MASL League Meetings 2015

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    What high horse do we speak of? Is it the high horse that has watched countless people bash Ed Hale on this site and facebook over and over because he is the devil and the league is fine. Now, your defending champions have pulled out because in their words the league "is in a situation of organizational and administrative instability."

Vegas would be my front runner out West personally, and we saw where they played their most important game of the year last year. The East/Central would be up for grabs, Missouri would probably be my favorite, but a team like Rochester might surprise you. Either way, you could realistically see the MASL championship decided in a practice facility next year because people didn't want to see the writing on the wall.

But hey it's cool, we love indoor soccer so playing in front of 200 people in a pavilion for the championship is no big deal. I'm sure any real sponsors or television networks are just salivating at the thoughts of getting the rights to that.

kenosis, SteveCo and Joey Tee repped this.
  2. balthrop

balthrop Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Plano, Texas
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is spin, and there is the truth. The league instability is a convenient excuse for Monterrey, but the truth is they reportedly lost $400K last year. Those are not the kind of losses you are sustain year to year and keep playing.

KidFlash, EnricoSharke and SteveCo repped this.
  3. dallasindoorsoccer

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What have the sidekicks lost last year ?

4. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you learn something new every day . I never knew this

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    So why can't Monterrey join whatever Baltimore and Rochester are forming? Nice tidy three-team league?

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am told that league is no more. Before it ever was.

But stay tuned, who knows?

Scooge repped this.
  7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that all? ;)

8. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Does anyone REALLY think Monterrey going away is a bad thing? Yes, they were very competitive on the field.. but the cost alone to fly into Mexico for 1 game has to push $10,000 at least

Get your damn house in order here in the states before TRYING to sell yourself as an International League !

SteveCo and kenntomasch repped this.
  9. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    The MASL needs to hyper-regionalize and play as three independent divisions to cut down on travel costs. Something like this...

Midwest: Missouri Comets, Milwaukee Wave, St. Louis Ambush, Chicago Mustangs, Cedar Rapids. Detroit.

Mideast: Youngstown Nighthawks, Rochester Lancers, Syracuse Silver Knights, Harrisburg Heat, Baltimore Blast

Southwest: Tulsa Revolution, Dallas Sidekicks, Oxford City, Wichita B52s, Barracudas of Brownsville, Saltillo, Sonora.

Pacific Coast: Tacoma Stars, Sacramento Surge, Turlock Express, Ontario Fury, San Diego Sockers.

No need for flights. Play each team in your division at least twice home, twice away. Top two in each division plays each other in divisional final series. Have a final four all in one night at one of the four finalists. Only one flight on the year, and for three of the four strongest teams.

10. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Anything more than this?

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you went by bus, like the Blast used to.

:D

(For the uninitiated, there was a guy a few years back who insisted the Blast bussed to Monterrey - 1,941 miles - and he was sure there was a fan bus because he heard about it on the radio.)

You could fly BWI to MTY two weeks from today and come back on Sunday for $404 per person, supposedly. You might be able to swing a group deal if you worked with an airline quite a bit (there are also Delta flights that cost $400 that literally take almost 24 hours to get there).

But even a traveling party of 17 (14 players, 2 coaches, athletic trainer) would cost you $6800 just to fly IF you could get that same rate in the winter. And you'd still need ground transport and hotel and per diems and such.

Joey Tee repped this.
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nope, that's all I was told.

Beau Dure repped this.
  13. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is your ticket cost from Baltimore to Monterey 16 Players Head coach ,Assistant coach , Trainer , Doctor 20 People X $722.00 ( $14,440.00 ) Per diem expenses for food for the players $30 A day X 20 people for 2 days $1,200.00 , Team Bus $2,000.00 , Hotel cost @$80.00 a night x 10 rooms $800.00
    1 Trip to Mexico cost $18,400.00

upload_2015-6-26_15-25-45.png United5h 20m+from $722
    upload_2015-6-26_15-25-45.png American6h 15m+from $750
    upload_2015-6-26_15-25-45.png US Airways6h 15m+from $750
    upload_2015-6-26_15-25-45.png Delta5h 55m+from $771
    upload_2015-6-26_15-25-45.png Other airlines6h 15m+from $772

14. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only think this will work if some type of tiebreaker situation is put into place . In Case the situation pops up . Like a Shoot out competition after a game or play a Minigame .

15. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I highly doubt teams like Missouri, Baltimore and the likes would be willing to take way home field during the semis-and finals. I know this was acceptable when the PASL allowed teams to play in their backyard if they could pay the refs, but I don't think serious teams would allow the playoff format suggested.

Regular season I could see going completely regional.

16. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the whole thing about Mexico not being important and any other Country for that matter because there is so much work to do here, but damn, we aren't that many months from seeing what I thought was one of the very best finals ever, top three maybe. Plus, it's just not cool to see the Champ-especially those asses-get rear ended!

Oh well, Aussie Rules is starting-game on

17. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Although it was perfectly fine in the "Major" league for Cleveland, Philadelphia, and Monterrey to play their home playoff games on the road. :eyeroll:

lmfoust repped this.
  18. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Still kinda bitter about that. Kinda.

19. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    No, it was a mockery of a sport that mocking is starting to grow old.

Can't point to past mistakes made by one group to argue for continuing on the same mistakes or making the same.