Marcus anyone???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Now that you mention in, what is the latest on Adin Brown? I heard recently on an MLS broadcast that his career may be over. Hopefully that's not the case. At his best he was quite a good player.

Marcus should, and most likely will, get another look by Bruce. He very well could be an EPL keeper next year. The problem is that he's at the same level as Walker, Connon, and Meola (now in his advanced age). There's no reason to bring him back to America from Reading unless you start him.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Did you just say 90% of the A-league couldn't compete in the 1st Division? Make that 100%, and it wouldn't even be a contest. MLS versus 1st Division might be an interesting battle, but I think Reading is better than MLS teams. Just an opinion. Marcus is indeed in a good place, and proving himself well against tough competition. The game that's always pointed out was the Cup clash with Chelsea, after which Ranieri couldn't praise him enough.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Please tell me this is a joke...
    What has Brown done that would suggest he would be a better option than Marcus.

By the way, put me down as a person that would love to see Marcus get more chances... I think he's terribly undervalued in the USA

4. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sort of like a certain Texas governor we voted into office four years ago. Or, to be level-handed about it, his Massuchusetts opponent this time around. The devil you don't know is often more appealing than the devil you do.

But back to USMNT... I couldn't agree more with Ringo on this one. The fact that they play abroad gives us 1. less info about them, and 2. an implied stamp of approval (for some). Hope springs eternal, and it's easy to gravitate toward these guys.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I disagree.
    Bad form by the keeper has nothing to do with the defenders in front of him... ask Brad Friedel about that.

Tim was playing poorly for ManU... hate to say it, but he was shaky.
    Had Rio been playing, he may have cleared up some of the defensive lapses... but he wouldn't have stopped Tim from dropping crosses or shots. Yes the total number of goals scored would have likely been lower - but Rio himself isn't going to make Howard any better ... just like Rio being in the game doesn't make anyone else better. ... he just makes the team better and makes some look bettter because he cleans up mistakes.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just to agree, I would hate to see MH return for nats games in which he was not going to play, but I would like to see him get another couple caps.
    Also, if you're drawing comparisons between colo colo and reading, I don't think that's apples and apples. But, do not undervalue walkers' performance there.
    There's a sizeable US pop viewing Reading, and a very good understanding of the level of not only the team, but the opponents. Colo colo is a steep learning curve, and many of the opponents are even more unknown to the us soccer community. Not saying they're worse, but it's a lower profile league (no idea, me. I just read about 'em).

7. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a serious question. How old is Joe Cannon? Because since he's obviously an incredible goalkeeper if he's under 30 he should definetly be in contention for the starting position for the U.S. (although that would also mean that we would have to completely discount his play in France), if he's over 30 then I understand why nobody has placed him in the younger generation of quality keepers.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Joe Cannon will shortly be 30.

And so what?

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team: