MASL News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Some guys have all the luck.

SteveCo repped this.
  2. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, let's not start this. Just... no.

3. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What has Dallas done this year to build its team ?.

4. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very little

5. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not seen Alan Post anything but they went back to the old logo and colors

6. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    There's a definite pipeline of Detroit to Milwaukee, and Milwaukee to Cedar Rapids. The Rampage have signed Greenfield and Da Silva from the Wave.

7. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    They stayed in business for one..........

That arena, the Allen Events Center, is a real arena with real costs. I've been worried about the Sidekicks for awhile.

SteveCo repped this.
  8. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure the rent is not cheap in that place, I would guess 12K to 15K a game

9. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Which means the Rent is anywhere from $1 per game to 1 Million Dollars !

10. WisStateChampion

Oct 26, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greenfield actually started out in Milwaukee, he signed with the team in the 2004-2005 season, then Detroit picked him up in the expansion draft. After 2 seasons in Detroit, he went to Baltimore, then back to Milwaukee.

11. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    But they have new owners, a new coach, a new logo (well...an old new logo), and a new slogan: “back to greatness!”. Fire up the DeLorean doc, we’re going back to 1984.

Mercy mercy me!

SteveCo repped this.
  12. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That's about right. If they fill the place it can less out of pocket. This arena has no paid parking (it's in a shopping mall) so all revenue is either within the building or getting in the building

That adds to the cost

cardshopmd and SteveCo repped this.
  13. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sidekicks have had multiple tryouts this summer. Kiley Couch and Jamie Lovegrove have been training with the team, and if they both play, that will be a huge boost, with most of last year's team returning. The coach appears to have figured out that bunker ball does not work indoors, but the most noticeable difference is off the field. Since they're not having to jump in at the last moment, they have been vigorously getting the word out, and it showed at last month's season ticket holder event at FieldhouseUSA (Frisco) - turnout was huge compared to last year. Oh, and remember that Allen Americans team shop in the northwest corner of the Allen Event Center? Well, it has a bit of a different look this year...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

firesting81, Scooge, Joey Tee and 2 others repped this.
  14. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  15. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That is fantastic news about the store. The last Sidekicks game I went too, they had a long table and the store was closed.

Should I assume the Americans and Sidekicks are sharing the store? That will only add to merchandise sales.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Syracuse newspaper story on the coaching switch:

The Major Arena Soccer League, everybody!

SteveCo repped this.
  17. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Smart move. Maybe the new owners know what they are doing on the revenue front. It only helps that they are Under Armor, the current sports brand of choice among the suburban upper-middle class.

SteveCo repped this.
  18. (They call him) RMc

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    The animated and emotional Tanner will be a nearby resource. He will actually coach the Silver Knights in their opener because O'Quinn will be out of town on business.

Well, it's good to have the next gig lined up before losing the current one, yes?

SteveCo repped this.
  19. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the Ambush players have other jobs during the season. Even the head coach, Tony Glavin, also owns a PDL soccer team (Saint Louis Lions) with an academy. Obviously our players & coaches run the ubiquitous soccer camps. There are few, if any, people making a full-time living from indoor soccer anymore.

Some guys can make decent money with camps and coaching youth teams but that is not directly from playing indoor soccer. If nothing else, being on a well managed team gives a player a 'promotion platform' to sell their soccer skills/camps to kids and parents. The Ambush sponsored several soccer camps last year that were sellouts. Will the new management of the MASL bring better stability to the sport long term?

20. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    It appears that Andrew Haines has sold his ownership of the St. Louis Ambush:

Ambush.jpg

SteveCo repped this.
  21. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update! I have not been on my 'non-work' Internet very much today. Other Ambush fans and myself had theorized that the Ambush would be sold at some point, especially after the Haines family started the Florida team (Andrew's daughter is attending college in Florida too). Clark has been part owner for a while & Glavin is a well-established soccer legend in St. Louis. Perez is a chiropractor. I am relieved that the team is in good hands and continues to exist. We went 7 years with no team at all (2006 to 2013).

The MASL should cultivate owners like this for any new teams. Hopefully they learned their lessons from the Seattle Impact and Oxford City owner failures.

22. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  23. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Comets should not skip a beat after promoting an Assistant Coach to Head Coach. Assadpour moves to player and assistant, likely little change to what he was already doing. Not to say that the coach doesn't matter, for this experienced squad. Kradzov has to manage the roster, run practice, keep everyone focused, etc. The owners saw the advantages of keeping the same system, which is pretty much on cruise control against most teams. There is a wide gap between the Comets and the rest of the Central division . I always like to see promotion from within the team when feasible. Great move.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Career record as an owner in this sport: 18-62.

SteveCo repped this.
  25. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    You can look at that record and say "yuck"... or you can look at it and realize thats 80 games played, a team sold to solid owners, and a new team that looks strong on the way. Andrew has done a great job of building solid franchises, and really reinvigorated the St Louis indoor soccer scene. Hopefully he has continued success in Lakeland.

SteveCo repped this.