Market research/MLS viewers/politics

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Golazo, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    I have NO idea what to make of this.

There was a story in the N.Y. Times today about differences in auto ownership, recreational activity and TV sports watching preferences between Dems and Repubs.

A couple of intuitive examples that make sense:
    -45% of Volvo owners are Dems (only 32% Reps)
    -WNBA fans are 55% more likely than average* to be Dems, and 33% less likely to be Reps

*The recreational and sports-on-T.V. questions were plotted against a national average, the car questions were just plotted as a percentage of ownership.

OK, here's the weird part. The ONLY preference, out of 11 sports viewing and 19 additional recreational activities where participants (or viewers) were less likely than the national average to be either a Democrat or a Republican? Watching MLS on T.V. MLS viewers are 30% less likely than average to be Republicans and 18% less likely to be Democrats. And there is nothing even CLOSE to rating that way.

Like I said: I have no idea what this means (lots of Libertarians and Communists watching MLS Soccer Saturday? Lots of hispanic independents tuning in to the inDemand games?) I just thought it was weird.

(also, sorry, no link. I was using a hard copy of the paper.)

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take a stab at this...nothing.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Notice you have to be registered Rep/Dem to count. So registered party members are less likely to watch MLS than the "average American." Which implies that MLS's audience is. . . middle-of-the-road?

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alot of young people self-identify as independent, even tho they're loyal to one party or the other when it comes to voting. It's a faux-rebellion thing.

Anyway, that's my take...young self-identified independents are disproportionally MLS fans.

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dick Cheney doesn't strike me as man who watches a lot of soccer.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Saturday afternoons at 4 is his usual drinks-and-plotting-with-Satan time, so, yeah.

8. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else think this is pretty funny considering the state of the Politics forum round here?

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet if you did a poll there, and shot everyone up with sodium pentothal, you'd find the number of self-identified Dems to be lower than the national average.

Not as much lower as for GOPs, but still low. The number of 3rd party or independents would be massive.

10. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Geez, and I'm just worried about getting spyware over the internet. :p

11. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with John Galt and Hank Rearden trolling around on these boards, there may very well be something to this thesis.

12. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    If that's true, then there's an easier explanation -- disproportionate numbers of MLS fans are from Illinois, where you don't register by party.

But then, I don't think you really had to be registered as a Dem or Repug to count.

13. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think these polls tend to be on self-identification. I live in Illinois, a state with no registration. Yet, if asked by a pollster, I would describe myself as a Republican.

I think two things are going on here.

First, younger voters tend not to self-identify as much. So yes, you have lots of independents in a young MLS fan base.

Second, judging from the politics forum, you have a lot of people far to the left of the Democrats, so they do not identify as either! ;)

14. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I remember about 10-15 years ago during the height of the micro-brew revolution there was a brewery that ran print ads stating the "9 out of 10 people don't like our beer."

What does this have to do with anything? I don't know, but seeing the numbers on the graph made me think of it.

15. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS to the other "major league" sports is kinda like how a third party (Green Party for example - Libertarian if you prefer) compares to the Democrats/Republican parties:

- MLSers as a group are smaller in number but are fiercely loyal to their sport, tend to be better educated, tend to be younger, etc. just like members of the Green Party. MLS fans also have delusions of grandeur about the time when MLS will be the dominant sport in the US. (ie. when we will have "made it" - just like third party supporters).

- Likewise, MLS is newer than all of the established leagues (same for third parties); MLS has trouble getting the same kind of corporate media coverage that the established sports get (same for third parties); MLS doesn't get the same level of support from the political establishment that the other sports get (for example, see Mayor Bloomberg's efforts to build the Jets a $2,000,000,000.00 stadium - not so for MLS or third parties); professional soccer is considered a minor sport in the US (but is the largest sport world-wide just like the Green Party is the largest international political party). Ummm...the world cup happens every four years - just like presidential elections. (Help me out here! ;) )

Face it - you've stumbled on BigSoccer's BigSecret: you're all Greens/Libertarians/Independents and just don't know it yet. Even the quality folks who post in the politics forum.

16. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Think what you've got for soccer fans in this country, though:

--Foreigners/First Generation Immigrants
    --Youth/Younger Adults
    --People who have traveled abroad (generally an educated, independent-minded class)

These are marketing gold mines, but not usually loyal party types.

Besides, I myself would not have self-identified as a Democrat pre-Bush.

I always considered myself a fiscal conservative and a social liberal--hence, an independent--but what's gone on over the past 4 years has been so outrageous that it literally forced me into the arms of the Democrats with my money, time, etc. We've got a war without justification or visible exit, a record deficit that will bring the country to its knees, and a bunch of Bob Jones University types blaming gay people for the failure of heterosexual marriage. That's the reality of today's Republican party--so I guess that makes me a Democrat.

17. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Thats exactly how I feel. I guess there are many out there that feel this way.

18. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I feel the same way too, and you know if you ask around it seems like this is the view of a huge number of people - perhaps not the majority, but I believe its more common that all-out liberalism or all-out conservatism. I've always thought there should be a political party for people like us, the fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but one that's not as extreme as libertarians sometimes are. Such a party could really dominate politics. Too bad it'll probably never happen b/c people can't get over the third-party stigma.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    In the defense of liberty, extremism is no vice.

And so was said by a very wise man.

20. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a bit of a fanatic, but people generally misunderstood Goldwater all these years.

Goldwater was a libertarian at heart.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Only if you used mass media as a source of info on him.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, a (the?) key liberty to which he was referring was the right to exclude coloreds from your store, or to discriminate against them in hiring.

But like whores and ugly buildings, pols who were on the wrong side of the civil rights movement get more respectable with age.

23. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
  24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Uh, no. Barry Goldwater said that, he's from Arizona, and he was talking about Communism.

[​IMG]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/may98/goldwaterspeech.htm

As to where he stood personally on segregation, that's not so obvious. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/may98/goldwater30.htm

25. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I believe these statistics confirm is that MLS is way outside the mainstream right now which should not be a surprise.