Mark Rogondino Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lithium858, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this has already been brought up (which I'm sure it has..) but why has Mark Rogondino been announcing games on FSW and not Max Bretos? I think Mark is an upgrade over Max. At least it's refreshing to hear someone new considering it's either Max or Allen doing games on the network. I'm just glad they're not having Jon Herz (sp??) calling games anymore.

2. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    Max and Allen are doing the Galaxy matches on the LA Fox Sports Net local telecasts (And Christian is doing the same thing for Chivas).

3. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    You know what? I had to think about it for a minute, but you're right.

Mark is still bad. But at least he's not trying to be a clown like Max.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least once an episode on MLS Wrap - often repeatedly, Rogindino mistakenly get players names wrong.

During a game I can see it - but on a highlight show? That's pretty poor.

5. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, poor Mark. What makes him so bad?

6. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    He doesn't have a particularly good voice or delivery.

He gets things wrong a lot. He's not smooth. If he writes this stuff down before he says it, he's not a terribly good writer.

MLS Wrap sounds as if they give him ONE shot to do the whole program, 30 minutes in real time and they're recording on the fly. They could really help him out by letting him record stuff more than once when he stumbles or gets stuff wrong.

But that would require a decent producer, and MLS Wrap has never had a good producer since it went on the air.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it was the San Jose 10 PM game against Los Angeles. Pat Onstadt made 4 or 5 saves in a row. Rogindino credited him with 1 less save than was actually made.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Aye, the new MLS Wrap sucks. 25 minute program, not a single camera in the studio, games not played on Saturday are hardly mentioned.

Take 5 more minutes, announce the games between since the last MLS Wrap and before 4 PM Saturday, and make it a full 30 minute program.

I actually have to remind myself that he's doing in LA. The first time I saw MLS on FSC, it was a game in DC. Of course, I thought Mark was actually AT the game (silly me), and there wasn't a camera on him because the cameras had already been packed up, and FSC wanted their viewers to think he was in LA.

I ask anyone who knows ... Is there even a camera inside the FSC studios? The only time I see announcers on-screen are FSW Report (Canada) and Sky Sports News (England).

9. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    fox football friday is broadcast from their LA studio so they should have some cameras

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen that show yet, so can't comment. MLS Wrap is broadcast from the LA studios as well, but there's not a single camera in there for that show.

11. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I think his voice can be a little raspy at times and it sounds like he tries to sound that way. BTW, I wasn't aware that he did MLS Wrap now. Last time I watched it, Christian Miles was doing it. =\

12. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there we go, at least he's not Christian "Goes to Ground" Miles. :D

I guess Miles doesn't really believe in gravity. Anytime a player falls under any circumstances, he views it as a dive.

Other than Rogandino's somewhat annoying voice, he's not as bad as some of the other announcers they've had.

13. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i still just wish they would stick with the original broadcaster's audio for the highlights like they do for the english, french, and german highlight shows.

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I can't stand Rogondino on MLS Wrap when he reminds us that the GK is "technically sound" when he uses the top hand to make a save.

15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    This is a perfect post.

The show always feels rushed. I wish they would expand the highlights, actually do some analysis, show the 2 tables for more than 2 seconds, show the top goalscorer's table.

Harkes did not do the best job at the analysis and Sean Wheelock was too over the top - but at least in the hour show they had some flexibility to play with the format: show US highlights, talk about news and rumors, have in studio guests.

I find myself just skipping the show. By reading the wrap-ups and looking at the MLS webpage for the goals of the week, I basically get the same thing.

16. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    I'm going to guess MLS Wrap is in its current form because it couldn't generate enough revenue to earn its keep. Did you ever pay attention to the commercials on the show? How many promos did they have? How many actual paid :30 spots did they have? Not enough to pay the bills for two co-hosts and their air fare and the production staff and everything else.

Now they probably have a guy recording the feeds and charting highlights and another guy to edit the show and put the voice with the highlights and that's it. Much cheaper that way.

17. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't noticed that Christian Miles always calls for dives. I'll have to look out for that next time he's announcing.

18. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually pulled back on that tendency in the Galaxy x Real Madrid telecast. He was probably too star struck.

19. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm an idiot and forgot to watch it/record it. I realized it when they showed clips of it on the news. =\

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible that Mark is fairly new to MLS and just doesn't know many of the players' names. For example, I finally saw this week's MLS Wrap show and noticed that Mark massacred Robert Warzycha's name. I think that if you've been following MLS since 1996, you would know how to pronounce Warzycha, even if you don't speak Polish. He was a well-known, important player for several years. I'm not trying to pile on Rogondino. Quite the opposite - I think he may just not be very familiar with a lot of the names. I know he's called MLS games from time to time, but it may take more than a season or two to get up to speed.

Dunno. Just a thought.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or show MLS highlights from Wednesday and Friday games...

How can it be called MLS Wrap, when there's at least one or two games usually that are completely forgotten about?

This 25+ minute show format is horrendous. Next year, take it back to what it used to be. PLEASE.

22. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    I believe this is his third year around MLS. Warzycha may be a hard one. The others aren't if you've been paying attention. Which he doesn't seem to have been.

They used to. In fact, no matter what, there could have been a huge story and a 6-goal individual game on Saturday, but MLS Wrap had to do everything in chronological order since they were last on, which meant leading with that exciting 0-0 draw from Wednesday just because the producer couldn't be creative enough to not go in chronological order.

Time slot is the big thing for me - I always forget the thing's on. I need a DVR. But then again, the few times I've seen the show this year, I don't think it's been worth the hard drive space.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well ok. They're getting better. Still, no highlights from Wednesday's games, and they finished up early again.

WTF?

24. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    The problem is that with hour long format Wheelock & Harkes seemed to show about the same amount of highlitghts, with a lot of BSing as filler.