Marshall 2021

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Maclid, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Maclid

Maclid Member

Marshall (NCAA)
    United States
    Aug 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a 30 minute interview from College Soccer News with Marshall coach Chris Grassie, in which he talks about his transition from Charleston to Marshall, his coaching philosophies and how he establishes culture, and a bit about style of play.

The Herd enter conference play this weekend with the newest member of C-USA, Coastal Carolina, traveling to Huntington.

stphnsn repped this.
  2. SVHERD

SVHERD New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 3, 2021
    I get a chuckle from the big boys who say Marshall cheated with all the internationals. It's allowed and these kids work hard. They earn their degrees, give back to the community and represent the school with class. Right now Grassie could get just about any top American recruit he wants, but he likes the internationals due to their work ethic and team first mentality. Too many American players are pampered at the club level and think they are God's gift to soccer. Marshall has a bunch of American kids on it's roster as well.
    I realize it's very hard for a blueblood to accept defeat from a little guy but that's the great thing about soccer, performance on any given day can equalize the teams when talent is even or less.
    Grassie is a brilliant coach and great guy. He runs a clean program and it's only going to get better.

Chesco United and Maclid repped this.
  3. Garbanjo

Garbanjo New Member

Marshall
    United States
    Sep 3, 2021
    Great stuff Maclid. Grassie is the shiznit

Go Herd!

4. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    I didn't see anywhere where someone said they cheated. Someone said there was an investigation. The international player has evened the playing field and I will think you will see more teams (especially mid-majors) going that route. The future lies in modest academic schools (more scholarship money for academics) and cheaper living areas (stretch the scholarship even more) with rosters full of internationals. When you can get 15+ scholarships because of the ability to stack your $$$ (academic, athletic, cheap housing) it is a perk the better academic schools do not have.

5. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    No.
    In fairness to SVHerd, there were some that objected to the number of international players after Marshall won. I thought that was nonsense. As much as the tone of SVHerd "faux victimization" self-perspective that everyone dislikes them is bunk as well.

CollegeSoccer makes a good point about the usage of non-sports scholarships being employed to leverage additional scholarships quality players. For example, some schools use minority scholarships for athletes to circumvent the 9.9. I'm not saying any of these are wrong or illegal - it's the way some programs use the systems.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. Hardly any Americans want to live in Huntington OR West Virginia.

His track record has also shown he doesn't recruit OR play Americans. Which top American recruits would choose Marshall over Wake, Indiana, UNC, Stanford, Clemson, etc.?

7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's hating? Just stating facts.

2016 NCAA DII Championship, Grassie plays ZERO domestic players. 2021 NCAA DI Championship Grassie plays 1? domestic player.

Do you seriously think that domestic players do not see this?

Outside of that, do you not understand that WV isn't exactly a destination for anyone? Say "hater" all you want, but facts are facts.

BigBear, JoeSoccerFan and BigRedFootie repped this.
  8. Maclid

Maclid Member

Marshall (NCAA)
    United States
    Aug 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge homestand coming up for the #6 Herd as they host #4 WVU on Friday in the 2021 edition of the Mountain State Derby, and then host #7 Akron on Tuesday. herd then returns back to conference play hosting #14 Kentucky. Stadium seating is sold out for all games, standing room only tickets remain.

This is the statement week of Marshall's schedule with three highly ranked teams coming to town. The Herd's schedule doesn't contain too many threats after this week again until the final two weeks of the season when games against Charlotte, South Carolina, and FIU likely determine C-USA's final standings.

For this game against WVU, there is actually a planned tailgate and fan march planned to the stadium. I think this will be one of the best college soccer atmospheres you will encounter! Game is available to watch on ESPN+ Friday night at 7 pm.

9. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not going to "pile on" on Marshall. I'm really neutral about the school and the soccer program. I kind of wish that they were in the MAC.

As a player, though, the roster size would be a huge red flag for me. I knew that the roster size was large but was not aware of how large. I checked prior to this post. Fifty-three (53) are rostered this season. Of those 53, only 26 have seen the field this season and 3 of those were keepers. Most of the guys from the States are not getting many minutes if they see the field. Here in Chicago, North Park University, a D3 school, has 58 rostered this year and that is the only school that I can think of that has nearly as many on the roster as Marshall. NPU always has big rosters with a lot of Scandinavian players, particularly Swedes. That has more to do with NPU's affiliation with and founding by the Evangelical Covenant Church which was itself founded by Swedish immigrants in the late 1800s. Scandinavians feel welcomed at NPU.

I honestly don't believe that Grassie could get any top American recruit that he wants. If so, why doesn't he? Marshall is not a bad school for academics. It is not a top-echelon school either. It probably falls in line with most of the MAC schools or is perhaps just a step below them from an academic standpoint. The schools mentioned above, Wake, Indiana, UNC, Clemson, and in particular, Stanford, have superior academics. If I'm a top domestic player and I know that my career as a professional soccer player is not necessarily a given and that it might not net me as much money as a lot of other professional athletes, I'm going to want to get a great education. Marshall wouldn't stand a chance if I were being recruited by any of those aforementioned schools. All of what I said here are merely facts and not criticisms. It is what it is. There is no one "right" way to build a program - just different ways.

