Massey NCAA D-1 Soccer Ratings.

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by soccertom, Oct 10, 2006.

1. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Here is a link to the latest Massey NCAA D-1 Soccer Ratings including all games through October the 8th.

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=csoc

The Top 20,

1 SMU
    2 Maryland
    3 West Virginia
    4 Virginia
    5 Wake Forest
    6 UCLA
    7 Brown
    8 California
    9 Duke
    10 San Fransisco
    11 Clemson
    12 Lehigh
    13 Old Dominion
    14 Illinois Chicago
    15 Santa Clara
    16 Saint Louis
    17 George Mason
    18 Indiana
    19 Connecticut
    20 North Carolina

I like all of the information provided with these ratings. The Massey Ratings shows W-L-T, gives an Overall Rating, shows a Power Rating, Offensive Rating, Defensive Rating and Strength of Schedule Rating. It also shows the changes up or down the table for each team. As an example Stanford made a giant leap in the Ratings climbing 43 spots from # 85 to # 43. Sweet!

2. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    It is nice to see a "poll" were Indiana and North Carolina are actually were they should be.

3. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    The only problem with this methodology is that the standard deviation of (+/-)1.0 for the final rating(s) is absolutely huge, by comparison to those for soccerratings.com (which are actually given for each team, as +/- SE). It's sort of like saying the planet Earth is located somewhere between Saturn and Mercury, versus saying it can be found between Venus and Mars.

Since the explanation of weighting factors is actually based on large scoring differentials (like football and basketball), the method apparently isn't sensitive enough to deal with the low score differentials of the type you see in soccer, which is why the uncertainities are so large. In actuality, any of their top 30 or so teams could be #1, while that uncertainity is reduced to about the top 10 teams in soccerratings.com.

So, unlike soccertom, I don't like these ratings since there's far too much uncertainity built into the outcome for a low scoring sport like soccer.

4. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Huh? My head hurts after reading that.

I suspect that both Rating services have very similar results although I haven't checked as of yet. All I know is Massey appears to keep their ratings much more up to date and curent and presents their data in an easy to read format with much more information than Albion...

5. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    When soccerratings.com gets around to updating their ratings it will be interesting to compare. Another thing I don't like about Albion is the weighting from the previous years results.

6. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    But it doesn't mean much if the probability is that UConn could just as easily be #1 as #19, which is a pretty broad level of uncertainity. You could reverse the order starting with UNC as #1 and ending with SMU as #20, and it would still be descriptive of those team's relative performance. It's much tighter with Jones' system (soccerratings.com).

Don't get caught up in the cosmetics or the ranking. Even Jones is quick to point out that the actual ranking is unimportant. It's the power rating with the standard deviation that describes a team's relative strength to another.

As for your head, Advil works pretty well to reduce the swelling caused by a liberal arts education.

7. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    :D Good one.

8. SWIMMER

SWIMMER New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    I just saw on the ncaa sports page that they have the D-I RPI ratings up. How does this play into the actual tournament selection.

9. UpperV

UpperV New Member

May 11, 2004
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure, but does UVA play anywhere but at HOME!!! Thanks for pointing out the RPI...looks like San Fran has the best road record of the top 50. How does the home vs road play out come selection time?

10. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    It's the one they use.

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Somebody needs to tell Massey that UC-Davis is a full-fledged Division I independent this year-- they should not be ranked among the Division II teams.

12. nikolo

nikolo New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Love UCLA, best coaches