Mark Peterson, 1960-2011

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Mglnbea, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was with no small amount of sadness that I read about Mark Peterson's death in Washington, a couple of days ago, at the shockingly young age of 51.

Mark had only played in a small handful of US games, including three appearances (I think) in WC Qualifying matches in 1985.

I particularly remember Mark because he played in the first WCQing away match that I ever saw on television, vs. Costa Rica, a 1-1 draw that led to the infamous 0-1 loss to the same team, and elimination from the 1986 WC, five days later.

Mark had scored his only US goal against Trinidad & Tobago, in the 85th minute, beating Michael Maurice in goal. (Maurice was in the nets against the US four years later beaten again, this time by Paul Caligiuri; you probably heard about that one somewhere along the line).

So, his goal helps defeat T&T on May 15, he's in the starting line-up (but subbed out in the second half) in the winning rematch vs. T&T on May 19, comes on as a sub in the away draw vs. Costa Rica on May 26, but did not see the field (!) vs. Costa Rica in the elimination match played in Torrance on May 31, 1985.

RIP, Mark Peterson.

2. DSM2

DSM2 New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This was a real shock to me, too. Good to see others remember Mark. He was an outstanding forward on some excellent early 1980s Seattle Sounders teams. He had the misfortune of being born about 20 years too early and would almost certainly be a huge star today. Peterson contributed both as a player and coach.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2015553292_sounders09.html

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Very sad. He was a great forward at least as far as Americans were at the time. RIP!

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember him w/ the Sounders and the US.Never did understand why he didn't play in that last qualifier.

RIP.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I wasn't alive yet to get a chance to see Mark, but from all of your comments it sounds like he was a great player. Sad anytime someone dies this young certainly.

6. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am publishing this eulogy via a request from Mark's family and friends:

http://goalwa.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/a-tribute-to-mark-petersons-life/

"There was a grave error made at Mark’s celebration of life. The Pastor officiating failed to call up two of the speakers for Mark’s services. He deeply regrets this oversight and the family asked that we please share Mark’s prepared eulogy with as many people as possible. The eulogy was written by Mark’s family and close friends and was to be read by Todd Wyatt and Bill White. Therefore, we are sending this out in hopes that you will share this tribute to Mark’s life with as many of your friends as possible through e-mail, Facebook, etc. On a positive note, this will allow anyone who could not attend the services, to still be a part of Mark’s farewell celebration."

7. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISOOIs9Rkmg"]Mark Peterson scores goal for the US Soccer team - YouTube[/ame]

8. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, thanks for that clip!

That game was played on May 15, 1986 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. T&T had grabbed the lead in the 19th minute on an Adrian Fonrose breakaway. Chico Borja equalized in the 24th minute before Peterson's winner in the last five minutes of the game.

The US line-up that day: David Brcic, Perry Van der Beck, Dan Canter, Jeff Durgan (Paul Caliguiri), Erhard Kapp (he makes the long pass for the assist you see in the clip), Charlie Fajkus, Angelo DiBernardo (Mike Fox), Chico Borja, Ricky Davis and Hugo Perez.

In 1986, Mark Peterson's club team was the Tacoma Stars indoor soccer team.