All of that said, West Virginia is a beautiful place. The Monongahela/Cranberry Glades, and Spruce Knob have been some of my favorite areas that I've camped and backpacked. I've even enjoyed skiing at Snowshoe even though I'm a hardcore skier that prefers Colorado & Utah. Also, I'm looking forward to a good matchup between WVU and Marshall. Hopefully I will get to see some of it.

JoeSoccerFan and ThePonchat repped this.
  10. swalton333

swalton333 Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Ref had a stinker here. Some awful decisions pretty much all against WVU. Why did he sent the WVU no10 off? Its just looked like he was giving some verbals to a marshall player and he gives him a straight red. Crazy decision.
    Good game though. Just needed a stronger ref.

11. Maclid

Maclid Member

Marshall (NCAA)
    United States
    Aug 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't send off #10 who was in on the play, he sent off McCormick who came in dissenting at the call, and the motioned and yell at the Marshall player, which caused the ref to immediately turn to him with the red card, so he must have said the magic words... but the card occurred with only 2 minutes left in OT2 so really didn't factor into the match.

All in all, probably a fair result tonight. Marshall generally controlled chances and possession, but WVU did convert on two breakaway chances. Marshall answered both times. Side note: This game set a new state record for largest soccer crowd in state history.

I do think both of these teams will factor heavily in the NCAA tournament this year.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  12. swalton333

swalton333 Member

Oct 25, 2006
    You can't be sending players off for not saying nice things to opposition players. Part of the game. Ref was awful, that decision really summed his performance up. You could semi accept if he was consistently bad but all his bad decisions seemed to go assist WVU.
    2 very good teams though.

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Actually, a ref could eject a player for "not saying nice things...". Your characterization.

I've seen players ejected for using the F word at the ref. It's dumb for the player but totally legit.

Let me also say, I haven't seen this particular match but in my experience watching hundreds of college matches every year. I may not agree with every ref decision in every match. But the overwhelming refs are fair and call adequate games, though I do have my favorites and the ones that I don't particularly prefer.

What I find more frequently is the fans for 1 team feel that the ref is to blame for a team's call. I'm not saying that this is applicable in your case - I haven't seen this particular match.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  14. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

How do players get red cards?
    A player will receive a red card if they:

• are guilty of serious foul play
    • are guilty of violent conduct
    • spits on a person
    • deny the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball
    • deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or penalty kick
    • use offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
    • receive a second yellow card in the same match

15. swalton333

swalton333 Member

Oct 25, 2006
    If this was enforced there would be 2/3 sending off per game.....imagine doing that in the prem. The ref was out of his depth. Some of his decisions were laughable. It happens when you get refs who have never played and just dont understand it. I don't think anyone who seem last nights game would argue that the ref had a shocker.

16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't the "prem."

The college game shouldn't be judged/compared as such. You can get away with way more in college than you can in HS. It's what happens.

17. Maclid

Maclid Member

Marshall (NCAA)
    United States
    Aug 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garbanjo repped this.
  18. Garbanjo

Garbanjo New Member

Marshall
    United States
    Sep 3, 2021
    Herd dominated Akron last night

Great win over a very strong team

Maclid repped this.
  19. Garbanjo

Garbanjo New Member

Marshall
    United States
    Sep 3, 2021
    UK tonight at the Vet

Go Herd!

20. Maclid

Maclid Member

Marshall (NCAA)
    United States
    Aug 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's the nation's third highest scoring team vs the team leading with the most clean sheets to start the year...

These are huge points for conference play tonight. A winner gets a huge advantage with both already tying Coastal (1-0-4 in conference play!!!) and both teams really only having Charlotte and FIU left in conference play that should challenge the rest of the year.

21. Garbanjo

Garbanjo New Member

Marshall
    United States
    Sep 3, 2021
    UK parked the bus and did it well

Disappointing result but we will continue to get better as the season moves along

22. Garbanjo

Garbanjo New Member

Marshall
    United States
    Sep 3, 2021
    Workmanlike performance tonight

2-0

Go Herd!

23. Maclid

Maclid Member

Marshall (NCAA)
    United States
    Aug 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next installment of Marshall: All or Nothing 2021

24. Garbanjo

Garbanjo New Member

Marshall
    United States
    Sep 3, 2021
    Need to keep the momentum and get a W over ODU today

Go Herd!

25. Maclid

Maclid Member

Marshall (NCAA)
    United States
    Aug 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pedro Dolabella scored all 3 Herd goals this week as the Herd gets 2-0 and 1-0 wins against Butler and ODU, respectively. Herd now has 4 clean sheets in a row going back to include Akron and Kentucky.

He should easily be the C-USA player of the week and consideration for national player of the week. His effort and execution these past few games has been phenomenal!

Garbanjo repped this.