Mastroeni on yellow cards...

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GutBomb, Oct 29, 2003.

1. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I wasn't just talking about just his time with the Rapids but his time with the Fusion and Rapids before the World Cup and then after. I just don't remember him being that the type of player that b!tched and moaned and got useless cards when he played in Miami.

Regardless of the numbers, Pablo is going to struggle with his attitude and mouth where ever he goes. There are bad refs in European leagues as well as here. You think refs are going to give an American players the benefit of the doubt? Well, if you do I have a bridge for sale cheap.

Bottom line is that Pablo just needs to play soccer and quit getting into it with refs. It doesn't do any good and only makes him look foolish and selfish.

2. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm not saying anyone is wrong or anything but I'd like to see a list of all his cards and what they were for. I'm just not convicined that a majority of them are from "bitching" at refs. I know there are a few but I'm wondering if thats just because they stick out more or came at more inopportune moments.

3. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    I did a crappy job of making my point.

"Pablo is too good for MLS." There is no question he is technically gifted. His talent being that great, how come he can't keep his head in the game? My point being, keep your mouth shut and play the game. Don't let a subpar ref take you out of your game. Nobody else in the league seems to have a problem with it.

"Players in Europe." They are bigger and faster. They are the cream of the crop, not the castoffs from other sports. This is changing, this is changing in a big way. The point to this statement was, if Pablo slides 20 times like he is apt to do, he is going to be chasing the play a lot of times. This is something that he would have to work on. I don't think Europe is definately a lock for him. Maybe scouts do. I don't know what kinds of offers are out there for him. But he certainly doesn't make his case by riding pine so frequently.

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Now there's a pair of silly statements.

From a fitness standpoint, MLS players are just as big or as fast as players in Europe. Many coaches and players in Europe argue that American born/bred players are in better physical condition, due to more advanced sciences and a culture that better fosters physical activity. With regards to American players, size and speed are very often what allows them to play overseas; look no further than Joey DiGiamarino's time in Germany, where is strength and speed were enough to get him a two year opportunity but his skill wound up dumping him back in MLS.

Today's younger MLS players are hardly "castoffs from other sports." In 1996 one could make a case for this argument, with the likes of Andrew Shue earning himself a contract. Today, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a single MLS player under the age of 25 for whom soccer was never their favorite nor primary sport.

The only real difference between the average players in top European (and South American) leagues and the average players in MLS, is pure talent. For the most part, MLS players simply have not been brought up in an environment that will most develop their technical skills and field awareness; it is this lack of consistent first touch, ability to make the best decision and competence to deliver that decision which will remain the final barrier among our average players for many years to come.

5. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    well said greenie and the gap is closing every year

6. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    size - advantage goes to big leagues but getting closer
    speed - equal
    technical skills - big leagues are way ahead. Just watch the fluidity of an EPL game. No question. This is the gap that is by far the most important. Our very young players are closing it quickly.

Man did this thread take a tangent...

7. Blarney

Blarney New Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, CO

Are you new? I've been reading these threads for a year or so now, seriously what thread here hasn't gone off on a tangent? (which is no different from any other tangent on bigsoccer)...

yadda yadda yadda but Go Rapids!