Marcus Haber Signs for West Brom (England)

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by LeGooner, Jan 6, 2010.

1. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i cant really say that is progress for haber- playing for canada has been an embarrassment and leads to only frustration and disappointment

2. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    whatever you say shiek...

3. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    saying i am the Sheik exposes you to the your small-mindedness-- any1 who thinks a little different and outside the box is a threat to your little world of soccer opinion

i dont need to be the Sheik and i am NOT

4. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    the last 2 games for marcus:

october 16 away at inverness- 1-1- haber came on at the 63rd minute-- no goals, no assists-- attendance-- 4 800

october 23 away at hamilton-- 2-1 win-- came on at the 79th minute-- no goals, no assists-- attendance-- 2 800

since being in the spl this season, marcus has scored 1 goal

5. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    result for October 30-- a 3-0 home loss to celtic

attendance= 6 866

marcus played the whole game

6. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    by having a magnificent 2 year total of 4 goals in about his last 50 games, marcus has been rewarded with a great honor-- playing for canada's mens' national team in their next exhibition game
    this tells us about the state of our national program and any hope of qualifying for the next WC 2014/2018-- wont happen!
    this is not meant to embarrass or sneer at marcus-- its just the plain truth-- stats dont lie

7. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You missed the CIS Scottish League Cup match where he played really well in a 3-2 Loss against Shellick during his 30-odd minutes on the field.

8. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    while i am happy he played well in his 30 minutes of game time, marcus is a striker-- his sole purpose is to score and create goals-- a big, hustling, bustling, aggressive striker are a 'dime a dozen' in the game-- a striker who can score regularly are the types who move on to higher quality teams and games-- 4 goals in the last 50 games will not 'cut it' IMO, especially when he is playing at the nasl and spl level

i still think he would make a better central defender than a striker-- he just does not have the skills to strike the net on any type of consistent basis

hopefully he has not missed a career in MLS, although i am not convinced he would be good enough even at that level-- the caps young player, cornelius stewart, has more potential than marcus

9. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think you are wrong...his skill set lends more to him being a wide role midfielder.

10. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

Haber has played 55 career first-team games. He has 11 goals.

And if you're going to say strikers have to score goals, then why mention Stewart, who scored twice in 19 appearances, a rate that's worse than Haber's?

11. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Because facts often get in the way of a good story/witch hunt :D

12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    latest game results for november 8 at home vs kilmarnock-- a 3-0 loss

attendance- under 3 300

marcus came on at the 84th minute

somebody has just told me that he is finished for the season with a torn ACL which, if true, will require surgery and a long rehab, probably 1-1 1/2 years (ask hargreaves about that!)

i am NOT on a witch-hunt for marcus-- just letting the stats speak for themselves-- i look forward to the day that promising young canadian soccer players see their best option as the MLS and i place my hope in the 3 MLS teams in TO, Vancouver and Montreal

do i think marcus has a future in euro professional soccer? - NO

do i see him making a go of it in the MLS? -- probably not, but he has better odds-- plainly put-- AGAIN-- i think he really missed his opportunity to make a professional career-- and it could have been in the MLS with the caps

it can be done-- a power in CONCACAF and a real chance at making it to the WC by 2022-- as long as the CSA keeps its incompetent hands off the systems these 3 teams are developing

if canada ever produces another owen hargreaves and he heads to euro football, he will no doubt find some historical roots to another country with more soccer prominence and he wont play for canada

stifling someone's opinion by making comments that i am on a witch-hunt against haber is completely untrue- a forum like BIG SOCCER should have reasonable debate and sometimes disagreements- but do we have to get personal and 'dirty' with our comments?

after all, i can assume that all people on the Board want soccer to succeed in NA and the MLS in particular

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are an idiot. That is all.

14. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    sportie, my post was a jab/pisstake... good thing you saw the emoticon ;)

Listen, if Haber was here in NA (and I'm just playing devils advocate here...) He would be playing on plastic pitches for most of his training and at least a quarter of his games at the "pro" level... whereas over in Europe he is getting better coaching and soccer-specific training and sports medicine as football is first there really... the Alex McKechnie types aside... so there's something to chew on anyways...

and stats are for losers ;) <---- That smilie means I'm joking.

