Match 13: Cote d'Ivoire x Portugal Post-Match Thread

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Playing for a draw vs. Brazil is akin to suicide.

If there's a team that excels at breaking bunkers, it's them.

2. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Agree completely with post-match red cards for diving. I don't understand why they have to wait for *repeated* diving. One dive is enough for a red card. The problem would be in the final when there are no more consequences we could see diving galore.

Blatter is a corrupt fool.

3. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I hear you, buddy. It is damn frustrating. Ronaldo will never learn, he is too immature and only cares about fame and fortune.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's not exactly true of Brazil in a long time.

5. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    He brought the World Cup to Africa and protected our Vuvuzela. He's akin to God in my book, but I agree on the diving.

Last note, don't underestimate CIV's chances to come away with something from Brazil. Granted it was a friendly, but this side did go into Germany at thier home and come away 2-2. Peace, love, and enjoy the next Cup game.

6. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, i don't consider that 3 divings despite not being fault either. There was physical contact in all the plays, but i don't like this either. Worse was what Rossi did yesterday. That was a diving.

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm predicting CIV to go through. Africa's best chance at winning. The way Portugal played doesn't surprise me, they're not that elite.

8. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i would have really liked to have seen drogba in for dindane. this guy never impresses me. i think kalou and or gervinho could have gotten past contao on the other flank.

keita should have come on waaay earlier too

ivory coast was such an attacking force last world cup, and sven has managed to make them look like england. glad they managed a point, but if they had gotten the win they'd be in a comfortable position.

9. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcCRAcqaFo"]YouTube- Portugal vs Ivory Coast - 15/06/10 - Cristiano Ronaldo Dive![/ame]

What's irritating is that the commentators don't even have the balls to call a star player on a dive.

10. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's not their job to ridicule a player. They call the match! Diving happens every game.... refs need to enforce their will and give out red cards. That'll teach them a lesson. But you need star players to sell tickets and what's funny is the ref gave him a yellow card for what?

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If someone yells at you and provokes you you walk away. Ronaldo was stupid and turned around and engaged Demel. Sure it wasn't a brawl or anything but it was stupid and immature of Ronaldo. If he walks away he avoids a card and the CIV player gets one.

12. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009

It's their job to create an exciting atmosphere and provide insight for casual fans. Ignoring a blatant question mark like that when every fan is wondering what just happened looks really bad.

13. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, i'm also very irritated with our performance, but i have to give credit to CIV. Great team that, surely, will be hard to beat by Brasil and any other national team. A strong midfield and talented forward players makes them a serious threat. They only don't have a number 10.

14. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    A dive is a dive.

No player should dive, it's pathetic, and it should be a straight red. That goes for De Rossi, Christiano Ronaldo, and every other player, even if they are a "star" player.

15. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm not excusing Ronaldo. Just saying that he is the most criticized by that, but not the only one.

In terms of fair play, Figo was way better than him.

16. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And it's a good strategy. I was responding to the idea of Brazil being apathetic if it comes into the last game with 6 points (which already assumes that we will have won the previous two). If that comes to pass, I don't think the Ivorians need to fear that we'll give Portugal an easy game.

17. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I miss watching Figo play.
    :(

18. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    For me, his generation was the one with more potential to win an European and maybe doing something at the 98's world cup. To bad they missed it.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Diving is impossible to tell, in part due to cultural differences. In such an international game, there is no way to prevent it.

Nordic types would think Mediterranean types are playacting just because they don't remain subdued and quiet. And vice versa, Mediterranean refs wouldn't buy into it unless they see some passion in it.

So, short of fitting the players with sensors all over and monitoring that for clipping/touching, there is no way to avoid it. It's become part of the game. Smart players dive in such a way that the ref buys it. Which can be the soft dive if the ref is a Swede, or the screaming "Madonna! Mi ha ammazzato!" dive if the ref is from Spain.

You can look at it as a test of social intelligence.

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah I don't generally have a problem with it. I just hate the whining that comes afterwords.

21. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    No, it could easily be taken care of as millions have suggested with post-match reds.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No, it couldn't.

Those dives that are not right in front of a camera cannot be decided even by the hundreds of fans commenting them on YouTube.

23. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You have a point, but seeing top shelf players behave that way makes my blood boil. I really wish that at least clear dives (no contact) were straight reds.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Truth is I didn't like it at all until a couple of years ago.

Then, I had a Buddha moment and realized hating it was like hating summer.

At least for now.

25. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    You don't have to penalize every dive. Just by red carding blatant ones like De Rossi's, you'll create enough threat to make players think twice about embellishing. It should at least be tried in small tournaments. There's no excuse for not trying it at all in 20 years.