Match #12 vs Carolina Railhawks p/i/p

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by Battra, Jul 1, 2010.

1. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    I was aware that the staff were annoyed with the smoke, although I didn't know that cursing was frowned upon. Besides the one kid, I didn't see anybody around.

Are they really that upset about it? I mean, it's clearly advertised as a section for hardcore fans. If you can't curse the other team, then what are we supposed to do?

2. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis

That would have been cool. I did like "We're so broke and we don't care."

Can I also say that the best song of last night was "Cheer up Eric Reed". I tried to get a "There's Only One Alec Dufty" going but it didn't last...maybe we can take turns with the megaphone?

3. Showstopper

Showstopper New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had, had more organization in the attacking third last night maybe the result could have been different. We just can't seem to string the necessary passes together. Right now I think that has to be the biggest thing holding this team back.

4. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't see you STLSpurs, where were you sitting. I don't think I was that drunk this week.

5. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm afraid the party is over. They were also walking through the stands taking away smuggled in beverages. Fair enough, but they never used to do it. Clamping down on the fun is just the beginning. I think I'm going to sit on my hands next weekend to show them what the game is like without the corner. The club has used us for their own gain and now they want to bitch about what we've been doing all along. Fine. Perhaps I'll quit wearing the chickenhat and also quit pimping the team. Maybe I won't encourage people to come to the games. There's a whole lot of things that I don't have to do.

The crowd was weak last night. I could have stayed home with my family for the Holiday weekend, but I choose to support my club. But when my club no longer supports me- why should I care?

6. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are we sure the smokebombs are banned? I say we test them, just quick ********ing throwing them on the field!!(that means the sidelines too) and I bet they will be okay with it.

7. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    I was standing in sec 20 with three other guys, about halfway up (a bit towards the goal from your corner), pretty close to United Knights.

That said, not sure we've been formally introduced...perhaps youre thinking of STLSpursFan, and not STLSpurs?

In any case, I will def. agree that the crowd was weak in numbers, although fairly strong in voice. Can't make it this weekend (although I hope AC will have some strong marketing during the semi-final matches), but on the 28th we've got portland, minnesota, vancouver (weds 28th, sun, fri)...

I think that that would be a great opportunity to get a whole bunch of people down, and perhaps even have a meeting of the supporters groups before the first game to coordinate some chants...i think the amsterdam has a sunday license through august or something, and im sure theyd welcome the business during that post-WC/pre EPL lull.

perhaps we could also get section 8 going somehow?

lastly, i'd like to think that theyll be okay with the smoke withing reason...esp. if we do it mostly before/after the game, a little at half-time, and maybe 2 or 3 flares per half.

the sneaking in beer thing is a time-honored tradition for some, although 5 bucks isnt so bad to support the team. the club should, however, look into getting someone that doesnt hold us in such obvious contempt.

8. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the concern was how well the sound traveled in the empty stadium. If you have a full crowd making even a modicum of noise it is more difficult to hear exact words and phrases from the other side of the field. I'm pretty sure that people sitting behind the visitor's bench could hear the "Cheer Up Eric Reid" chant.

9. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ah yes, my mistake. so many virtual friends, its weird trying to see them and remember who's who in real life. :)

10. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Do any of you actually watch the game, or just drink?

11. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There is some differences. In the past, we didn't even get in their third of the field, so we never were a threat. Nowadays, we are getting into their third, but we just don't have the finishing.

I think this is where height hurts us, and where Jeff Cosgriff becomes an important part of the team. Recently, we have forced more headers. But since we don't have anyone with real height, we have to kick low crosses and hope that someone can kick the ball in.

That is why I think it was a big mistake to try and not secure Kante, as he would be a huge threat off corners.

12. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

from what I understand from talking to both Kante and others within the organization, Kante wanted out. No one doubts that he had ability, but if he didn't want to be here then there's not much you can do about that.

13. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but then again, I like to drink at the games so I probably don't know anything and couldn't possibly be watching what's happening on the field. So feel free to disregard my opinions. There is only one way to be a fan.

14. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    what's that supposed to mean? are you implying that fans who drink at sporting events (pretty much, oh, I'd say 75% of fans 21+) aren't "watching" the game and are somehow less "soccer-ier" than thou? Or do you think drinking is like sneezing, you can only do it with your eyes closed? Or are you simply one of the Prohibitionist-beer patrol Blackshirt employed by the club?

I see no reason for some bullshit snide remark about other people's habits. Plenty of people drink and watch the game, and manage to yell a little bit too (and if some people get distracted by cheering, etc., I say let 'em...we're watching second division American soccer, for ********'s sake. We're there to support the idea of soccer in St.Louis as much as we are to watch the game).

Perhaps you too, will one day be able to enjoy yourself a bit while doing some multi-tasking. Maybe you can start by walking, chewing gum, and not being a douchebag all at the same time.

15. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    p.s. I'd also like to say that I find your general attitude towards alcohol to be prudish, Victorian, and hopelessly depressing. Certainly, alcohol addles the brain when taken in copious amounts, but it can also heighten certain emotions, such as happiness, gregariousness, and fraternal feelings toward fellow supporters, but doubtless you shun joy, drawing the curtains should the suns rays dare shine into your fortress of solitude built upon that rock of good football, Ligue 1.

16. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No, my point is that people rarely talk about the actual play of soccer on here. That is where everything comes from. Trust me, count the posts on here. I bet that an overwhelming majority of the posts on AC St. Louis has to do with drinking before, during or after the game instead of the actual play on the pitch.

I do enjoy myself at games.

Ok, and since you know me better than I do, what is my "general opinion on alcohol? By me asking if you actually watched the game, you formulate some opinion that I have some kind of Matthewsian viewpoint that I support prohibition? Interesting.

Oh, and...Bordeaux...Lyon...Champions League quarters. Something no other league could boast.

17. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Dave, c'mon. That comment has only one purpose and that's to stir up bullshit amongst supporters of the same team and there's zero good that could possibly come from it.

Bottom line here is that while we come off far more abrasive with a softer stadium, we aren't doing ourselves ANY favors a lot of the time either.

We've talked about screaming and cussing and all that jazz already. I do it myself. Big deal. Don't sit by it. But yeah, sound does travel, and I felt like I was in high school with a lot of cussing being done for cussing sake. The whole night felt off and really lame.

The smoke bombs being posted on the advertisement walls? Behind a clearly marked area? Seriously. You've gotta be plain stupid to think that wasn't gonna be met with a resounding "the hell are you morons doing?" from the staff.

Sprinting down the aisle is fine with a flag, but smokebombs? People don't sit by us for a reason and now you're terrorizing their area.

So, I'm with Brad here and agree we've been used for club gain but they have eased off of us from the beginning. Smuggled drink nazi's aside, what we did and what we've been doing the last 3 games has brought this down on us...or should I say however many dipshits out there brought it down on us.

We made the bed. We lay in it.

18. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Kyle, I do think there is something here. I feel there is a fine line here between real "soccer fans" and people who use soccer as an excuse to drink. While I have no problem whatsoever with drinking during the game, there are some people that I wonder if that is ALL they do.

This forte into St. Louis soccer has given me some perspectives. Kyle, you for example, actually know stuff about soccer. You support West Ham (and I hope you don't get Loic Remy lol) and am sure you could tell me about the team. And I am sure there are a lot of other people out there that know as much about the world of soccer as some of us do.

A fine line is crossed when someone doesn't have any knowledge whatsoever on soccer and just look to attend games so they drink with their friends and not enjoy the beautiful game on the pitch. We have had to deal with those issues on our website as well.

So what do we want? Educated soccer fans that can talk about the game in detail, or a bunch of drunks who can't even name you 2/3rds of the players on our own team? That is my beef.

Again, there are way more posts about drinking on here than there is about actual play on the pitch. Yes, support your team, but it might be a good idea if people knew at least a little about the team as well.

19. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Still, my bigger beef was when I started hearing racial slurs from a bunch of drunks behind me at the Vancouver game (don't worry, not in Section 20). And, to me, there is NO ROOM for that in this sport. NONE WHATSOEVER.

That is why I really have an issue with people that just use soccer as a "drinking event".

20. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Simple. we want both kinds of fans. Just because someone doesn't know anything about soccer now doesn't mean they can't learn to enjoy it. You see, we actually talk about the game over in the corner as well. People who don't know much about soccer will ask us questions about "what just happened?" and there is always someone there to help.

Call us a bunch of drunks if you wish, but you're missing the bigger picture.

21. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree. Our section has developed a rather strange vibe.

22. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of the discussion of the alcohol, etc., is because we're all realistic enough to know that this is an expansion team, and discussion of the on-field product can get depressing. The lack of a player up front who can finish, for example, doesn't help (and you're right about lack of height being one of the factors).

It's also because, with a new team, the fans are still learning what to expect at the venue, and the team is still figuring out their policies. More established teams don't have to have that discussion every season.

Since we're mostly resigned to a mediocre team this season, people focus on the atmosphere. If a new fan came to the park, a boisterous atmosphere is more likely to bring them back at this point than the team's level of play.

(My normal Saturday: one beer and Growler's beforehand and that's it. I'm there to watch the game, but I hang out with a lot of people who drink far more than I do. As long as people don't do anything stupid, to each his own.)

23. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, Joe you beat me to it. I was going to post pretty much the same thing. And I can see where Dave would think that there are a bunch of drinkers who just come to the game to drink based on our posts, and the way a handful act at the game. But actually sitting in Sec 20, every game I stand next to someone different and all eyes are on the game, making comments about the play, getting into what's happening at that moment on the pitch and yes, drinking and having fun.

24. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ah, now that is a straight answer. Thank you Seph.

25. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And that is a straight forward answer that I respect as well.

I guess I was wondering is if that was "ALL" that people talk about. I just see a lack of talk about the actual play or players on the team (unless it is about the being signed or released). I would just like to see some more talk about the players, their styles, etc.