Marketing update: “Rolling Stone” edition

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Beach Soccer, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Beach Soccer

Beach Soccer New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    The August 8th issue of <B>Rolling Stone</B> has a cool add.
    Significant because it’s the first American soccer add I have ever seen that doesn’t show a goal post or a soccer ball at all. It doesn’t even identify the guy as a soccer player, It just assumes you know who he his!!!!! An American soccer first I think. Maybe Mia Hamm had one maybe? This leads to the recognition of a trend shift in soccer advertising. Men instead of women soccer players in adds. Are the pink years over? Did the happy agreement between women’s soccer and those haters in the media that soccer would forever be considered a “girls sport” end? The answer is of course is no (see NBC’s Olympic coverage coming soon) but it’s a start.

It is a minimalist style add with a huge 2 page picture of Landon taking off his shirt. You can’t even see his face. The print simply reads <B>Landon Donovan wears Nike Sphere Technology</B> Notice how it doesn't say “soccer player Landon…” Very nice.

2. PhilipReed

PhilipReed New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    WMass
    Note also that Rolling Stone has a demographic emphasis that's probably far more relevant to building a successful league than most of those sports sections with the soccer-bashing senior editors. Among RS' presumably 20's and 30's readership, Landon Donovan is a celebrity. Who cares that the aforementioned sports editors would be more impressed by some baseball player from the era of theBrooklyn Dodgers?

Thanks for sharing this. Stuff like this is why i (occasionally) sift thru all the nonsense on this board.

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glass houses.

Andy

4. PhilipReed

PhilipReed New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    WMass
    Andy, i'm not trying to insult anyone personally. I'm just saying, the quantity of info i get come less and less close to justifying the time required to get it.

FWIW every discussion that i've had with you i've always found informative. You are so far from making the kind of posts that are driving me away that i'm actually disappointed you would take that personally. We've had honest and reasoned disagreements on issues. That's NOT what i'm referring to.

(And i would put this in a PM but i can't find the PM buttons any more. Is that another service they're charging for now?)

5. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phil,

All I am saying is that we all contribute to the nonsense that goes on here, or do I have to remind you of the thread in where you tried to convince everyone that France 98 would have averaged over 70,000 a game as long as the satdiums were big enough with out considering the fact that the biggest teams could not sell out even the small stadiums?

yes

6. PhilipReed

PhilipReed New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    WMass
    But that's just my point, Andy. I learned something from that debate about the attendance in France '98. I still disagree on the fundamental point about how FIFA would view a US WC bid (for other reasons notwithstanding my beliefs that were in error), but that discussion was informative to me.

We all have our share of dumb posts i'm sure, but when a user base gets as big as this site's it gets more arduous to filter through them. That's all i'm saying.

7. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I thought this thread was about Landon taking off his shirt.

Put your panties back on girls and get over it.