Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Toon³, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Under a week till it's released and I can't wait. I just hope my faith in Bioware to live up to the hype isn't misplaced.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZK9vrBNRys"]YouTube- Mass Effect 2 Launch Trailer .mov[/ame]

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Dude, this game will be epic!

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Question: will you use your save games from the first game to continue the story arc you start there or will you all start from scratch? I'm still not sure. I think I'll play through once based on my ME1 save game and then play through it a second time with a completely new character.

4. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I've got 3 completed saves with various different endings and choices I made through out the game so I think I'll play using a couple of those saves but I'll also probably play with a new character since some classes like Adept and Engineer look a lot more fun than they did in ME1.

5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so bummed out I didn't keep my saved character. I heard a few of the things that would have been different based on your decisions and totally wanted to experience them. Either way really looking forward to this game.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I saved a back-up of them on my external HD the moment I heard that they planned on using them for the sequel! :)

7. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll be able to change your class if you bring in a saved character, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm curious what it will be like if you start the game with a new character. Does the game ask you questions on what happened in the first edition? Completely random?

Remember, this is just the second game in a planned trilogy, so be sure to keep your save from this game as well....if Shepard survies, of course.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The characters that died in the first game are definitely not coming back if you start from an existing save, right?

9. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I knew you could like change the sex and look but not your class.

I've heard that when you start a new character it does like an evaluation of you and asks you questions in relation to the first game.

Another bonus of using a saved game is that if you have completed the UNC: Valuable Minerals mission you get a starting boost for the research you can carry out on the new Normandy.

10. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, they're gone. The biggest decisions seem to be what you decided in Virmire, and the council at the end. There are other lesser plot points (Conrad Verner!) that will pop up in the game as well, but those two seem to be the biggest.

The game will also remember who (if anyone) you took to bed as well. Bioware has said they're going to track the % of players who "cheat" on their partners from the first game. Should be an interesting statistic.

11. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'm really looking forward to see what the Rachnai are up to if you decided to release the queen.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    How much will the lack of a certain character matter in the gameplay I wonder?

13. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Think they'll be friend or foe?

Now we're probably getting close to spoiler territory, but I'm pretty sure any character that could have died in your party in the first Mass Effect is not in your party in Mass Effect 2. I imagine if they're alive you'll come across them and they'll contribute to the story, but that's it.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
  15. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The first 30 minutes is up on Youtube... I'm so very tempted :(

16. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About a month ago IGN had a written spoiler of the first 30 minutes of the game. I'm horrible with stuff like this. I always want to read it. But I've been very good so far. Just a few more days to go. I'm pretty sure I have a basic idea of what's going to happen from all of the previews and videos I've seen, but still. I'd like to be surprised a little.

17. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's pretty obvious you will have to recruit your squad members but what happens after that I don't really know.

http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_xfss_me2/

20 minutes of live gameplay by a Bioware producer at 12pm PST (so like an hour)

18. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did see there will be DLC on the first day. Additional character for your party as well. It looks like they're doing the same thing they did with Dragon Age. If you bought the game new, there will be a code that you can use to get the DLC free. If you buy the game used, and the code in the manual was already used, you'll have to pay to get the DLC. Interesting system for game companies to get some cash from used sales. Wouldn't be surprised to see it a lot more in the future.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Odd system imho...

Does this mean that the code for the DLC will only be usable once? What if I reinstall the game on a new computer?

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I assume the code allows you to register so if you reinstall you'll just have to log in.

It's a pretty smart move to counter piracy and get people to either pre-order or purchase it on release day.

21. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think as long as you buy the game new, whenever you buy it, you're good. I can see something like this becoming more prevalent in the future. Make you're game, put 10% of it as DLC, and let purchasers of the game get it for free. Buy it used, or rent it from Blockbuster...you're going to have to pay an extra 5 bucks to get it.

IGN has their review up. They gave it a 9.6.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Does anyone know if you're suppose to install ME1 to import the save games? I just have the save games on an external HD, but the game itself is no longer installed.

23. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You just need the save game files.

http://www.annakie.com/me/import.htm

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Thanks for that!

Would've sucked if I had to reinstall the entire thing just to import the save game.

25. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The main site in that link also has a variety of save games available for those who don't have their save games anymore.

I didn't play ME1 (shockingly enough), but I plan on picking this up for PC tomorrow. I'll do a fresh run on my first play through, and if I enjoy the game, go back and try it out with one of those various save games.