Marcus Hahnemann will start against Cuba

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by rja3, Jul 6, 2005.

1. rja3

rja3 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    The national team is staying at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Seattle and I work at a Starbucks on the bottom floor so we've had some nats around the last couple days. Today I talked to Marcus Hahnemann and he said he would start Thursday with Kasey Keller starting against Canada.

2. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks for the skinny

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Excellent tidbit!

Glad that Arena knew to start the Seattle player first... and the Olympia one second :D

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hey, doesn't he get enough silly coffee lingo at work?

5. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    Glad to hear it, if it's true. We need to start the process to figure out who amongst the young keepers will be Nats material down the road. Congrats to Marcus. I hope he posts a clean sheet.

6. andythemick

andythemick New Member

Aug 22, 2003
    louisville, ky
    How does Marcus qualify as a young keeper? Or a potential starter down the road? Don't get me wrong, I love Marcus and I'm glad to see him (possibly) get the start, especially in Seattle, but I just don't know his playing helps us figure anything out about our goalie situation. Keller will start in Germany, with Howard and one of Hahnemann, Rimando, Hartman, or Brown as the other two, with Hahnemann having a substantial leg up on the other three.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info!

And hey, if you find out anymore tidbits, let us know. :)

8. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Keller I feel the only option will be Howard. Maybe Marcus can find his way onto the WC squad as the 3rd gk (behind Keller and Timmy)

9. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    Guess there really are benefits to having a Starbuck's on every corner...

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It would be smart to play more of the reserve players against Cuba. Since games are so close together, you could have the reserves play against Cuba, regulars against Canada, reserves against Costa Rica, then regulars in the QF and beyond. Everyone would be well rested.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can you do me a favor? can you spill scalding hot coffee on landon's nards for me?
    thanks!
    :)

12. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it will help determine if Hahnemann goes to Germany as the top back-up, as a #3, or loses a slot to one of the MLS guys. He's been in camp, and this seems a golden opportunity to give him a chance between the pipes in a real game.

Flash back to Gold Cup 2002, and ask yourself why our then-seen-as back-up keeper got so much playing time. That keeper darn near worn the starting job for the WC with his stellar play, and it certainly helped clear up the situation for the next four years. The back-up heading into Gold Cup 2002 was Keller.......

Hahnemann's playing can help determine a great deal.......

13. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awesome , thanks!

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    LOL

15. gnatfan

gnatfan Member

Mar 10, 2005
    He certainly is deserving of a start. Interesting question of who is the number 2-- the starting GK at Reading or the sometime starting GK at ManU

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    FYP

17. Chung'sleftboot

Chung'sleftboot New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    or the Superman, Bazooka Joe Cannon! :)

18. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I knew if anyone would get it, Sandon would.

19. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    So Rja3, if you happen to meet and talk with Bruce Arena, pls ask him if he would release Donovan for Galaxy-Real Madrid match for me ? thanks.

20. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm looking forward to the Gold Cup, just hours away now 'til the first US game.

Only started watching the last time around thanks to reading threads about it on BigSoccer. Thought why not - give it a squint. But when you sit down with a brew and no expectations for the what seemed like a joke competition, it actually turned out to be fun to watch, despite its obscurity. Anyway on the excitable Spanish stations they make every game seem like they're World Cup finals.

So since I am fortunate enought have all the relevant Spanish lang channels, would be a crime to not use 'em, especially knowing how understandably pissed off many US supporters are who don't get any or all of the matches on the box.

Seem to remember Kasey making some big saves. With all those English league keepers it helps me thru their off season, something extra to watch when the Quakes are not playing. Women's Euro 2005, Yoof Cup, and Confeds Cup ensure it's year round footy on an almost daily basis these days.

I don't have time to watch every single match, but I'll definitely be checking out all the games involving USA, Canada, and Mexico, and the knockout games.

Good thread. Will be interesting to see how BS posters react to the US and tourney in general as it unfolds. Let it begin. Make mine a Keoke coffee.

21. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Hahnemann cap-tied to the US yet? (Honest question, though I know he wouldn't play for anyone else.)

22. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/players/marcus_hahnemann/

He has four caps, with one shutout. He has the longest time between caps for the USMNT, with his first three coming in 1994, and the next in 2003. He has no caps since then.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Please, please, please stop using the names Rimando and Hartman in the USMNT forums. These names should only be used in the MLS forum.

24. im_spartacus

im_spartacus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Santa Clara, CA
    I haven't seen Joe Cannon on the USNMT in some time. Is he more or less out of the picture? I like him over all those guys except maybe Hahnemann only because I haven't seen him play. Brown has been good in the past, but I don't know how well he's doing abroad.

25. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was accepted on BigSoccer that landon doesn't have any? ;^)