Martinez v Moyes

Discussion in 'Everton' started by djcandle19, Dec 22, 2013.

1. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good day folks. Usually I post over on the Manc side of things, but I was curious to get the Toffees point of view on this one.

I for one, was a very big advocate of Roberto Martinez and his style of play. His attacking qualities, emphasis on possession, commitment to youth, and free flowing philosophies, all mirrored what was already in place at Old Trafford for many years. Wasn't exactly rocket science to want him to take reign of United over your former manager given those features.

That didn't pan out exactly the way I had hoped so we have what we have now.

I know we're only 6 months in, so it's difficult to gauge accurately and it's probably not fair to compare just yet, but how exactly are you enjoying life under Roberto Martinez in comparison to David Moyes?

Which manager do you prefer?

Are you happy with the league standings, style of play, tactics, selections, etc?

Feel free to sound off.

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, the most frustrating thing about Moyes was the conservative tactics he employed. Particularly against the "big" clubs and on the road, Moyes seemed too concerned with getting a point from the match, and was hesitant to have his team risk a bit more and go for the win.

On the plus side, though, Moyes does have a pretty good eye for talent, and he was able to put together a strong squad on a fairly limited budget.

My favorite thing so far about Martinez is that he encourages his players to play positive, attacking soccer, no matter who or where they're playing. It's fun watching talented players like Barkley, Deulofeu, and Coleman given free rein, and so far it's been paying off.

djcandle19 repped this.
  3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    djcandle19 repped this.
  4. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic article. Martinez's tactics are more suited to the positive attack than Moyes anyday of the week, and it's clearly showing.

Thank you for the read.