Massimiliano Allegri next Manager for Italy? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I am curious on all of your thoughts about the possibility of maybe hiring Max Allegri as our next manager? I am 99% sure that Juventus will sack him at the end of the season. I feel like with the players we have right now at the national team, that Max Allegri could do really well. Allegri is a midfield based manager and that is by far our strongest area. We also have a good defense as well but our weak point is just a striker and too many of our attacking players are just not tactically flexible.

The main reason why Allegri is failing at Juventus this season is because Juventus have no midfield. Locatelli is the only really good midfielder. Arthur and McKennie are inconsistent and definitely not world class by any means. Our best season at Juventus was 2014-15 when we had the best midfield in the world, and til this day, I am still convinced we would've won the Champions League if we were not denied a clear penalty with Alves completely fouling Pogba in the box.

Looking back at Juventus 2014-15 and our national team these days, I feel like we do have some identical players.

I am not sure how much longer Chiellini will last, so we probably shouldn't count on him (Maybe 2 years if we are lucky). Bonucci probably has a good 2-4 more years, and we've got Bastoni, Acerbi, and Romagnoli as center backs. All great. Once Spinazzola gets back, he will be very key for us. We've got Di Lorenzo and Calabria as well. Florenzi maybe but he is aging and probably shouldn't be a starter.

In Midfield we've got Jorginho, Verratti, Locatelli, Barella, and Zaniolo, plus a number of others that we could use as subs. Those are clearly our 5 best. We really could get a lot out of that midfield if used properly. One thing I am not so sure about is playing both Jorginho and Verratti. I don't think our style of play right now is the best, and if we play more physical and high pressing, we might do better with just one playmaker and more box-to-box midfielders.

In attack, if Insigne goes to Toronto, he can kiss his national team hopes goodbye. Honestly I feel like Insigne can be world class on his day but he really isn't flexible tactically and is not a player that can adapt easily. Chiesa is our real hope for world class attack because he has pace, technique, and finishing. I think it is clearly time to forget Immobile as he has simply proven that he cannot be a striker for us. I fancy playing either Berardi or Bernardeschi as a false striker in the future. Any thoughts? I also wonder how Raspadori will do in the future, and he is definitely someone to consider as well.

Anyways, if we can get Allegri, I can see his playstyle and a few formations that he might use work really well for us:

3-5-2:
    -Berardi-Chiesa-
    -Spinazzola-Locatelli-Jorginho-Barella-Di Lorenzo-
    -Romagnoli-Bonucci-Bastoni-
    -Donnarumma-

4-3-1-2:
    -Berardi-Chiesa-
    -Zaniolo-
    -Verratti-Jorginho-Barella-
    -Spinazzola-Bonucci-Bastoni-Di Lorenzo-
    -Donnarumma-
    It reminds me so much of Juventus 2014-15 because I feel like Chiesa is kind of a little like Tevez in terms of pace and technique, and then if we have Berardi be like our striker to tap in like Morata at Juve, this could work so well.

I feel like our main issue with Mancini is that he plays to much tiki taka and we just are not physical. We are controlling too high up the pitch and we just do not have the players in attack in order for this to work properly. If we are going to play tiki taka, we need to have a solid front 3 that is world class, which I am afraid we do not. Almost all teams I remember being very successful with tiki taka had a world class front 3 and definitely a world class striker. Honestly, I must admit that we were a little lucky to win Euro 2020 in the knockouts. Once we were done with the group stage, we didn't look super convincing except for the Belgium game. Spain really dominated possession and we didn't have many answers. England defended really well and even in the second half when we were the better side, we still struggled to score and you gotta admit that the goal we scored in the final was a little bit of a mess up and disorganization in the box.

Any thoughts?

2. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    what would we have done to deserve this? We miss two world cups in a row and then Allegri takes over. God no.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  4. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

5. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Juventus is not going to sack Allegri

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    What's wrong with Allegri? He is not doing well at Juventus because he just doesn't have the players to fit his style and philosophy.

8. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What’s his style and philosophy?

If Italy was producing talents on the level of France yeah sure it wouldn’t be a terrible appointment. But Italy doesn’t have the single individual talents (neither does Juve) for him to be effective.

Also his personal philosophy is antique. Caution over courage. “Trying not to lose” above above all else. No thanks

9. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    He's an old guard. He relies on the oldest and slowest players on his roster.

10. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy relies way too much on old players at the expense of not giving the youth the minutes they need. Why sub for a 38 year old Chiellini?

r0adrunner repped this.
  11. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Just read my original post for his style and philosophy.

Honestly, our individual talent I would say is actually on par with France. France has a much better attack, but the midfield is comparable, in fact I'd say we have the edge in depth. Defense I would say we are probably better or comparable with France if you count out Chiellini and Bonucci with them aging.

The only place that France is clearly superior to us individually is in attack. Tell me another world class midfielder that France has besides Kante and Pogba? And besides Varane, who else is really world class on French defense? Maybe Mendy?

Honestly, the only place where France has that many special players is in attack: Mbappe, Griezmann, Benzema, Grioud, and a few others, although I do think Mbappe is a little overrated. Still world class though.

Italy does have many individual talents: Bonucci, Bastoni, Spinazzola, Di Lorenzo, Jorginho, Verratti, Barella, Zaniolo, Locatelli, Chiesa. All these players are world class except maybe Di Lorenzo and Bastoni, but Bastoni is still young.

12. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would agree with your world class description of those players except, as you say, for Di Lorenzo who is however certainly a good international quality player.

Allegri would be among the last choices I would make to succeed Mancini.

13. Indian_Gladiator

Sep 4, 2014
    Kolkata
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    De Zerbi

r0adrunner repped this.
  14. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You don't understand Allegri and you're vastly overrating Italy. This isn't about comparing Italy and France. Allegri has no style. Any success he had at Milan and Juve was because he had the horses. 11 behind the ball and then relying on the singles to score goals. Italy has been successful in recent years because Mancini created a style of play that was positive. Unfortunately it ran out of steam and he persisted nonetheless.

15. gummy-bear83

gummy-bear83 Member

May 24, 2010
    Piombino, Tuscany.
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As a Juventus fan, no please. I'm sick and tired of "corto muso".

16. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    No, I don’t think so. Allegri does have style but it’s just flexible, and he often lets the players play. You don’t want too many tactics because it just restricts the players too much. He definitely has a game plan.

17. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I’m a Juventus fan too, and I have to say that Allegri is not really our problem. Every coach is different in terms of having a different philosophy and style. Each coach needs the strength and players in different areas for their philosophy and tactics to work.

Allegri is very midfield based, and right now we don’t have a world class midfield which is why we’re failing. Locatelli is our only world class midfielder. Arthur is inconsistent. McKennie is overrated and also inconsistent. Rabiot has been a flop. We can’t be successful under Allegri if we only have one world class midfielder and the rest are mediocre at best.

18. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    At Juventus, in order to be successful with the players we have, we probably need a manager like Pep Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp.

19. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Lol

r0adrunner, johnny6 and indestructible repped this.
  20. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    upload_2022-3-29_13-5-39.jpeg

also... in case were keeping track. my vote is still NO to allegri.

21. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is Bonaventura Allegri's son?

Rossonero23 repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure if Allegri wants the job.

23. Matt E6

Matt E6 Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Apr 5, 2022
    What will Allegri do that Mancini can't? Nothing.

24. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Candidates should be Ancelotti, Gasperini, De Zerbi, Pirlo, and Carmine Nunziata.

Why would anyone want Allegri? Slow style of play, relies on oldest players on his squad, his teams can typically only score one goal at most, and has proven to ruin young Italian players confidence (Chiesa, Locatelli, Kean, Luca Pellegrini). terrible choice.

25. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just read the other day that Allegri wants to send Luca Pellegrini out on loan again because he feels he's not ready yet. This is a 23 year old.