MASL News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Sep 1, 2016.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Helps to have relationships with a restaurant, a rental van place and a hotel.

SteveCo repped this.
  2. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what players have told me.

3. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    And one of CR's owners is the Microtel owner, which has vans for shuttle service.

Sounds like a good setup.

SteveCo repped this.
  4. Headhunter21

Headhunter21 Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so based on what a few players told you, this is what "most teams" in the league are doing. Okay. Got it.

SteveCo and Mkewavefan10 repped this.
  5. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    To be fair to cardshopmd, that is how most minor league teams do it in hockey. Per Diem, breakfast at hotel and a team dunner

cardshopmd repped this.
  6. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have spoken to players from other teams as well . Just not the Baltimore guys

7. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not my fault that teams want to operate on a shoestring budget and not take care of there players. You expect that to play and you pay them next to nothing , In return you could at least feed them. Most of the guys don't even pay for drinks after the game since most fans are willing to buy them one.

8. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next year for the Blast Fan club we have discussed and Idea of "Adopting a Player for one season " Whoever Adopts the player would take care of getting him snacks for road games. Helping them with whatever his needs maybe for the season. Maybe take them to dinner or something during the season just to let them know they are appreciated. The Fan club will be revamped next year and a lot of new changes will be made to help bring the fan club back to what it once was.

9. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Card - You are freaking kidding right? You mean to tell me that Ed Hale can afford 2 General Managers, 2 Coaches AND 1 Paid (small) Equipment Mgr...... BUT he can't afford snacks for road games? Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't Baltimore one of the only teams that will even fly into a city the night before to get some extra rest and training in?

But Vanzella has to buy his own Combos and Gatorade ?

Okaaaayyyyy then ....

Who are you adopting for next season ?

SteveCo repped this.
  10. Headhunter21

Headhunter21 Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand booster club members or fan club members making cookies or holiday snacks for the team, for after home games. But the Adopt A Player movement is getting a little carried away. If you want food or snacks on a road trip, then do a sponsorship trade with Jimmy John's or Subway. My last few years in Milwaukee, we'd bus a lot to the regional games. We always had a cooler full of sandwiches from one of our sponsors. we didn't have to rely on booster club or fan club members to take care of the players. You make them sound like their impoverished kids off the street. yes, I understand that the pay structure in today's league isn't as great as it used to be. But you've gone overboard on this one Lewis. And especially Baltimore, which probably still has part of the old contract structure in place for their players. I doubt that they are all struggling. A lot of current players have coaching jobs (or part time jobs) on the side. They aren't as poor as you're painting them out to be. PS. LEWIS! Stop stereotyping and generalizing! you make it sound like every team is on a shoestring budget, or every player is struggling and needs road snacks. There are some teams that are doing quite well for themselves this season. I know I know, you "talk to players". So I'm probably way out of line, you know, having coached in the league for 11 seasons....

11. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Marcel Feenstra is back

SteveCo and Headhunter21 repped this.
  12. Headhunter21

Headhunter21 Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    smart move by Andrew Haines to sign him. He'll use Marcel as his insurance plan. Marcel won't be able to travel in on a regular basis, and Florida will continue with Piotr Sliwa in goal, but what a great pick up heading towards the play offs. It was Haines that brought Marcel to St Louis (but it was Glavin that killed the deal when his ownership group took over). So if anything happens to Piotr, they'll have a veteran to put in goal instead of an untested rookie. Florida is looking good going into the second half of the season.

Mkewavefan10 and SteveCo repped this.
  13. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you want to say about Andrew (like those fishy attendance reports) but he has has built a decent team fairly quickly down in Florida. Not saying they will run the table or anything but these new players the Tropics continue to sign are making them competitive more quickly . Signing Feenstra is a shrewd move, even as a 'insurance policy'. I would imagine that the lure of playing in Florida doesn't hurt the Tropics' recruiting efforts.

14. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The blast do provide them with stuff , But it's something nice we can do for our players to make them feel at home.

15. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The adopt a player is just an idea being discussed, I see it this way if the fan clubs want to do these things for the players let them do it. They are the ones raising the money paying for the Xmas party , Awards Banquet. Trophies for the players. and keeping the fans engaged all year long.

16. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feenstra use to kill us in Baltimore, IMHO he is one of the top 5 keepers in the league. Feenstra will not dress until the KC Game according to the Tropics press release

SteveCo repped this.
  17. Headhunter21

Headhunter21 Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The KC game is the first game he will be 'available to dress'. doesn't necessarily mean he will dress. Not the game you really want to put Marcel into since he's never trained with the team and has been away from the game for what could be considered 2 seasons, as he only played 3 games last season in Milwaukee. no matter when Marcel plays though, he will be ready. He's a veteran pro. He had a great goalkeeper coach from day 1 of his indoor career (insert shameless plug here).

18. Mkewavefan10

Mkewavefan10 Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder who that coach was in Milwaukee????? lol

Marcel was always one of my favorite people to watch when he played in goal. Very smart move by Andrew and the Tropic organization. Hope this leads to Marcel playing full time somewhere next year.

SteveCo and Headhunter21 repped this.
  19. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Sliwa is suspended for points accumulation.

SteveCo repped this.
  20. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    What?

Seriously?

Like, really?

The fan club pays for the Christmas Party, the Awards Banquet and Trophies for all the players???

Can you expand on this please. The trophies for every player at the Awards Banquet is understandable. But I've never heard of a team relying on the booster club to put on the team Christmas Party and/or a year end Dinner/Awards Banquet. Are there two separate Christmas Parties and Year End Dinner/Awards?

The year end dinner usually has some hilarious intra-team awards where guys get given awards that have either a thinly veiled meaning or outright attempt to further humiliate a teammate. I went to one where a goalie was given two awards, a "Helping the Homeless Award" and a "Public Safety Award", well the Indianapolis Ice booster club had a couple of ladies who were providing a LOT more than cookies and cakes to the players. This goalie lived for free for two straight years in one of the ladies home, he also had a wife back home. He wouldn't let his wife visit Indianapolis because "Indianapolis wasn't safe". It wasn't safe for him , had his wife visited and found out what was going on. She was actually at this awards dinner and all the players were coming up to him congratulating him on his tireless effort on behalf of the homeless and keeping the streets safe, all in front of his wife.

SteveCo repped this.
  21. Blastnut2

Blastnut2 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    The Christmas Party and Awards Banquet referenced are Fan Club events, not team events. These are events where the fans have dinner with the players and where the players are recognized and appreciated by the members of the fan club. The team has team and family only events that are independent of what events the fan club hosts.

cardshopmd repped this.
  22. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piotr Sliwa has a 1 Game suspension and can not return until January 28, 2017 , If I was the tropics i would put him in the nets vs KC. I agree he will be cold from not playing for a while but he will be fine once he gets on the floor.

SteveCo repped this.
  23. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly dont know if the Blast contributed to these events or not. The fan club has done this for the past 35 years I believe the Xmas party is more for the fans then the players. But each player gets a gift and they also give a gift to the children of each player. The Banquet is a formal dinner just to honor the players. Fan favorite , Rookie of the year , MVP, Offensive player of the year , Defensive player of the year. The blast does its own things as well for the players

24. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    "The future looks bright for the Knights and the MASL. The league is currently sitting at 17 teams, while Toronto has already committed to forming a franchise in 2018."

http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/head-games/

NY Gunner repped this.
  25. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also have the Georga attack , & We just may see a return of the lancers in 2018 I know that Soccer Sam is working on it