MASL Marketing & Social Media

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by jogablakerito, Jan 24, 2022.

1. jogablakerito

jogablakerito New Member

LAFC
    United States
    Oct 9, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently started watching MASL, around the start of 2021, when the Striking Fury podcast started since I know the hosts and was interested in what they are doing. I then ended up shooting some Ontario Fury games for the league that season. I shot a few in season matches and both legs of the final, it was a hell of an experience. Lovely stadium, great action...

... but barely anybody knows the team exists. Their first match of the 2021-22 season reported 1,248 attendance. With 2 home games played this season, they average 1,128 in attendance, and I expect that to stay similar.

One of their main problems with getting attendance, as with the rest of the MASL, is the lack of awareness. The highest average attendance in the league is at Kansas City, with 3,866 averaging from 3 games. That would place them 18th in ranking comparison to the USL Championship.

As the top indoor soccer league in the country, that is low. I honestly do think that teams could get 5,000 +. I mean the MISL averaged 7,644 over the course of 14 seasons. To do this, the league needs to step up their marketing and social media work.

As someone who covers an MLS team on social media, I like to hold myself to a professional level with really nice graphics and engaging stuff. I don't see that from most teams in the league on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, and I want to see it.

One thing that they have done well this season is getting games back on YouTube. The pay per game system last year on Facebook did not work, and they need to focus on getting people into the game, not the hardcore fans who will watch every game if they want to expand.

I do think the draft will be a positive for them as well.

Teams individually also need to step up their marketing. Social media's across the MASL is poor, and needs work. Start sharing goal clips, and exciting videos and photos of games. Link people directly to game streams that are easily accessibly and fast paced, something American sports fans love.

And I hope they change the word mark logo while we are at it.

I'd love to hear others opinions on this. Thanks for reading.

2. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    the misl died 30 years ago. we have not approached that level of play or that level of interest since. I don't think many indoor teams have averaged 5k in recent years. thinking they should is a bit unrealistic, given the level of capitalization and budgets for sales and marketing.

too many teams seem to think people will show up if they hear about the team, or that the youth market will make it work for them. but the unfortunate fact is there is no widespread interest in this game from any one constituency, and even added together, it doesn't amount to much.

to be fair, it is hard to tell right now given the patchwork of safety protocols around the country. but even pre-pandemic, most indoor teams were not hitting 5k, even sporadically.

there are far more options than there were in 1985, far fewer skilled players because of the rebirth of outdoor soccer (especially at the lower levels), far less money and far fewer people willing to invest in this sport. the masl is half the size it was at launch seven years ago.

it is not realistic to put original misl accomplishments as a benchmark for today.

BlackandRedForever and Joey Tee repped this.
  3. jogablakerito

jogablakerito New Member

LAFC
    United States
    Oct 9, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying. They need to target their marketing work and find the right audience. I do think there will be interest for the sport though if they sell it correctly.

4. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    #4 NSL2004, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    They keep marketing it as a kid-friendly event, which doesn't make parents want to go very often. And then they try to hit the youth soccer market, but those parents are burned out on soccer.

Mainstream sports fans don't like indoor soccer because they think it's soccer and soccer fans don't like it because they think it's NOT soccer.

But mostly, they have no storylines or interesting content. There is very little analysis or insider information. The league press releases leave you with more questions than details. The league has no relevance or vitality and they don't do basic operations very well. Teams have watered down the little culture and individuality the sport had, so it's not even that appealing to die-hard fans anymore.

cardshopmd repped this.
  5. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are 100% correct even in Baltimore a lot of die hard fans have walked away from going to the games. Now I know it was not because of the move since a lot of those people are from the towson arena.

In the 1980's indoor soccer had a huge entertainment value at the games from the light shows to the dancers and player access. Now honestly it has gotten boring and fans have lost interest. Honestly one you lose a die hard fan its almost impossible to get them back.

6. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    been hearing that forever. what constitutes "selling it correctly?" show your work.

BlackandRedForever repped this.
  7. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    you think *that's* why fans have lost interest? not because there are more entertainment options and the best players have outdoor options they didn't have in the 80s and teams have no money for marketing?

really? that's what you think. my god, man.

Buddy98 repped this.
  8. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    It is a whole different experience, though, when you go and 10,000 people are standing and screaming and the lights go off and stuff is blowing up, compared to going with 1,100 people who are sitting and clapping unenthusiastically for a bare bones event.

