Match 13: Cote d'Ivoire x Portugal Post-Match Thread

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ----------------------------------------------

Cote d'Ivoire 0 :: 0 Portugal

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Fair result.

Fábio Coentrão = MOTM. What an impressive display.

And like always, Paulo Ferreira was a little shaky...

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not for people watching.

4. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    What a great game that turned out to be - last few minutes were crazy!

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Second half better than the first but in the end Portugal replicate their qualifying form, CIV can't break through (but were close late)

As to the corner at the end - DON'T take a short corner once time is up, cross is straight in if you want a shot.

6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    What was the point of holding up play for the player to get treatment if he was just going to blow the whistle 2 seconds after they took the corner

7. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    0-0 was a fair result .

Côte d'Ivoire comes out looking the better team . Portugal relies on Ronaldo too much .

Brazil is going to walk this group .

8. Marcelinho Jesus

Marcelinho Jesus New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ivory Coast didn't deserve a point. They deserved all three today. They had more posession, and they created more chances than Portugal.

Also, I find it sad that Portugal and the Ivory Coast are going to depend on what they do against North Korea.

9. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    What was the point of giving away the corner?

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's a small thing, but does anyone else think that a slow short corner is the dumbest thing ever when you're in the 4th minute of stoppage in a game that only has 3 minutes of stoppage? Kick the ball in the darn box! Good gracious, some players are so foolish.

Anyway, Portugal looked inept. I can see how they almost didn't qualify. It appears that this group is going to come down to Brazil, and whoever beats N. Korea by more between the Ivory Coast and Portugal.

11. Englandin2014

Englandin2014 New Member

May 11, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK, you are about to take a corner kick and the ref holds you up to tend to an injured player and then he blows the whistle to end the game before you get to take your kick? WTF - isn't that what injury time is for?

12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He was willing to give CIV the corner - they could have crossed it directly into the box. It was their decision to take a short corner that was counter-productive.

13. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    why does everyone keep saying its normal for world cups to be defensive in the beginning? its normally the opposite

ivory coast played us last time in the opening game and were exciting and attacking and almost beat us in the end.

14. MachoRhombus

MachoRhombus Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why didn't the referree let Côte d' Ivoire make their play? =/

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I heard Ian Darke say one more time that both these teams were guaranteed to lose to Brazil, I was going to scream. What a sanctimonious creep. Both those announcers are just losers.

Pretty good game in the end. Ivory Coast had much more of the run of play overall; they're a high qualiity side. Pity Drogba is injured and couldn't go the whole 90; he might have made the difference.

Gervinho was MOTM for me.

16. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Not that this means much so early, but 1 win and only 2 goals for CAF teams so far.

17. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    That last kick of the ball pretty much summed up the tournament so far. Portugal needs a clinical finisher and Ivory Coast needs a playmaker. Seems like i was right in my prediction that two of today's games would be draws, now Brazil 2 x 0 Korea DPR.

18. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They did make their play. That play was to give up.

19. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He did, but Côte d'Ivoire wasted it on a short corner.

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    They could and everyone knows that short corners never work but I don't think he even gave enough time for anyone to have a chance if it was straight into the box.

EDIT: Ignore that, I've just seen the replay and they had plenty of time and just sat on the ball faffing around

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm pretty sure he said that's how it's expected to play out but he also said it won't necessarily be that way.

22. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    entertaining match.

i thought CIV deserved the win. tough to tell which of the two will advance with brazil. i'm betting on CIV.

23. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's basically what he didn't say; that's why it was so damn maddening, making assumptions like that.

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He whistled after they took a short corner. If they cross it into the box right away he waits for the header/clearance/whatever, it's that simple. It's not like he blew before the kick.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, this is football in the YouTube era.

Hard to tell. The tackling by Ivory Coast was very poor --after a tackle taking the ball from the Portuguese, there was no one around ready to pick up the bounce. That's not something I'd expect from a top team.

On the other hand, most passes forward by Portugal were either misjudged, misplaced or intercepted. They were always passing the ball to where the players had been, not to where they actually were or to the open space to which they were running.

All in all, exciting to watch but both teams showed some technical weaknesses that prevent me from saying they are contenders at this point. The match stats are very even, 50/50.