Haber's injury is a cruel one as I myself have suffered a similar injury, that's not fun.. his ACL is reported as being severed/snapped versus torn... :eek:

15. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    so typical of some of the southsiders groupies-- come up with a differing point of view and u r an outcast and besmirched-- much like what happened to me and a few others with regards to the waterfront stadium

maybe that's why the caps decided to piss you off with their season ticket higher prices in the end zone-- they are hoping for another supporters group to emerge that is more open and friendly, regardless of differing points of view-- something that has happened in seattle where everyone belongs to the supporters who wants to, regardless of their soccer politics

at the end of the day, we should love the caps and look forward to embracing MLS in 2011-- there is unity in diversity, but it takes a smarter mind to see it

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm..Look at what club I support, dumbass. Heck, not only do I not support the Southsiders, I'm not a very big fan of supporter groups in general. The reason why you're an idiot is because you think MLS will become more of a draw for young Canadian players than Europe. Canadian soccer is at least a decade behind American soccer and look where the majority of our talented players are.. If Toronto's, Vancouver's, and Montreal's academy systems start clicking they might get some players for a few years, but anyone with real talent will head over to Europe. The only thing that's amusing about all of this is that you somehow feel slighted by Haber for pursuing what is the dream of very soccer player in the world, to play in Europe and hopefully for an EPL team. Obviously Haber has been loaned out to lower division teams, but he's still signed to a WBA and if he had performed better he would have been up in EPL now.

Frankly, it baffles me why you've continuing this crusade of yours. If Haber is annoying you, just wait until the Whitecaps start to lose players that have actual talent to European squads. MLS is a feeder league and that is not going to change for a very, very long time. The sooner you accept this and start to actually take it as a compliment that your coaching staff is churning out players that have enough quality to play in Europe the better it will be for you. If you continue with this whole "OMG!! He left us!! The bastard!!!" bitchfest of yours, you're not going to be a fan of the Whitecaps for much longer.

17. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    you obviously have not read and/or do not remember my comments about owen hargreaves choosing to play for england over canada-- while i would not have done the same if i had the ability, i understand his reasons for choosing england-- haber is not annoying me-- in fact what i have been saying is that i believe he has made the wrong decision to go overseas; firtsly, he lacks the skills to reach any significant status (please note his goal-scoring pace of 1 goal/12 games, including games in D-2 with the caps); secondly, he is playing part-time in the spl before crowds well under the caps D-2 numbers-- how he sees this as progress is beyond me! now he has an injury that will keep him out for 1- 1 1/2 years-- we wont be hearing much from him until 2012, sorry to say!

as fas as supporting the caps, i have been doing just that since their early years in 1973-1974-- that will NOT change-- but like you, i choose to show my support my own way-- my previous posting did not mean to disparage the Southsiders Supporters as a whole; they add atmosphere and fun to a game-- my apology to the organization

and i do agree that canada's only hope of doing better internationally is the 3 MLS teams development programs

the latest canadian player to 'fly the coop' is teal bunbury who plays with KC-- saw him play in Phillie and he oozes potential-- he's going to go the usa route and can anyone really blame him?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_ylt=Ap8tOnYd4eszVfe0vXe6TDkHNgU6?slug=ap-us-southafrica

1 day i believe i will see young canadian players seeing their soccer future in MLS and hopefully playing for canada, taking us to the WC

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rule #1: It is always better to go to Europe if you get the chance than it is to stay in D2/MLS.

Even if Haber crashes and burns in Europe (which history says is more than likely) just practicing with the better European coaches and better European players is almost always beneficial to the player if they go over there with the right attitude (see Adu for wrong attitude). There are obviously instances where a player will crash and burn in Europe and then come back to NA worse off, but in most cases the overall impact to their career and skill level is better.

Add in the fact that once a player is in D2 it is usually pretty difficult for them to break into MLS unless he is head and shoulders above the rest of the talent in the league and Haber wasn't even close to that. While it is true that Vancouver was announced as an expansion club there was no guarantee that he would have been one of the players that made the jump with the team. If/when Haber crashes out of Europe, the fact that he is coming back from Europe virtually guarantees that he'll at least get a look from a MLS team.

19. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    now that haber has been released by west brom, we'll see how many MLS team, including the Caps, go after his services as a striker-- i doubt there will be a bidding war
    at best, he will be a D-2 player when he gets over his injury- no happiness in that, just a fact

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said that there would be a bidding war, just that he would get a look.

21. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    he missed his look when he left the caps and mls (a second rate league) to go to a third rate league (except for celtic and rangers) after being loaned out by west brom to st johnstone, playing b4 crowds of about 3 000-4 000), scoring 1 goal in 12 games and then getting injured

he either took foolish advice or believed that he was much better than what he really is-- he had 1 good season (i believe it was 2008) with the caps playing alongside gbeke who has/had more talent and skill for scoring

wish him well, but i wouldn't look for the caps to sign him

22. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    It did amaze me how many Caps supporters seemed to think he had a chance over there. It was always clear to me Brom would not keep him around for very long.