Martins?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by B-Striker, Sep 26, 2003.

1. B-Striker

B-Striker New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Northern VA
    I didnt get to see the match and I haven't heard much at all about how and what Martins did. Can y'all tighten my up on this?

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a terrific game for you guys. Held the ball up really well and caused problems for the Metros defense all game. Blew a 2 v. 1 opportunity with Cerritos on this left but besides that, I don't see how you can have too many complaints.

Nice pickup. Gives you many more options heading down the stretch and into the playoffs.

3. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    He has speed and strength that was giving Pope and Jolley problems. Held the ball well, blew a wide open chance that I am going to write off as first MLS game jitters. Looks to be a very good pickup.

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Agreed. Martins was solid and you can just feel that he has several goals in him still. He also meshes well with Cerritos, Stewart, Olsen and Convey. As an option, he's in front of Esky easily.

5. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    i concur. i hope we see the same line-up on Sunday

6. I thought Martins had a great first outing. He is strong to the ball and is a good target forward. A little more time with the team and he should score. He blew by defenders at least of couple of times so he is deceptively fast also.

As stated earlier he did blow a 2 on 2 break, with a shot well wide of the goal. First game jitters maybe or just a bad touch.

I agree with Ursula - he is way in front a Esky. Martins seemed to be giving defenders trouble with his size and strength and also worried them in the air. That along with Stewert's service really made out set plays and corners kicks look dangerous.

-The Far Side

7. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Told you so.

There, now I feel better.

8. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Damning with faint praise

Rating ahead of Esky is no prize.

I think Stewart is obviously better in mid than forward, but Q2 has played extremely well and deserves to get back in the lineup. Martins should be the odd man out, with Stewart moving up top, though it wouldn't surprise me to see Convey benched.

I think Martins would be better coming off the bench if we need offense.

9. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    alright Thigao!!!!!!

I told you guys you would love him, so how about a Thiago Martins chant,

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    After clamoring for a while for the team to sign him, I was just really happy last night that he didn't make me look bad!

Though, I did take it kinda personally when he muffed that breakaway.

Seriously, it was a nice first game and he showed he can bring a dimension to this team that it doesn't have up top and he showed he's not out of place at this level.

11. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sinks one on the next breakaway, and there'll be a chant.

Of course, if he misses the next one, there might be a different chant.

BTW, I thought he was right to take the shot. The defender was waiting for the pass the whole time. He just shanked the shot. Next time...

12. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    Re: Re: Martins?

dont worry about that

13. jkorzen

jkorzen New Member

Jun 25, 2001
    washington, dc
    I'll forgive him the breakaway muff. Both Olsen and Stewart had clear shots on goal that they hit weakly at the keeper. Happens.

14. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I was really really impressed with Martins. Looks like he just had some jitters or something but once that gets worked out he's going to be great. I was very surprised with how fast he is. His body size speaks for itself but it's hard to find a guy who can move like he can.

15. azul

azul New Member

Dec 2, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Martins is someone who should definitely stay with this team. The combination of talent and hard work is fun to watch.

16. ataranto2000

ataranto2000 Red Card

Sep 22, 2003
    Thiba, he is the man!

17. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Considering DC United was playing against their biggest rival, on their home turf, Thiago did very good.

Thiago was a physical presence up front that DC United has lacked for a long time.

18. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Well, those of us who traveled to the Swamp last night improvised one when he was subbed out of the match - chanting "Thi-a-go" in the style of our "Di-a-blo" chant :)

Martins was wonderful last night. Very strong, great in the air, and superb at holding defenders off the ball. When he gets the ball with his back to goal, a Mack truck can't push him off of it. And, as another poster noted, deceptively fast.

He's a great pickup and, more importantly, he makes our entire team tough to defend on set pieces. If I'm the coach, he starts for the rest of the season.

19. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i was pretty damn impressed with him. not only could he win and hold balls with his back to the goal, but he also made some very nice plays running to the goal. he is comfortable trapping and controlling balls on the run and in traffic.

he certainly exceeded my expectations. he definitely added a nice dimension to the attack. i liked the fact he seemed to be comfortable playing the thinking, switching kind of game stewart/cerritos are beginning to knit together but also brought some skills/tendencies that ronald and earnie don't really have.

it has been a long time since we had a player who could hold attacking space in the center of the park. if he can become someone like that, cerritos,convey,stewart,olsen,dema,marco,q2,stoich could switch out runs from the flanks and midfield. these kind of guys running behind some strong holding forward play by a guy who wins balls in dangerous space. he definitely showed some glimpses of this.

i like the thought of making a stretch run with all these options. and thiago could really give us a chance to fully utilize the tremendous number of attacking options.

he really took it to the scum, he didn't play like a guy in his first match. i was very impressed at his aggressiveness. he seemed a pretty heady player too.

i don't really think it is overly useful to compare him to esky. he is much older than esky and is clearly more experienced and veteran pro.