Marine's mother: Support the fight

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Sine Pari, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Let's see if she gets the same kind of frenzied support here that Ma Sheehan does

Doubt it tho'

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/17/marine.funeral.ap/index.html

Read the rest on CNN

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    for the 3,128,642,903rd time: being against the war does not preclude one from supporting the troops

geez

3. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

:rolleyes:

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    how exactly is that a silly statement? see, the problem usually arises when someone says "support the troops", but means "support the administration" - i mean, how many of these cries come after someone has criticized the troops? now, how many of them come when someone criticized the war?

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I fully support this woman.

Everyone should have the right to express exactly how they feel, especially about something so personal. She is clearly proud of her son, and the work he was doing.

That doesn't make Sheehan less legitimate.

6. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I doubt it. Sheehan traveled down to Crawford for several days of vigils, and this mother spoke at a Cincy suburb.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    btw i'll also wait for the first republicon to denounce this woman for politicizing american deaths until they stoop to calling the shattered mother filthy names... certainly that shouldn't take long :rolleyes:

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So this moonbat screwball wants to send more kids to their deaths.......

Oops, thought I was ITN for a moment.

9. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Being a mother of a soldier does not give her any special right or authority to speak out for or against the war, and I wish the media stopped wasting people's already ferret-like attention spans on these non-stories.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Agreed. She can of course speak out about anything she wants, but the media doesn't have to cover the story like it's an appocalypse or something.

11. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Agree! They should have focused on Madonna's new wonder bra!

12. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    This needs a link.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I hate to agree with Ian on ANY issue, but I'm pretty tired of Sheehan.

14. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Look, Sheehan is the most illegitimate anti-war activist around. Her protest is not about the policy, per se; it's classic moonbat stuff...for her, and her moonbat brethren, it's all about the oil, or all about Bush's oil cronies getting rich, or the Zionist neo-cons actiing as puppets for Israel or some other half-cocked understanding.

Oh sure, she sprinkles in the justifiable lack-of-WMD complaint...but that's just one little piece of her nutsoid puzzle about the USA in general. Heck, she doesn't even think Afghanistan is legitimate

Moreover, this wacko vision of what this war was about is draped in her own sacrifice.

Also, this typical lefty reaction -- you can be for the troops but against the war -- sounds great in theory, but in practice is fraught with nasty little contradictions. Now, you could have been AGAINST the war initially going in, but that's over. We're there. We can't turn back the clock.

As a result, can anyone, really, be AGAINST what we are doing now? Right this instant? That is, trying to build a democracy? Trying to quell an Islamo-fascist jihadist insurgency?

In other words, if you are AGAINST the war now, you are AGAINST the possibility of success. You are conceding failure.

And if you concede failure, then you are telling all the soldiers over there, everyone of them now, who are risking their lives, and each and every soldier who has been wounded or killed, and their loved ones, that none of what they have done, and none of what they are doing, is WORTH it.

Face it...THAT's what you are doing if you are AGAINST it. You are telling them that what they do is useless, worthless, and means nothing. How would you like it?

15. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It really bugs you the amount of political damage she's inflicting on Dubya, doesn't it?

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't follow that If I am against the war, I am conceding failure. I could actually make an equally strong argument that supporting the war means supporting failure.

17. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is a special kind of idiocy.

18. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't expect you to understand it. That is why smarter men are in charge of such things!

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd listen to him if I were you, Revolt. He's bigsoccer's expert when it comes to not understanding things.

20. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I see.

So we would be successful if we cut and run, and admit failure in what we are trying to do?

I am glad I don't have your moral compass.

21. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Then what are you AGAINST actually? Right now. Englighten us.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Have we admitted failure on the whole WMD thing?

23. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Sure it does, though not as much as the relentless negativity of the MSM.

I can't believe, for example, that the News Hour would devote a segment to this crackpot.

But hey, it is what it is.

24. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    The past is past.

What about NOW. Right NOW. Are you or are you not against what we are doing RIGHT NOW.

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say or imply that. Moral compasses aside, we could easily be at a point, where not successful outcome is possible.