But to be fair, in the age of irony and false sentiment, people are a lot less likely to show genuine excitement for anything. The last time I went to an NFL game I couldn't believe how many people were just hanging out on the concourse while the game was going on. Other than the NHL playoffs the atmosphere is nowhere near what it was in the '80s anywhere.

9. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What feels right to me is the approach that Utica City FC are taking. Upon the move from Syracuse the team dropped its silly nickname (Silver Knights) and adopted a traditional name. Its crest and uniform are beautiful, and would fit in within any league.

Utica FC logo.png

Utica FC uniform 1.jpg Utica FC uniform 2.jpeg

The Blast and the Wave are amongst the great historic teams of the sport. But that sort of naming belongs strictly to the past, and probably functions nowadays as an obstacle to greater fan interest. Indoor/arena soccer is professional soccer; and the team identities and uniforms should reflect that. Utica City have shown the way on this. The more teams that follow this good example, the better for the sport.

Right. While bringing in young fans is important for all sports, that doesn't mean that the whole thing must be transformed into a kiddie event, as that is likely to turn off more people than it attracts. A competitive sport played at a high level (by a team that looks super-cool) can certainly appeal to kids, as well as to the adults who will be making the decisions to buy tickets and merchandise.

This is a great point. The NLL and the AUDL do a great job at presenting to fans the storylines and the important players in those leagues. The impression that is created is that the games are serious and important events. These leagues demonstrate that a small league and its teams can indeed create content that enhances the league's image, and that makes fans want to know more. The MASL match broadcasts that I see on YouTube are typically very good; so it would be nice to see other programming produced and hosted by the people who bring us that commentary, as they are the people and who know the team and the league intimately, and who also know how to communicate in an entertaining and engaging way.

10. jogablakerito

jogablakerito New Member

LAFC
    United States
    Oct 9, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Market to right people, and do it well. Make the content look better. Make it professional. Make it interesting. Make the league seem like something I would want to be apart of, because right now it does not.

cardshopmd repped this.
  11. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    I was born in 1985, so I don't have firsthand experience of what you say. However, I can say that even in the last decade or so the atmosphere at sporting events has declined in Baltimore. The Ravens have seen attendance decline since the 2012 Super Bowl. The Orioles ineptness has eroded lots of passion in the team. Even if the Orioles do straighten themselves out, pace of play and analytics are killing baseball.

And those who are in seating bowls are on their phones. The ways in which we engage with one another has changed dramatically. Teams are combating that by sports gambling. I know the Ravens will post fantasy stats in their stadium. The problem indoor soccer has is that there is no interest in it, which means fantasy and sports gambling aren't going to cut it.You gotta have the interest fist.

KimZaccha!! and powerplay13 repped this.
  12. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 80's was something special. Going to a MISL game really was a big deal. Yes we had a lot more talent and Major sponsors like an air line, bus company beer company and even a tv Deal. As Syd pointed out Unless you have been to a sold out arena during its heydays, You can not understand just how bad things really are in the MASL Its just sad how leagues and owners have destroyed the sport we all once loved. Honestly now I don't even care if I go to a game or not anymore I can watch it at home and if I get board fall a sleep in my recliner.

13. SurudRump

SurudRump Red Card

France
    France
    Oct 25, 2021
    It's awesome that you've been getting involved with MASL and had the chance to shoot some games. The experience must have been a blast! You make a valid point about the league's attendance and awareness challenges.

14. SurudRump

SurudRump Red Card

France
    France
    Oct 25, 2021
    Indeed, effective marketing and social media presence can make a significant difference. It's fantastic that you're committed to maintaining a professional level in your social media coverage of an MLS team. If you're looking to enhance your social media efforts further, you might want to consider exploring services like shopify app development agency. They can help with creating engaging content and graphics for your online presence.

15. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to stop photographing the games, Because my mom got sick and was falling alot, Its was strange how all this took place during the covid shutdown, My Mom went to the Last game played and she got to go on the floor and kick the soccer ball in the goal. She got a change to talk to ED Hale, I told him it was her first game and Ed Hale had Every single player come over and sign her jersey before the game started. Those are the things you never forget as a fan. It meant the world to my mother. who at the time was 78 years old.

Now she watches the game with me and she just turned 81 years old, there is nothing funnier than hearing her yell at the refs "how in the hell was that not a foul" All I can do is laugh because you don't expect to hear it and she is 100% correct.

Now I have to take care of her full time because she cant walk more than 5 feet. She recently had a fall and spent Christmas in the hospital, Now if this round of home PT and OT does not work, She will go on to in home Palliative care or in home Hospice Care. I really miss the games, But spending time with my mother now is more important than ever

NSL2004 repped this.