Match #12 vs Carolina Railhawks p/i/p

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by Battra, Jul 1, 2010.

1. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will try to accommodate you my friend. Our lack of height up front wouldn't hurt us as much if we played a more open passing game. It seems like we get bunched in midfield and then someone tries to salvage the situation by popping a ball downfield. That ball ends up being a leaping battle between Ambersley or Kreamalmeyer and the back marking them.

2. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis

Okay, first off I'd like to apologize. I was a bit over the line, especially with the length of my rant. In my defence, I'd had a long day, and I still stick by my point that dccoulthard made a rather snippy and douchey remark.

Totally agree with time for wine and some of the others...why can't we drink and cheer and also follow the game? Plenty of people do.

And as irritating as the smoke and drinking and other stuff may be to some (and I think the smoke grates on a lot of people, including me when I can't see the game), it's a part of any sport, and its a good way to enjoy yourself even if we're losing. There are two or three people that I've convinced to come out with the "it's a good time" argument even though they thought they didn't like soccer, and surprise surprise, they've all wanted to come again.

As far as the cursing for cursings sake goes, perhaps I'm guilty of that, although I only curse opposing players, the ref, and AC STL players who scuff clear chances/miss open passes. I'm generally not even cursing the ref, since they don't seem all that bad. I do believe, however, that to restrict cursing is preposterous, esp. when it comes in an amusing form, such as the Eric Reed chant. Frankly, I'm happy he heard it and that the stadium heard it---part of being a fan is giving the opposing team a hard time (as well as admiring their nice goal in the second half with stunned silence)---and screw the owners and VIP types if they can't take a little humor.

The sneaking in beers thing is a little over the line, I think...just tailgate beforehand, buy one 5 buck beer in the first half, go drink at halftime, then buy another in the second half. Congratulations...you are now plastered and are supporting the club a little bit. Then again, that's easy for me to say as I don't like to have more than three beers at any sporting event.

3. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. Ambersley and Kreamalmeyer are both talented players, but too short to be the man in the middle. I don't know the status of Elvir, but he needs to be in there. It's hard to tell the quality we have on defense- sometimes they make great plays and then sometimes they fall apart. Perhaps that's the nature of players at this level? Touch is awful by most of the guys, but again- maybe that's what separates Division 1 from Division 2. Lastly is Dufty. Sometimes he's great sometimes its a horrorshow back there. I think the more they play together the better they'll get. He did kind of join the team last minute, but overall I think he's been improving. Saturday was a bad result, but hopefully it was an abberation and they'll get back to their form they had before the LA second half.

4. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    I couldn't blame Dufty for either goal, to be honest.

Also, does anyone know if the team looked into signing any local Mexican talent as a sellign point to our small but significant Mexican population?

5. m311ton

m311ton Member

Nov 27, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everyone- first time poster here. I live in Fenton and finally was able to get out to my first AC game against Carolina. Thought I might be able to share a unique perspective on the discussion you're having here. I hope it adds some fresh ideas.

I'm originally from Chicago and spent many years watching Section 8 grow up as a supporters association. I know there are a tremendous amount of highs and lows ahead for AC supporters and already see many parallels between Section 8's growing pains and your own. Having a dialogue about those growing pains really helps advance the support and more importantly, the success of the club.

Coming into Saturday's game, I was curious about what it would be like. AC supporters seem to be suffering early on from some negative perceptions, ones that I know usually aren't true but must be addressed anyway. From what I have observed, a lot of people see the supporters more as hooligans than true supporters. This perception is constructed both from unfair judgments of outsiders, but also by how the section defines itself.

I quoted the post above because I think that is a prime example; what is your definition of "hardcore fans"? Personally I think it should favor the side of creative and relentless support, singing for 90 minutes, traveling with your club, and improving the overall atmosphere of home games. I do not think it should be dominated by cursing the other team, giving the FO headaches, and distancing yourselves from other fans. I'm not saying everyone needs to act like a prude and a saint, but there is a fine line between being a positive impact on the club and being perceived as hooligans or firms. That fine line never disappears unfortunately.

You all should be proud of the support so far; for an expansion team (and a bad one at that) you have a tremendous level of support. The smoke bombs are fun, your presence is definitely felt, and you are setting the foundation for a great future. I know you aren't hooligans and the growing pains you will continue to experience are normal; but just be careful how you position yourselves. Perception is reality. Make your section accessible to first-timers, continue to increase the creativity of your chants and displays, and have fun doing it while supporting your club. Buy tickets, buy beer, buy merchandise.

I look forward to joining you all soon and bringing more friends with. Keep up the good work, and Go AC!

6. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis

My definition is your definition: "Personally I think it should favor the side of creative and relentless support, singing for 90 minutes, traveling with your club, and improving the overall atmosphere of home games. "
    -----------------------

Traveling is pretty near impossible for most of us, although if we got to play KC and Chicago, I'm sure it would be a lot easier.

Also, I'm not sure what FO means.

In any case, the most creative chant we had all night against Carolina was "Cheer up Eric Reed", and that involved a bit of cursing. My point is, everybody in our section is an adult, and you know what you're getting into. People curse the ref and the other team in every sport (especially college sports, and AC draws a younger crowd in general). The players and refs are professionals, and they know how to handle it. I'm not saying we should just be in the corner yelling curse words over and over, but that if we want to incorporate it into some songs or something, we shouldn't feel bad about that.

I'm not sure how the cursing distances people in Sec. 20 from the fans...we're tucked away in a corner on the far side, and for the most part, we are the "hardcore", dedicated fans.

I totally disagree with the hooligan/firm implication...who on earth could possibly count any American supporters group as a firm? I have never seen a punch thrown nor have I seen any threats of violence. Perhaps if people watch Green Street they may think that singing songs and telling the keeper that he's s--t makes you the hardest firm around, but then again, we all know how wildly inaccurate and fantastical that movie is.

United Knights may look intimidating, but they are all really nice guys. Same goes for DayPints, HSC, and Chickenhead's gang.

7. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    p.s. if outsiders want to classify us as hooligans that's fine by me, but perhaps they could lift their lazy butts out of the fancy sections of the bleachers and come watch us having a friendly soccer game with the kids at halftime or *gasp* even being loud and cheering our team! as far as im concerned, if the wankers want to pass judgment on somebody, that's their business. as long as the club sells me a ticket, im fine.

8. Showstopper

Showstopper New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your post equals win! Look forward to seeing at more games to come.:)