Mark Ward - the rise and fall

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by Kent_Hammer, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Kent_Hammer

Kent_Hammer BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 7, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mark-Ward-B-wing-Premier-League-Prison/dp/0955934028/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241009955&sr=8-1"]Mark Ward: Right Wing to B-wing...Premier League to Prison: Mark Ward: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]

The above link is for the autobiography of Mark Ward, one of our legendary Boys of 86. The book is out tomorrow apparently. The link is for Amazon's UK website, I haven't checked out whether the book is available on other Amazon sites.

From the product description it sounds like some of it may be a harrowing read. Not sure whether I'll get it or not but I have nothing but good memories of his time with us. I'd be interested to know how others feel about his fall from grace and of course, your memories of his performances in claret and blue.

2. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    In all my years of supporting I have been to many away games but only one home game. It was against Derby roughly around 1988 ish. Rosenior scored our goal in a 1-1 draw.

My main memory of Mark Ward in this match was when he went into what seemed like a 60-40 ball with Peter Shilton (60 in favour of Shilton). That's the sort of player I remember Ward being.

He crunched Shilton with the tackle and left him lying still. As the physios looked at him his stillness caused the fans to start muttering "he's dead" to each other. Obviously he wasn't and he played out the rest of the game.

This is probably my best memory of him. :rolleyes: