Match #11 vs Vancouver Whitecaps p/i/p

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by time4wine, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Ok, I know they fired Anelka and did the smart thing and hire a quality St. Louis area guy to coach the team....but did they also fired their staff?

Only 2,432 in attendance. What's the excuse this time? Too hot? Everyone too drunk from the US-Ghana game? All soccer fans came to KC for the Cards-Royals series? Or maybe many were part of the more than 12,000 fans than were at the Watch Party in KC on Saturday for the US-Ghana game at the KC Power & Light District in downtown.

They had a full month to sell this game and really dropped the ball this time. No excuses.

The team turns in a great performance and just a handful of fans were there to witness it.

Regardless, CONGRATS to Coach Dale Schilly on his first point in his first game.

2. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't be that surprised. They haven't done a thing to promote the team for the past month, but there have been stirrings since the news on Cooper came out. I'm hoping that this ramps up in the next few days and weeks.

3. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude. I know the genius of Clerks. I worked retail for 10 years.

That doesn't make it better than the sequel though.

4. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. dmelsh

dmelsh New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Lawrence / St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boom! Roasted! haha

Good to see you alive battra! You were in rare form last night! How you feeling today?

6. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then don't sit by us and don't bring your kids over there. There's a whole god damn stadium to choose from. We've got one corner and we are the ones doing all the work to create an atmosphere for the club. We do everything we can to get people to the games and we want to have some beers and party at the games. Ask the players if they like the supporter's section.

You're embarrassed by it? I don't care.

Last night may have been a little over the top with so many of us drunk and upset with the USA loss earlier in the day, but seriously get a life. Go sit in the Black Hole at a Raider's game in Oakland and then whine about language to them.

7. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area
    You obviously are only supportive of your own interests. If you really are a fan of the team you'd want butts to be in the seats and unfortunately if a game ever does get pretty crowded people will have the choice to hold their seats next to someone who is cussing up a storm if they want to stay, or they'll have to leave. At some point moving seats won't be an option and most people would just rather not show up than to have to sit by you and listen to you make a complete idiot of yourself. Seriously...cussing and calling opposing players "retards" isn't being a good fan, it's being a moron.

If you even try to argue that what you're doing is "Okay" then you're essentially admitting your immature fun is more important than your team staying alive, which makes you the worst fan EVER. There were probably 600 kids in attendance last night and if you keep acting like that the crowd will be cut drastically, there will be no ball boys/girls and the team will be hurting even worse.

If the atmosphere you're looking to create is foul mouthed and uninhabited, you're doing a great job working your way toward it.

Have some class. Seriously.

8. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Brad is the worst fan ever.

Shame on him for being a season ticket holder, bringing a group of guys to the games with him and doing what we all do to support the club and promote it.

You? You make the genius move of sitting right next to the ONE big group of people who aren't sitting on their hands like fairweather fans and we're the ones who are "wrong" for using a few dirty words.

The stadium seats almost 6,000 people yet you sit next to the only group of people doing what we do. I don't know if you're just looking for an argument or you're actually that stupid.

Now the throwing shit on the field deal I absolutely agree with you on. See the fat guy run out there to get it off the field? Yeah, that was me, and one asshole doesn't define everyone, but if you think saying "f*ck" makes us the worst fans ever then I suggest taking the kiddos to the Lions or some other little league game.

And Brian, eat a bag of dicks. You'd get on your knees and unzip Cooper's fly with your teeth if he gave you a job so kindly f*ck off back to KC, troll.

9. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area
    It's a first impression thing. If the team has been around and is a fixture in the pro sports scene in St. Louis then you'd be able to do whatever the hell you want and it wouldn't make a difference because fans would keep coming back. However, the team is new and needs an additional lifeline that some consistent fans could provide, but it's hard to stay afloat if a group of people walk away and start chirping that the environment isn't kid friendly. That's all I'm saying. It's not a good move to be cussing up a storm when the team is in financial limbo and needs kids and their parents to come to games.

If it was an 18 and over crowd ONLY I wouldn't care, but when I hear people say "That's so rude. We're never coming back.", which I did hear out of one family of six last night, then I worry about the club being able to exist. If you're enough of a fan to buy season tickets, why would you want to behave in a way that scares people off and puts the team in jeopardy? I guess I don't get it. Having fun is one thing, but at the expense of other people just doesn't seem right.

I already beat this point in to the ground and don't expect you guys to agree with me, just consider the result it may have.

10. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006

11. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you keep making your point but you continue to fail in hearing anyone elses. We don't travel the stadium acting like idiots. We sit in our one corner of the entire stadium. We aren't spread out. The team loves us being there. The staff loves the energy we bring and the players love it.

So, CHOOSING to sit that close to us and having a beef because we aren't clapping like it's god damn tennis match and yelling "AW PHOOEY! YOU GUYS ARE DOODIE HEADS!" isn't our problem.

YOU can still come to a game and sit ANYWHERE.

You can enjoy the bleachers. You can enjoy the corner. You can enjoy sitting VIP style. ANYWHERE IN THE PARK is good for avoiding the supporters groups, so I'm sorry, I will not waste time listening to the gripes of "fans" who are dumb enough to sit by us.

It's like goint to a concert and being shocked and appalled by all the bumping and shoving going on in the mosh pit. It's a giant venue. Sit your ass ANYWHERE ELSE BUT THE MOSH PIT.

I don't know how clear we can make this or why we continue to have this debate with 1 or 2 people after every game.

Ask the team to fence off our area with razor wire and warning signs. Apparently people are too stupid to figure out the smart place to sit.

