Marketing the Red Bulls

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Rooney20, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull hasnt done anything really to market our team but I was thinking they could use our winning percentage/not loss percentage at home to market our team. Over the last two years we have a 60% winning percentage at home if you count draws we have 80% not loosing. What other team in the Metro area has that kind of record? Not one. They need to make their customers feel like they are apart of somehting. If they come up with a tag line along the lines of this: Come out to GS and support the red bulls to continued success to winning at home. Ok thats really shitty but you get the point. Make the fans feel like they would be a part of something.

2008 home record
    9 Wins
    3 Draws
    3 Losses
    2007 home record
    9 wins
    3Draws
    3Losses
    18/ 6/6
    60% Winning
    80% Win/Draw/No loss

2. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    They are good numbers for that purposes, but who will do that, I don't thing is no body in the Red Bulls Offices who care for that. ..If you see they Web Page that could be used for this things, they ignore the page, and don't give news or report about the team and nothing, some time go by a week and they don't add absolute nothing in there, so, ...Forget it....

3. rwani13

rwani13 New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    i dont think the problem is as muhc marketing the red bulls to new yorkers as it is marketing the MLS...

4. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I don't buy the initial premise.

Mid-town Manhattan billboards, full-page ads in massive circulation newspapers, television and radio ads, etc. And as for the website, are these off-season complaints??? With RBI we have nearly daily updates with video.

I'm sooo sick of the complaints.

The marketing blitz will happen when the Arena opens.

5. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was not the point. I was saying they should use our winning percentage/percantage of not loosing as a marketing tool...When they actually start to market the team.

6. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Sure, and you are definitely making a great point. We seem to have solid home field advantage (despite our home)! I was responding more to metz's implication that RB doesn't market the team at all and I think that's unfair or uninformed.

There's long been a tendency around here, especially when it comes to marketing, to say that nothing is being done. The dozen or so people clamoring for NY2 argue such a point but it flies in the face of the actions and efforts that others of us see in our communities.

I wanted full-page ads in the papers. Got them. I wanted billboards in mid-town. Got them. I wanted better and more informative websites. Got them. I wanted a stadium of our own. We're getting the best in North America. All that's left is a title.

RBNY has been pretty clear for some time now that marketing will increase exponentially once RBA opens. I don't think you (Rooney20) were complaining, per se, but the "this club doesn't market effectively" is stale and no longer valid. Further, I think we need to ride this year out and hold our collective breath when it comes to marketing. It is all about the house, now.

7. eightyhoursaway

Jun 5, 2008
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Cannot agree more.

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't think someone is more likely to come out if they know the team wins at home. If the product is good and the fans are having a good time, they'll come out.

The only thing that would help them market the team is to attract a big-name player and we see that's not going to happen (again).

9. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that statistics are not really marketing tools. They are usually only important to a subset of existing fans.

I can't claim to know a lot about marketing, but I do know there is a bit of a difference between advertising and marketing. I think marketing came into play when they chose the location for the stadium. I think marketing helps direct advertising (which demographic are you targeting, for example.)

I think marketing may have opinions on what type of big star to sign from a fan attraction point of view, but also I think product quality control is also something important to marketing.

Anyway, I also agree with Doctor about the fact Red Bull has already done more in a few years than in the team's previous history, so I'm not all that worried about their advertising budgets and strategies.

The one thing I will point out, and I think we can all agree about this, is that the best marketing strategy for bringing focus and attention to our club is:

WIN THE CUP!

10. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Fixed your post. :D

11. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does anyone know winning% against turf/grass teams at home?

12. rich32

rich32 New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I definitely agree it would serve RB's best interests to increase marketing RBNY. They already invested significant money in purchasing the franchise, why not invest a little more for activation?

13. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    They've done a little more each year. Season Tickets, after all, have gone up each year. They haven't done a bonanza, but they have done more (billboards, NY Post covers)

Look for them to ratchet it up this season - more towards the end as the stadium gets closer to completion (and hopefully the team is doing well)

14. qzpt7

qzpt7 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    best marketing tool is a winning team. everything else will fall into place.
    They can start this year by leaving their mark in the Concacaf