Marco Van Basten 122 Goals At Ajax Video

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ChizzyChisnall, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    This is a goals compilation video I made of Marco van Basten at Ajax. Captures 122 out of 152 goals (around 80%) he scored at Ajax.

tLB Odiseo and PDG1978 repped this.
  2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thoroughly enjoyed that, even if in some parts, the video quality wasn't the best. Thank you very much for that. KUTGW!

3. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    There are limitations to the video quality of the 80s, but I do my best.

4. objectiveneutral

Oct 30, 2014
    Thanks for this video. Where did you get these goals from? Do you have accaess to the matches that he played under Cruyff by any chance?

His finishing technique is probably only surpassed by Gerd Muller. He hits the ball so cleanly.

5. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    I found these goals littered all over youtube. As for full matches, I don't see too many. Just three matches:

Here is the 1987 Uefa Cup Winners Cup Final against Leipzig (MvB scored the game winner here):

UCWC Semi-final first leg vs Zaragoza:
    (first half)
    (second half)

UCWC Semi-final second leg vs Zaragoza:
    (first half)
    (second half)

objectiveneutral repped this.
  6. objectiveneutral

Oct 30, 2014
    Thanks. I've seen those already. It's very difficult to find Ajax games when Cruyff was coach.

Do you reckon you could also try and do a similar video for Gerd Muller?

7. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Yes, I could definitely try. Interesting player to do.

8. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd argue his finishing technique is quite superior to Muller. I've seen him score some ridiculous goals.

9. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    He has more ways to score, but not necessarily a more consistent finisher.

10. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree, but we were discussing specifically finishing technique

11. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    My opinion is that consistency is part of technique. If one could be repeatedly effective using one or two types of technique, I would say that person has better technique than someone who can finish all sorts of ways but not as consistent in any of them.

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Penalty conversion rate is where finishing happens in a controlled environment and ticks this logic. That is where you see consistency in a recreated setting.

Gary Lineker might be put in the mix too, then. Since his OPTA data for the World Cup is more outstanding than other great strikers (shot/goals, shooting accuracy). Not very varied in scoring, but consistent by that measure.

13. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Lineker is a great shout for this type of player. I also remember Bacca in his last year at Sevilla having the most efficient goal-to-shots ratio but having little variety in the ways he scored.

14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I guess the misunderstanding comes from our different definitions of finishing technique then. For me, technique defines the ceiling of difficulties someone can reach, and very little to do with consistency.

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I back down from claiming who is the better (or best) finisher - at their best state - and certainly in a categorical sense but here are the penalty stats.
    http://www.transfermarkt.de/marco-van-basten/elfmetertore/spieler/74471
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/gerd-muller/elfmetertore/spieler/35604

Not unsurprisingly the misses came near the end of his career (in the year 1992, in the euro92 shoot-out as well). In Serie A the conversion is 24/26 which is one of the best in history.

At Milan he shared penalty duties with Baresi and Virdis (later Papin) - in case of Baresi quite often drawn by MvB himself I saw. For the national team R. Koeman was the default first pick throughout his time.

Muller shared penalty duties with Breitner. Breitner himself was a very skilled penalty taker (30/36 in league) which also underlines that penalty taking isn't fully interchangable with 'finishing' (however: Lineker and CR7 also do great here). But it is a setting that lends to consistency and "repeatedly effective using one or two types of technique" instead of showing all sorts of extreme stuff but not being consistent.

16. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    That's fair then.

17. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Thanks for the data. I'm highly surprised that Muller missed that many penalties.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Depends on perspective. Next to a CR7, Le Tissier, Rush or Lineker it is "many". Next to Baggio, Maradona, Messi, Romario it is fine.

19. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    I don't think Baggio and Maradona missed more penalties or had a worse penalty conversion rate than Muller.

20. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

100% of his ajax goals with the best footage quality available

21. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Thank you very much.