"Hey Sally, where should we take the kids? Let's see here...There's room over there. These seats are in the shade and by all of these other quiet folks enjoying their day. Hmmm...oh look! Let's go sit over there! Right next to the boys with the bullhorns, drums, flags, smokebombs, fireworks and soaking in alcohol. No way this could go wrong!".

12. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here's the thing. You can say I'm the worst fan and that's fine. I was drunk and obnoxious, guilty. But I also spent time at the game talking to one of the potential investors and he specifically sought us out to see what the supporter's section is all about. I introduced him to all the different groups there and he loved what was going on in the corner. I also spent time with the Marketing Director of the club and discussed ways that we can help him. I talked to a ton of people and my antics do, in fact, encourage others to make noise, sing, and chant. I did some work with Steve and a few others to get people out to the game with the help of AC STL. I personally got 20 people to that game that weren't planning on going. Some of those people were with kids (and I told them where not to sit). I am one person and I did all that for this team at that game. And I'm not the only one. Kyle, Steve, Battra and pretty much all the people on this forum do the same.

Bitch about us if you want, but if it wasn't for us and the work we do no one would even give a shit about AC STL. So you can sit wherever you want and you can talk about what idiots we all are. Sure some people will not be happy with the atmosphere, but are they really fans that would come back every week and support the team, or are they just looking for an excuse?

13. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006

15. Glavin22

Glavin22 Member

Apr 8, 2007
    St Louis
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for the supporter groups heckling the other teams, and my kid thinks the smoke bombs are the highlights of the game. She can't wait to see what color is next.

That being said, I was sitting in the complete opposite corner of the stadium from the groups and could still hear the guy on the megaphone dropping f bombs. The point is, you can't just get up and move your kids away when a guy brings his own sound system.

Again, don't get me wrong, I think you all do a great job, but the "get up and move" or "don't sit by us" answer isn't always as simple as that.

16. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because unlike Kansas City, St. Louis is home to several bonafide soccer bars where fans watch games throughout the year. We don't need a special venue to watch USMNT games every four years.

17. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    The point is the soccer supporters in KC rallied TOGETHER at 1 spot to support the US team....TOGETHER.

Something else we need to much better in St. Louis is developing our players. We didn't have any players in serious contention to land a roster spot for this World Cup.

In 2006, both Twellman and Ralston were left off the squad. Only Brian McBride, who went to SLU but is from Arlington Heights, IL, was the lone player with St. Louis ties.

Who from St. Louis is in line for 2014? Tim Ream might be it.

Is anybody else coming through the ranks?

18. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Have to agree... Im 22 and i went to a game with a couple friends and the megaphone guy dropping f bombs was inappropriate, theres no need for that kind of stuff, theres plenty of other routes to go...

I havent read the rest of this argument or discussion about the topic but i thought id chime in on that one point b/c we found it quite ridiculous and couldnt believe a grown man thought that would be a good idea

19. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the United Knights and they were slightly over the top for this game. Not much, but just with that and throwing 2 smoke bombs on the field, oh and the almost fight in Sec 19 (not cool).

20. VFL Wolfsburg

VFL Wolfsburg New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    Smoke bombs on the field are uncalled for. Next dumb ass that throws one on the pitch should get jacked in the mouth! Thats Busch League shit!! And I agree, F bombs on a megaphone is uncalled for as well. We can get our point across and still have a GREAT time without the F word. Just think about the young kids. Its not cool.

21. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spoken like a true father-to-be!

Yes the smokebombs on the field was a bad idea (I think it was the same guy both times) and I say keep the Fbombs off the megaphone. But just yelling them, a little harder to contain, especially when the Ref sucks!

22. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...I was drunker than English Mike that night...

I was driving...so I let loose...and when I start drinking now that I've quit smoking, I can tend to imbibe more than I should.

I regret the impressive amounts of booze I put back on Saturday.

23. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...I think the vast majority of us were drunker than usual on Saturday.

I wasn't driving...I was dropped off at the Amsterdam sober...then dropped off at my house drunk...as hell.

My plan was no drinking at the game...then a bottle of chilled bourbon showed up, then bottles of Yuenling were produced....

And cherry bombs...

HELL I'M NOT MADE OF STONE!

I also apparently took way more picutres than I remember taking...lol

24. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize the f-bombs were on the megaphone- that's a bit out of line. Also I think everyone agrees that the smoke bombs on the field are not a good idea.

Again, I say Saturday was a bit of an abberation since most of us started drinking around noon for the USA game and then a lot of us drank more after the loss to medicate the pain. I know I was more drunk than I've ever been at an AC STL game and am sure I was out of line a couple of times- but again that's what the corner is for. Go crazy in the corner- but I agree that the megaphone f-bombs negates the don't sit over there argument. Apologies for my part of the insanity. Next week will be better and less sloppy.

Speaking of next week- we need attendance to improve. That had to be the worst game. The long road trip kind of hurt the momentum- even sections 19 and 20 were not full.

25. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the megaphone f-bombs was me. My fault. I was pissed about the fight about to break out--for the SECOND game in a row--and wanted everyone to sing together.

I get really annoyed with the cussing on the megaphone too, so my apologies for that.

I do get brownie points for making a public spectacle of myself and running onto the pitch to get the smokebomb, right? ;D

But seriously, whoever's throwing shit on the field is getting punched in the dick next time. I can't even put fault at all on the UK as a whole. They've got a lot of great guys, but someone needs to get whoever's doing that shit under control.