Marketing Miami FC

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen the Sun-Sentinel yet, but Rusnak was at the game talking with Pieter & Aaron Davidson (I think...:eek:...).

The Herald had a good, descriptive article on page 10 under Michelle Kaufman's weekly soccer coulmn entitled "Testy first chapter in renewal of Miami-Tampa Bay rivalry ends in tie" written by Evan Drexler. I wish they'd given it more prominence, but, at least the game got a decent write up under a good coulumn about the UEFA Champions League and the Rowdies/Blues rivalry got a boost, too.

As a FYI to the Tampa attendee's; full credit to "Ralph's Mob" for your efforts and numbers was given in the article...:eek:...The same for the Ultra that greeted you with that huge, gawd-awful - it blocked my view for much of the game - 305 flag (I think we need to dupe it for 954 & 561 to show some South Florida solidarity...I ain't Betsy Ross, can anyone else chip in and help..:D..). In all, it was a worthwhile read. I hope that at least a few folks in Broward & Miami-Dade read it.

ETA: I checked the Sun-Sentinel online & found nothing about last night's game. They did have a nice sidebar photo feature on Lingere League football, but nothing about local soccer. In fact, they no longer have a tag for "SOCCER" mixed in with the tags for Dolphins, Marlins, Heat, Panthers, UM, High School Sports, etc. Maybe there will be something tomorrow. Maybe. Maybe not.

2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still nothing in the Sun-Sentinel. Rusnak has a radio show on WAXY 790-AM @ 1700 every Saturday. Maybe we won't get ink, but we'll get air time?

3. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    I watched the Rowdies-Miami (what the hell is a Blue?) on line. From the looks of it it was a small crowd, although bigger than the last game where I could count the people in the stands.

When Tampa scored it seemed that you could finally hear the crowd. Was it all Rowdies fans ?

The worse part was the constant attempt to DJ music through the entire match. That is so 1990s - today's clubs have fans that sing and chant (well at least on stadiums that have fans).

I thought Miami played some pretty good soccer - even after losing Gomez. It sad that there is nobdy to cheers them on (except a few dozen ultras).

As much I dispise the petty-minded sports media of South Florida, they have a point of not covering something less than 100 people would care to attend.

I wish the best of luck to the players and the fans of Miami (to be Ft. Lauderdale Strikers). Get rid of Traffic - you can start your own team and out sell Miami FC attendance.

Until things change, I'll have to support Tampa Bay as the team from Florida.

4. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had approximately 100 casual fans and Mob members down there. I doubt we'll ever scream for a goal like we did on Saturday night. Our first live goal and it was on the road to steal points from Miami. We might be louder later, when we are all together. But we'll never erupt like that again I don't think. I bet they heard us halfway back to Tampa.

:)

5. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    Antique - my comments were honest. I did not attack you personally, did I ?

If you read my post, I wish you and the Miami fans well. I think you deserve better.

If you want to post your frustration , would it not be more useful to aim it at the organization that has let you down and ignored you ?

I am a fan of soccer first, as I am sure you are too. Rivalry only works when there is an opponent. If Miami FC collapses - that is no good for American soccer or the other clubs, regardless of who they support.

Please be prudent with your comments and spend energy where it is best utilized.

Let's have a quality league !

7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think it will collapse?

My comments prudent? My comments are deleted. They were a bit harsh, but entirely honest. Also, I'm spending my energy trying to help MFC (Strikers), not diminish it.

Adios....:cool:

8. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005

9. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    Antique -

I sympathize with your plight. If you are a lover of the game, you take what you can get.

I wish you and the loyal fans of South Florida the best. I'll fight for your rights as a fan.

cheers

11. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers back atcha...:)

12. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MFC actually got some press in the Sun-Sentinel today in the form of a brief match recap by Jeff Rusnak. Also there was a very brief mention of MLS expansion about Montréal, which also quoted Don Garber as saying the league is looking at Atlanta and South Florida.

13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are recent Garber quotes:

"We need a second team in New York," Garber said recently. "I think by the middle part of the decade we will be at 20 teams. ... We continue to have discussions in Atlanta. We've got to be there (in the Southeast). ... St. Louis is an important city but without a stadium and funding...."

and the writer talks about FL in general.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...2956EB6176E3C00A8625771D000672CE?OpenDocument

14. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right back at ya:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/fl-soccer-rusnak-0509-20100509-8,0,4049343.column?page=2

15. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the attendance down there last night? 1,014? What's your average, something like 1100?

Then you want to argue D2 attendance/support isn't critical to getting MLS? That might mean more to me if despite only a thousand fans showing up you guys had a more vibrant and larger supporter base. 20 ultras, in all of Miami. Despite the team existing since 2006? And you guys didn't even bother starting your little club until 2 years later?

It will be a shame for Miami to get MLS. I'd rather Atlanta, St. Louis or practically anyone else. I can't think of many cities that don't currently have pro soccer and who couldn't come up with a more impressive supporter group than the lolUltras.

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True

17. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not....;)

18. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good read.... Miami should have an upper hand at MLS expansion spot number 20... CHeck number 8

IMO NY shouldnt get a second team yet, St. Louis bid for MLS the man behind is the Comish of the NASL, i think that deal is dead... Atlanta is just Atlanta, and Miami failed in MLS 2001 for other reasons and not fans... If we stayed in MLS we'd probably be themost succesful MLS team to date.. (with MLS in MIami we would be the Yankees of the MLS)

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...asons-why-new-york-should-not-get-another-mls

News Flash: Tampon Bay fannies, are real annoying and seem to have no life but blab on about there loser ass town how they can support a D2 team so well, get the EF over it losers... get a girl or something, get some kooch you tampa dudes really need it... get off of big soccer in the miami thread and do something with your lives..

19. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucho, tell your mom I said hi.

Yankees of MLS? LOL! That's got to be one of the funniest things I've read yet from a Miami fan, and that is saying something.

Tampa put it's money where it's mouth is and blasted you guys right out of the water. Your inaugural home opener attendance? 4k. lol And down hill ever since.

Attendance might not have been THE factor for losing MLS down there the first time, but it was a factor. Neither Miami nor Tampa can claim some great attendance figure from those years. However, you guys had an owner and a soccer stadium. Tampa had none.

Miami won't support the American brand of soccer the way a city like Tampa or St. Louis will. You know it and I know you know it because all you sorry "fans" down there have left is the name calling that you finished your last post with.

oh, did you tell your mom I said hi?

20. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    and once again from URINALCAKE and his tampon bay poopies:
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude you are delusional thinking Miami would be the Yankees of MLS.hahahahahahaha

you draw a avergae of around 1,000 with a pro team in town, you would need to find 10k fans to be at the bottom of attendance in MLS.

Tampa doesn't have to work so hard. BTW what was the deal with BARCA....oh yea you almost got a team on a platter but only 4,000 season ticket pledges.

The only way Sflorida will be a success is bring back FT. Lauderdale Strikers and never ever have anything named Miami again.

Read Kartik's report he is from South Florida and he really knows what's going on:

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/to...k-krishnaiyer/

http://www.nasl.com/blogs/naslblog/show/49

Tampa better market than Miami: potential MLS market

29:00

http://www.soccersam.com/media/audio/20091212.mp3

22. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arggg! Here we go again.

I don't see Miami FC's attendance as an issue when it comes to a potential MLS franchise and I'll point out why below. Traffic might be a Soccer company but all they know how to do is sell players. Not run an actual team. In my opinion they should step aside and let someone else run the team. They should supply the players to the teams thats what they do best.

Kartik is impressed with how Tampa has done so far. Props to Tampa for getting such a professional ownership. They know what they are doing as opposed to Traffic with Miami FC.

Here is why Miami is better then Tampa:

"The city is nicknamed "The Gateway to the Americas" for a reason. Miami is the most Latin American city in the United States. Latin America loves soccer.

Yes, the Miami Fusion failed, but they averaged more than 11,000 fans a game in their final season of 2001. That’s more than this year's average attendance for New England, Dallas, San Jose, Kansas City, or Colorado.

The interest for soccer definitely exists in South Florida—it’s just a matter of harnessing it."
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...asons-why-new-york-should-not-get-another-mls

Here is a little more:
    TV is Key
    "Basically, the situation in Miami though it was turning positive by the end of 2001 under the inspired leadership of Doug Hamilton was more to do with an uncommitted owners and the unwillingness of AEG to bail out the Fusion than anything else. Claiming the market “failed” is shortsighted and incorrect unless it is fair to claim every markets whose team was sold by an original investor also “failed.”
    http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/mls-expansion-tv-must-be-the-key/5080

Talk about TV, South Florida is consistently 3rd in the country when it comes to Soccer viewing. This means the potential for Commercials and other advertising money is huge. That alone could sustain a team. Sponsors are what keep teams affloat not the money that comes from the gate.
    I couldn't find an updated list because I should be working but here is a 2009 USA vs Mexico game.
    Ratings by city:
    1- Los Angeles
    2- New York
    3- Miami
    http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/quick-hits-tv-ratings-all-star-mania-concacaf-etc/5307

Who said Miami doesn't support soccer? Check out the gousabid leader board. Miami is in 3rd place n gaining on Philly! http://bit.ly/aM68g4
    Tampa is way behind us. Miami is sure to get World Cup games.

Barcelona Miami failed not because of the pledges on season tickets, that was never important to Claure. He never spent a dime on advertisement. All he had were volunteer Miami Ultras passing out flyers. Everyone, even Claure thought it was a shoo-in bid. At the last minute Claure wanted the price to be dropped (Much like Montreal wanted) and MLS said no way, they had suckers in line ready to pay the 40 million.

I agree that the Strikers name is the only way Traffic can salvage their team. But with their track record I'm afraid they could ruin even that name and history.

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok so basically you have proven a point that Miami supports international soccer. show me the ratings for MLS as far as viewership goes...

Also I don't think soccer fans don't go to Miami FC games because they are waiting for MLS. I think Traffic has alienated the non-hispanic crowd and basically the purists who go to Miami FC are of hispanic decent, so there you go.

BTW majorleaguesoccertalk and goal.com and mlsrumors.com are run by South Floridians so of course they all have a bias, I'm just glad Kartik can see thru all the crap they are posting, and like I said it again listen to this:

Tampa better market than Miami: potential MLS market

29:00

http://www.soccersam.com/media/audio/20091212.mp3

24. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been saying this and completely agree, you do not want Traffic to get anywhere near the Strikers brand.

You need fresh ownership that will do it right, relaunch the Strikers in D2 and build up support that way. And you need it now. I can see Tampa and Miami entering MLS side by side if that happens and is as big a success as we might have up here this year.

25. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just like to point out to the mods that his idiot is spamming this post in multiple threads. We all know Miami fans have very little else to say after what Tampa did last Saturday night, but its getting ridiculous now.