Marcus anyone???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Oct 20, 2004.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    W. Keller all but w. his position secured in the USA, and Howards very shocking collaps in form at MAN U and Brad's AWOL, am to big for you guys cause I get scored on 4 times a week, cheap shot additude at Regulation bound ROVERS.

Why not bring in MARCUS HANNEAMN (SP). I mean he has helded down his job a READING for a while. Is a fan faviorte... I mean he is far better than Walker in my book. Why not. Give him a chance....

OPINIONS????

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    USA coaches got an extended look at him during the ConFed Cup and were reportedly not at all impressed with him.

3. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    I like Marcus (former Sounder and all), but I would say that Cannon should get the next look at GK.

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I completely forgot about him. Says a lot about the depth, when you can just completely forget about a goalie at a respectable English championship team.

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Where do you get this stuff?

MH has to currently be considered our most successful goalkeeper not named Friedel (not sure if he counts though). Do you really think they would write him off after a single poor showing in a USMNT camp (if that is even so)?

I would certainly feel more secure with MH in goal than Johnny Walker right now.

6. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    A recollection of Hanhemann from his time here with the Rapids:

If a long shot came in that wasn't tough to deal with, he would often chest trap it, or even take it on his head. I mean right in front of the goal. It was a hoot and made him a real fan favorite, though I am not sure the coaches loved it.

He is way better than Walker.

7. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    I've never seen him play so I can't comment on his keeping. When was the last time he played for the US anyways? Either way whoever they call up for goalie I don't like seeing Johnny Walker on there, I don't always trust him in goal for the metros I think I'd probably have a heart attack every time someone took a shot on the national team.

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I think he started against New Zeland in Richmond in June 2003.

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I gotta say, that I'd take Hahnemann over Howard right now. I say Bruce should just have a big single elimiation "keeper wars" tourney to decide the starting spot :)

10. gbalzac

gbalzac New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Adin Brown

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    it is so, but I can't find the link. It was written by either Wahl or Connely. both are pretty much 100% reliable when it comes to this. I'm sure someone else remembers this.

how he feels about him now I have no idea but he was the National team for like 2 - 3 weeks training with them

12. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hahnemann and Cannon would be my picks to call into camp for Jamaica, and since Arena harps on club form so much, they should get called up. But Cannon is out-of-his-mind-good right now so he really should get the start.

As for Walker, don't forget how pathetic the Metro backline is outside of Eddie. Also, Walker's experience in Chile gives him an edge over the other second-tier US keepers in my mind, at least when it comes to starting at a Central American venue or at Mexico.

13. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Yes he did, played the 1st half with Cannon playing the 2nd.

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be, but Walker was just abysmal for the Metros this year. Sometimes the large number of goals are your defenses fault (somewhat the case in New England) but Walker let in way too many soft goals, mistake goals and set piece goals.

I'm hoping Arena continued to call Walker in as the backup because of his relationship with Bradley, knowing he could wind up in a battle royal with Hankinson or Sampson if he called in Cannon or Hartman merely to sit the bench.

I have no idea what the issue is with Adin Brown and the concussions.

15. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    I never could see what the fascination with Walker was.

Regardless of what happened in the past, players can improve. Case in point, 5 clean sheets for Marcus in the league where EVERY game counts, because it means huge $$$ with promotion to the EPL on the line.
    (and he's working on Clean Sheet #6 right now, as Reading is pounding Crewe 3-0 at the half)

With Howard's implosion (he hasn't even DRESSED for ManYoo in 6 weeks) and Walker's mediocre play, the coaching staff HAS to explore all options.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, Wahl is reliable.

Hennehmann can be a legitimate back-up to Kasey. He is not as athletic as Joe Cannon, however, whose exclusion from the national team is a mistery to me. With the MLS goal scorers - and I am using the term loosely - stuck in low teens, Joe has a real chance to be league's MVP this year because the Rapids would be nothing without him.

