 2005) where CIV has not completely dominated the other team (yes even the 4-1 loss to Egypt CIV were dominant) CIV will create very many chances, that is also gauranteed, they will score (they will probably also miss tons of chances ) . The key is whether or not Portugal can succesfully wheather the storm and hit hard on the counter attack, which is exactly what Egypt did (with some luck as well that day) Lucky for them the CIV defence is poor as is their keeper.

19. Shakur

Shakur Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Spain
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

What is the defense? ---Eboue---K.Toure---Meite---Boka-- ??

If thats the case I dont see them as a bad defense, I agree with the poor quality goalkeeper though.

And yes you agree with me that Cote d`Ivoire midfield is going to dominate Portugal`s mid, thats why I said that Portugal aint gonna do many goal chances, they have to score the few they have. Zokora,Toure and Romaric must be the most physical midfield of the world along with Muntari,Essien and Appiah. Deco is going to be pissed.

20. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    thats pretty much the defence, but Meite is replaced by Sol Bamba of Hibernian. On paper the defence looks good, but collectively they dont seem to play well together. Also guys like Boka and Eboue go forward a lot and get caught out at times, could be very deadly when going up against the likes of CR. Sometimes the coach plays Tiene at LB who defends more than Boka, I suspect he will do so vs Portugal and Brazil, while saving Boka for the Koreans. Funny enough I thought the ivory coasts olympic keeper did well and should be given a chance to prove himself, he seems to me to be better than their #1. He is a part of the squad but hasn't played yet for the full team.

21. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    So, any thoughts about IC's performance in CAN?

22. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They are going to have their asses handed to them by Portugal and Brazil in the WC.

23. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    By Portugal? Did you see them play lately?

24. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Funny, have you seen IC play lately?

And don't tell me that by the time WC starts it will be different because the same can be applied to Portugal. You can't have 2 different measures for the same theory.

25. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Chess: So? It's not me saying that Cote d'Ivoire will have their asses spanked by Portugal... It's Pyros. So direct your attack to Pyros.

I'm not basing anything on the AFCoN performance of Cote d'Ivoire. I know what I already knew - they are terrific in attack, lack creativity in midfield and their defence is just too AWOL.

If you go through my posting history you will see I find Cote d'Ivoire overrated as a team, but at the same time I don't see anything in the Portuguese side that would make them favourites to win (Portugal has CRonaldo, but Cote d'Ivoire have Drogba). Every tournament is different and the fact that Portugal were poor in qualifying and Cote d'Ivoire were poor at the AFCoN doesn't say much...

Question is will the sides perform to their potential? I think Cote d'Ivoire's potential is higher, but I wouldn't bet any money on them winning with Portugal. Similarly wouldn't put a dime on Portugal winning.

One thing will be interesting to watch: Free kicks :D Drogba has been trying to replicate Ronaldo's freekicks with remarkable success (at least in the Premiership). Would be interesting to see who wins in this category (with CR naturally a clear favourite).