Fear with Brad is not just that Blackburn may be heading toward the relegation but that he'll end up as a back-up in place like a Newcastle, at which point, it won't be his decision about playing for the Nats.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, but the best keeper, statistically, in MLS this season is Bo Oshoniyi. Don't believe me? Look it up. 5 shutouts in 9 games, and the only keeper with a less than 1.00 GAA. Throw in a shutout over SJ in the USOC, too.

I don't hear calling for (and I'm not doing it either) Oshoniyi to get called up by Bruce, but Bo's been just as impressive as any American keeper with the possible exceptions of Cannon and Busch over the last two months.

The fact is, keeper is not a problem position for the USMNT. I personally don't see any particular reason to call in Hahnemann.

18. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i tihnk we all know bo isnt gettin a call up period, so lets move on.

i think MH should get another look, considering his last one was 2 summers ago, and it was only in a camp. hes been playing great all season thus far, and my read on him is taht hes a big guy with surprising jump, agility, kinda like adin brown. i say get him in another few camps, maybe even some pt in a friendly.

cannon is another really worthy candidate, his play has been stellar all year. i love that guy and im hopin he gets a camp in soon too.

forza inter

19. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    just ask kirovski about the save cannon made on him in the 2nd half....

i wouldn't be surprised to see arena go mls for the 3rd keeper, and it NOT being walker this time around...

I just see keller as the guy arena goes to, but by enxt februrary, hannemann might be in a position to get the call to camp, simply because he's playing and all the other mls guys are NOT!!

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Marcus, on the Reading website, is referred to, every time, as "American International Marcus Hahnemann."
    He really didn't play that well last year, but this year he's been better and at time very good.
    He's not as athletic as some of the younger choices, but he is very, very smart, and he is really good with his feet. His distribution is better than most keepers, and seriously better than Keller's (which is painful/frightening, IMO).
    But he's not going to make a long-term impact with the USMNT at this point in his career. I think the backup keepers need to be younger talented players who will be in the picture beyond 2006, and will gain from the experience now. Unless they see him as a starter for a game or two (and I think it's pretty clear that is not the case) he'll have to be content with taking us up to the EPL. :)

21. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MH could very well be considered an option, but I'm sure BA would go with Howard or an mls keeper before him. He's definitely an option though.

Mind you, Howard hasn't played since Rio has gotten back, and I'm sure if you threw him back into the thick of things now, his bad form would magically disappeared... :)

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people on bigsoccer fall in love with the unknown and swear a player they've never seen is better than anybody else we have. hence, the fascination with with Walker from his Chile days ... I think a lot of the cries for Walker is just a carry over from this, because now that they have seen him play with the Metros, he ain't so special. he's not bad ... just nothing that separates him from the pack of the other MLS keepers.
    this also explains why posters on here want every single player who's ever set foot on european soil be capped, even though they've probably never seen them play or could even pick their face out of a lineup. it's the same thing in the music forum -- people only like bands you've never heard of. makes 'em cool.

23. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    walker's days at colo colo, he's seen a number of pressure matches, unlike some of the mls guys, who haven't really been placed in a pressure cooker...

that's walker's major advantage..you know what you can expect out of him...

if I was going into saprissa and my choice was cannon or walker, the past history gives the edge to walker..if the match is here, then cannon would be fine...

24. cvilleva

cvilleva New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Cville Va
    The best point made here is that we don't need any more keepers of the Friedel/Keller generation. We need younger guys like Timmy to keep getting experience.

Given the near term future for keepers I would argue for giving minutes to Keller and Howard so that they both have some first team minutes which helps keep them in consideration for the first team at their clubs which in turn helps the national team to have 3 first teamer options.

25. whatasave18

whatasave18 New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    As a fellow resident and goalkeeper in Seattle I would love to see Marcus in there. I am much younger than him at 22 but i have trained with him and watched him play throughout highschool and college at my former and future school in Seattle Pacific. He is awesome, there have been some great GK's at SPU but he is by far the most talented. He for sure deserves a shot over all of the keepers in the MLS. Cause lets face it England's 1st DIV is like our D-3, honestly 90% of the A-league teams couldn't compete with the 1st Div. Marcus is holding it down and representing the country on one of the biggest football stages in the world. Give him the #18 and let him prove himself for the 90.